View Single Post
Unread 19 Apr 2006, 07:45   #40
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The funny thing about cooking is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I do believe so, it's what the rest of our civilised world call 'bacon'.
I'm sure you would struggle to find a chef who agreed with you on this one... In any case, lets not derail this wonderful thread Pig has started.

Another firm favourite of mine is Gammon Steak with new potatoes, carrots and white sauce. Very, very simple, you can boil the potatoes and carrots together in salted water (though I would advise a slight delay before introducing the carrots to the pan), the gammon steaks can be fried or grilled in about 10 minutes, all while the white sauce is bubbling away on the hub. Simple, delicious. Theres no need to get fancy with this meal, certainly no listening to crazy elder relatives about flavouring the water.

I used to be an advocate of always frying cuts of bacon, believing it to be tastier, and would regularly hear the same from others. However, as my skill with a grill increased, it became evident that this isn't true. In any case, frying or grilling, and no matter what cut of bacon you are cooking, I'd advise the following:

1) Score the meat - By this I mean draw a sharp knife multiple times across the surface of the meat, at regular (3cm intervals, though no need to get the rulers out for this one). Not so deep as to cut through the meat, and not so shallow as to be invisible to the eye.

2) Snip the fat - If your not one of these health obsessed maniacs who insist on removing the tastiest part of the cut, please do yourself a favour and make a number of snips perpendicular to the length of the meat, from the edge of the fat to the edge of the meat.

The reason I advise the above two measures is to stop curling of the meat. This is especially important if the meat is thinner, or you plan to grill it (where you have less contact with the meat). Curling is the bane of all well cooked bacons, especially under many grills, where the temperature increases a lot as the bacon curls up towards the grill.
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote