View Single Post
Unread 14 May 2006, 11:54   #35
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Those hijackers granted temporary asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I am concerned about the lives of the hijacked, which is why I wish that most of the 78 of them who applied for asylum had got it. How about you?
Not everyone that gets hijacked is an asylum seeker, rather obviously.

Quote:
It is ok to risk other people to save your own, and the ultimate responsibility for what happens to them lies with the people who's aggression you are fleeing - the ones who started the whole chain of events. If you want to say that harming innocents to save yourself isnt justified, then youre going to have serious trouble justifying warfare (as Jonny says), especially incidents such as Hiroshima and Dresden.
I do not believe that putting innocent people in danger can be allowed to pass without punishment. Society (by which I mean any community of human beings) cannot, and does not, function at the level of the individual. You care for the lives and the rights of the hijackers; it would be illogical to discard the rights of the hijacked.
We could take this chain of responsiblity you seem to advocate to implausible, and possibly infinite, lengths. Why stop at the government? What about the President's mother? Responsibility lies with any individual who breaks the law. Whether the action was justifiable in any sense is another issue.