View Single Post
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 00:44   #12
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Rape: should liers lose the right to anonymity?

Am I the only one who's seen the stories in the press over the past year or so about women who've been named, prosecuted, convicted and jailed for lying about being raped?

But I agree with roadrunner - anyone accused of rape should have total anonymity. There shouldn't just be a ban on reporting it: the police should have to try to make sure no one (friends, family, etc.) even finds out about the accusation until someone is convicted (as opposed to what they like doing at the moment, which is walk into his crowded workplace and announce "John Smith, you're under arrest for rape" in a loud voice).

This would hopefully (a) stop innocent people being pilloried and (b) stop the false accusers who know it'll never go anywhere but want to ruin someone's life anyway (no point in making stupid accusations if no one will ever find out).

P.S. In before Yahwe points out that no one is ever "found innocent".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote