View Single Post
Unread 11 Apr 2006, 00:21   #36
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: A 2nd reason to buy a mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
It's pretty simple, if you want to game/typical pc users, then go windows + ibm compatible machine.
If however you need extra power for: graphic design, music production, ... go mac.
I've been using a pc at home and mac at school for the last 2 years and tbh i'm leaning towards mac more than pc nowadays. They work faster, crash less often, the os is also very handy once you've gotten the hang of it.
I welcome this bootcamp with open arms and now might throw out my home-pc and get me a mac.
Ok, I have to use a mac when I'm doing work in the physics department at uni (don't ask me why scientists of all people would run OSX) and I can honestly say that they are the most infuriatingly shit peice of software I have ever used, and the hardware is appaling too. The cooling is woefully inaduquate (this is on those little screens with computers inside them), so that if you do anything too taxing they crash, and ruin that lovely sleek image they have by sounding like a V2 taking off when the fan starts to spin.

Also, regarding the battery life of real laptops, i'm running an AMD64 3400+ and I get 4 hours battery life with ubuntu, so I'm not really that fussed about making the change to a mac laptop.

The next thing would be why would you really want windows anyway? run linux (if you're on a mac you can use either of these).

Another thing to note is that the mac uses an american keyboard layout with (as far as I can recall) no | button. That may not seem like a big deal to you, but it bloody well is to me.

Yet more joys in the web browser department. I'm an opera user (or at a push firefox), and used to think that IE was the worst available web browser. I was wrong, safari is probably one of the biggest peices of crap known to man. Yes I know proper web browsers are available for a mac but that's not the point. Surely they could at least show that they are better than bill in this area, but apparently they're not.

At this point (before I choke on my own rage at the mac) I should acknowlage that any idiot can use them, but is that really such a good thing? Do we really want more idiots (and we have plenty) invading the world of computers? Should it not stay the world of the at least vaugely competent, ie those intelligent enough to breathe?

I should also mention that the mac's OS, although pretty enough I suppose, has a huge defect concerning maximising and minimising windows. As it turns out the maximise button on a window does not maximise the window, as one using, oh, I don't know, any other operating system would expect, but just changes the size of the window in question. Is it just me or is that not a little bit retarded?

One final thing to say about macs, of all the things I hate about them, and they are plentiful, the one that is by far the worst is that there is no bloody right mouse button. Why the hell would I want to hold down the apple button (or sometimes control) to make up for the fact that they want to be different? Individuality is good in a competative market but there's a damn good reason that button is there! Not to mention the scroll wheel.