View Single Post
Unread 15 Aug 2008, 21:08   #35
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Make the manual a Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
You seem to me to have a very narrow view of what is in the manual. How would being able to edit the politics page, or mining page or heaven forfend, the journal page allow people excuses for cheating? This isn't rhetorical, I honestly don't know how it would and if you could present reasonable cases I would be open too changing my position on this.

That said, pages like the exception system might warrant protection. As you say, erroneous content here is much more costly than (say) a vandal deleting the section on covert operations for a few hours (or minutes).

The default, however, should be 'open to edit'. We tried it for over 3 years on PAWiki and found that almost everyone who edits does so with the intent to improve the content.
Yes some of the pages in theory aren't open to be changed to help cheating, however Fiery isnt Mystic Meg and can't look into a crystal ball to know the future and you arent Doc Brown and have a Delorean Time Machine to go and see the future. As such Fiery, you or anyone else cant tell where the next form of cheating and bending the rules unfairly is going to crop up. Who would have thought for example that the production page would ever have been able to be used to 'cheat'. If its open for the groups of cheats to make their cheating look legit and argue their way out of getting punished by making key changes its an issue. Even people editing it without any malicious intent but who lack the proper understanding could cause issues

I do see how a wiki 'manual' could benefit the game and help people learn but I just don't think its worth the risk to move the manual to a wiki system. IMHO it makes more sense to simplify the manual and then having a wiki player guide system to complement it.

The Manual would be the definitive guide that players should ultimately refer to and if there a dispute could be refereed to while the Guides would make it clear that it was user generated and shouldn't be taken as the Gospel truth but would provide a deeper insight into the game. Under no circumstance could the guide system be used in a dispute and that would be made clear
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote