Thread: The BNP
View Single Post
Unread 9 Jun 2009, 11:32   #112
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
Re: The BNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog View Post
Because the changes the mainstream parties would make would be to move towards BNP ideas (although obviously in a less extreme form), and most things the BNP advocates are terrible - even if you ignore the racism/immigration stuff. Saying 'radical change is needed and the BNP is the only party offering radical change' ignores the fact that the 'radical changes' offerred by the BNP are in the wrong direction. Just because change is needed, it doesnt mean that any change is good; things can always get worse.

I mean yeah, discussions about the BNP are always going to end up as arguments over immigration, but we could also talk about the horribleness of executing paedophiles, vocational education, police states, homophobia, or any of the other awful BNP policies that dont revolve around hating brown people.

Thats not racist and it reflects a legitimate feeling of unease that many people have about the decline of strong national identities. Throwing accusations of racism at the BNP doesnt do anything to combat the feeling a lot of people have that traditional cultures are being replaced by global homogenity. Obviously hating immigrants isnt the answer (and immigration isnt even the problem), but pretending that the issue doesnt exist and claiming that all oppostion to globalisation stems from racism isnt a great solution either.

Whether the BNP are racist really isnt the point - they arent ever going to get elected so the hidden agendas of their members arent terribly important. What is important are the feelings that are making people vote for them, even when these people probably arent particularly racist. Its about culture (and its disappearance) rather than race, and excluding these issues from mainstream debate just helps build up the feelings of persecution/resentment which leads to people voting BNP.
Best post in this thread so far! But still.. as Light discussed, my main concern is immigration. I believe (and so does my brother who holds a masters degree in politics and international business - so its not just us clueless laymen that think it) that immigration is a huge problem in this country, and want an australia-like system - right or wrong - thats what we want. I, and mannnnny others, want the tories to start adopting similar policies.

I'm not saying i want the tories to start taking on the BNP's policies, but BNP-votes may force the tories into a middle ground area.

Off immigration, I also think the benefits system needs a complete and utter shakeup. The education system needs to actually teach stuff instead of teach students how to pass exams by memorising answers from previous years (thats how I got an A in chemistry instead of the C or D i deserved). Education needs to become harder (I work with russians, they were doing at the age of 17 what I was doing in 2nd year of university - leaves people like me feeling despondent. There's nothing I can do, except study 24/7 in my spare time, to catch up with the russians/etc - by the age of 24 they're already years ahead. I feel betrayed by our education system). I personally am all for bringing back the cane and such (though very highly monitored - and yes I would have been caned once or twice at school - though would I have done those naughty things in that case??). Only the clever should be encouraged to go to university - christ, I think the government has lost track of what university actually is.

Argh. I hate this country in so many ways - decided to end the rant there.

Last edited by newt; 9 Jun 2009 at 11:37.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote