View Single Post
Unread 23 Dec 2006, 00:19   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
the power of music!

there are tons of great songs, for sure. but i mean, what are the songs make you FEEL? i've recently been thinking more and more about these 'special' songs that give you goosebumps. most of the time these songs have to be heard in their normal position going through the album they are in, for me at least. but when i really listen, there are some songs that really hit me and send me into some vague form of a high, or drive me with some real passion to kill or to make something of the world, or something a whole lot less inspirational. do you have such songs? songs that aren't JUST personal and aren't just ones that hit you close to home (though they apply too)

i'm not sure if i've explained what sort of songs i mean, here's one:
empty cans, off the album 'a grand don't come for free' by the streets. during 'the' revelational line, i feel myself float with some sort of giddy spirit and feeling. and i think to myself: jesus christ, i love life. there are very few other songs which make as happy as that song does, in all honesty. though it must be said a huge part of the songs' effect is lost unless you listen to the whole album and get the story etc.

here's some other songs (there's obviously a good few number more) that send me into some sort of heightened state of emotion, whether it be hopelessness, paranoia or a furious desire to just.. whatever:

circa survive - house of leaves
converge - jane doe
murder by death - those who left
godspeed you black emperor - sleep
world's end girlfriend - give me shadow, put on my crown
plan b - no more eatin

i'd like to talk more about empty cans itself but i feel that initial listen was basically an aural orgasm, maybe the revelation wasn't that surprising in retrospect but it really is so.. reassuring, and i don't want to take away the effect from anyone if they wanted to listen to the album to see for themselves.

jerome is offline   Reply With Quote