View Single Post
Unread 27 Aug 2006, 23:16   #43
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: well worth a read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
some random thoughts:

1)
2)
3) "
4)
5)
6)
7) .
8)
9)
10)
11).
(1) yeah
(2) true, but that doesn't necessarily make business/enterprise as important as an academic subject, given that civilization was built without that stuff being an academic subject. much like spoken language, society would certainly collapse without it, but happily the key points are obvious to anyone by the age of 10.
(4) this is perhaps true, but i think you miss that there simply aren't the people available capable of making it 'interesting and beautiful' to teach all levels. society could take some of them away from their work in industry/what have you to make addition/arithmetic beautiful to 6-year-olds, but they've chosen not to. i for one agree with their choice.
(5) you'd be hard-pressed to find any topic that the right person couldn't make valuable and important.
(6) i tend to think of university admissions as being biased towards people who do the work they are told to/are intelligent at present. these do lead toward people liking schoolwork more than others, but i think they also capture 'potential to do well in future' better than most other standards i could easily imagine
(8) yeah that did seem pretty dum
(10) it's hard to respond to this without more information, but are you talking about college, high school, or elementery when you say 'no on should be forced to learn anything'? either way, i don't see as being obvious how schools could do a better job in this area (not that i think they do well, but i don't see how on va about intilling this curiosity)
(11) because the curriculum he designed for undergrads is ubiquitous for college physics courses?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote