Thread: Polls
View Single Post
Unread 21 Jan 2008, 21:59   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Polls

First, successful propaganda is based on the truth. Propaganda doesn't necessarily have to be a lie. There are in fact shades of propaganda, from white to black. White being from open sources and truthful, grey being from hidden sources but truthful, and black where either the source is hidden or intentionally deceptive or the content is a complete fabrication or a lie.

I think you've taken a very negative idea of propaganda from Goebbels' points of propaganda or whatever it is. He was of course Propaganda Minister in a repressive Nazi regime so perhaps referencing him as an example of propaganda in its entirety is somewhat slanted towards your view that propaganda is bad.

I know you understand that propaganda pervades our lives everyday, but I still think you are of the opinion that propaganda is bad. It is not, it is an inherently neutral activity in terms of morality because it is not the propaganda that determines its nature but its intent which I said previously.

While some propaganda may encourage consumerism and the status quo (who said the status quo was a bad thing?) there is other propaganda that encourages us to give to charity, stop climate change and prevent car crashes etc.

Therefore it seems clear that there are degrees to which propaganda is benificial and detrimental to everybody and thus, I repeat, that viewing propaganda as some nasty human activity that only promotes things that some may find distasteful, is flawed.

PS. This post is propaganda.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote