Thread: Tk
View Single Post
Unread 2 May 2008, 15:33   #3
Kenny

Re: Tk

It would definately keep the idiots out of class and allow those who actually wish to evolve intellectually the oppertunity to do so.

That said, the amount of morons in society would exponentially increase the longer such a system was in place, chosing to 'be cool and miss school'.

From what I understand the main reason children have a problem with school is because they just don't like being told what to do. It's a general problem with authority and it's one that's becoming increasingly commonplace throughout society. It's starting in the lower levels of education and becoming systematic through the entire learning system. And as such, we (the 'responsible' adults) are pandering to an increasingly uncontrollable demographic. Even degree level courses have been set to the 'lowest common denominator' these days.

Having a degree used to mean something; it was a symbol of the height of society's intellects being recognised for their outstanding grasp of a particular field. Degrees have become so commonplace these days, they're simply used as a filtering system. Instead of respecting those with degrees; we simply don't respect those without them.

Personally, I'm doing a degree course at Abertay University of Dundee. Don't get me wrong, I like being at uni - but my course is shockingly poor. It's a Web Design and Development course and I'm sorry - but the lecturers themselves are clueless most of the time. I am 100% certain that I'd have learnt more about web design this year had I just spent more time on the internet reading basic tutorials. It's not a particularly great university in the grand scheme of things, but it does prove my point that degrees are becoming less of a sign of distinction in character, and more of a 'standard' that has to be met.

Addressing the issue directly at hand though - there is enough disinterest in school and attending school at the moment already, without further adding to this by feeding pupils the notion that it's irrelevent* and just part of a grander scheme** which they should feel honoured to be part of. This system may well work for a small minority, but with the interests of the majority to consider, I don't see this working on school children.

Paul Graham is working off of the notion that he now has had the experiences in life to make the judgement that if he was to 'do it all again', he'd view things differently. Well, yes, maybe. But he's basing his conclusions of how he would do things again based on what he understands now.

And giving this choice to children without the same life experiences to guide them would be irresponsible. As with the case put forth by UN - it may well work at higher level education, but the state of schools is bad enough already and I fear that this would only serve to make things worse.

*"It's not important, it's just something you need to get it over with"

** Education.