Thread: A Plane Problem
View Single Post
Unread 20 Feb 2010, 15:39   #435
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of
Re: A Plane Problem

I can't believe im posting on a 5 year old POS GD thread.... what is my life coming to.

Quote:
The original hypothises was that the plane would not be moving over the ground. That was not the case in this test.

Imagine a rope tied from the front of the plane to the post at the front of the treadmill. If you pull that rope, everyone should be able to see that the plane will move forward. The essentially frictionless wheels are irrelevant, they just spin faster.

The effect of the engine is the same. It pulls the plane forward through the air.

Your problem is that your premise would not work. The only way the plane will remain stationary with the engine on is if there is so much friction between the wheels and the surface that it creates the same force going the opposite direction... but in that case it would have been forced off the back of the treadmill while idle.

I am going to go cry now.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote