View Single Post
Unread 4 Jun 2007, 21:38   #36
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No. You don't have to accept the lesser of two evils. I understand what you are saying, but you do not have to just accept it. If the choice available is being kicked in the chest or the head then meekly accepting one or the other is not an attractive choice. Better to say "**** you." Even if it results in the worst option for you I'd prefer that then go through life knowing you cheerfully endorsed someone who promised to hurt you.
I see where you are coming from. But I want my vote to count.

We could argue that if turnout was low and people say voted with their feet, i.e. not turn up then a political party would emerge that would engage the masses and challenge the big two. In effect people believe the Liberal Democrats will do this. Yet when Labour and Conservative were weak, the Liberal Democrats hardly made a dent in the overall percentage of seats in the commons.

Liberal Democrats are the third way (not anthony giddons third way, I mean offering another choice.) But unforunately they don't seem to have the vision or leadership to offer this path.

Even if they did offer it, which some people believe they do (I think Yahwe triumphs the Liberals) they stand little chance of making a signifcant impact. Which is why if I had to choose between getting shot or getting stabbed. Well **** me both would hurt, but stab me any day.

I see it like this. If I don't vote, or rather if I voted for say the Liberals (or the Green party, the party I would like to vote for) and then the Conservatives got in. By me not voting for Labour I have just put myself in a worse position for making some kind of ideological gesture that no one other than myself can see.

Instead I would prefer to ensure that primarilly I protect my immediate interests. It's a weird flip side. I am very much in belief that every vote counts. Yet I am unwiling for a number of reasons to vote for another party, for the fear that the Tories will come into power.

Quote:
Hmmmm....not sure about this. It's been a while since we did that stupid Political Compass thing, but I'd say the majority of the regular politics posters are not particularly left-wing, especially if you're defining that as any association with labourite politics.
I'm not defining the left with Labour, because the left no longer sits with Labour. But many of Labours supporters are still left in their orientation.

I always thought this forum to be somewhat liberal and leftist. But I am probably in agreement with you when you say that posters on GD now aren't particularly left wing.

It probably has something to do with not actually experiencing any real hardship or issues to motivate you to go to the left (I don't think that made sense, but I hope you understand) and also moving from being students to becoming a worker , albeit well paid graduate workers who don't like to see their money pissed up the wall because of high taxes and a war.

It is my belief taxes are to low though so I shall be quiet.