View Single Post
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 16:03   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

It'll go better like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
English - as it is except having to do INDEPTH analysis of Shakesphere - ie be aware of what he did, admire how he rocked is all thats needed.
Native language is very important. There's nothing I despise more than Finns who can't write proper Finnish.

Quote:
Maths - teach with REAL LIFE examples, ie not "Sally saw a cliff when she was in her boat. The cliff was xxm high and she was xxm from the shore, how high is the cliff?". Replace with "Simon was building a roof and needs to know how much material to buy. If the width is xxm and the height is xxm, how much does he need?". Who the **** wants to know the heights of a cliff, use the internet ffs.
Maths is sort of double-edged. Some will be needing it a lot, some won't. Also, it'll be piss impossible for some people to understand a bit of, so I guess for "mandatory" education maths is only necessary on low levels. I'll skip the science part. Also, I'll skip the art and drama because they're bullshit too. (People who are really interested in art history or how to paint penguins better will do it irregardless, most people gain little from these).

Quote:
History - backgrounds to the country THEY are living in and politics of the past 200 years to understand HOW the world works. Who talks about Henry the 8ths 4ths wife sister these days anyway?
History, and what goes nearby, societal sciences. People who don't understand a flying **** about how the society works in principle are pretty annoying too. Although, there will always be those who have lived, and will live, with their heads in a bag.

Quote:
Foreign Languages - should NOT be forced on people. If they want to learn French or German or whatever then offer the facilities. If they don't want to, open up to new choices or extensions to taken courses
Of course, not forced. Not being able to speak a single foreign language can be seen as a sign of idiocy too, and it certainly won't get you on an international career. Native English get it too easy. If I had spoken native English, I would have spent my time with something useful, like Chinese or Russian.

Quote:
PE - 3hrs a week of excerise, regardless of taking with GCSE level or not. Sort out the fatty's
The fatty's don't get sorted through school. It's the parents that are feeding little Joe doughnuts and not making him run like hell.

I guess, from my view, mastering native language, written and spoken, is the most important part. If you can't express yourself, you're ****ed by default. Science in general is of little benefit to the Joe average, and those who are interested can carry out with it later on. A level of societal sciences including some philosophy to sort people out with some basic level of "understanding" is very good indeed, and I wouldn't undermine foreign languages either (even if optional). Cooking, sports, and such are things that really should be taught at home - the basics of life, really. I've never been very keen on sports at school, or food tech, but I can cook food myself, and I'm fit irregardless.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote