View Single Post
Unread 12 Jun 2007, 08:34   #19
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: The faulty electoral syste -rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I generally don't vote yet I'm very interested in democracy and politics more generally. Most people I've met who don't vote say they don't really see the point. And as we've discussed in this thread, there are a range of arguments supporting this viewpoint so it's hardly unreasonable.
Correct. Yet, increasing the transparency of the political system isn't going to help with the likes of you any more than it's going to help with the uninterested - there is the group of uninterested (at least in Finland, according to surveys - again, I haven't followed the UK scheme so it is possible that every UK citizen that fills the requirements for voting is very interested in politics), as there is the group of people for whom fine cuisine is pretty inrelevant.

I personally always vote when there's an election, but I've only once voted for a person, I usually leave a blank. Voting does seem, pretty much, vain nowadays, given that, it's funny the system still survives. Given if we agree that the median voter model is in modern democracy an illusion, and we can probably also agree that the whole democratic voting process that elects people in to the government is more or less an illusion (although given, strong right wing governments do seem to correlate with faster socio-economic polarization in the society, for what it's worth), what are the reasons that approve it's excistency?

The illusion of choice brings (some) people comfort?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote