Thread: Jay
View Single Post
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 18:13   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Is there anything you disagree with Dante about, seriously.
FF7, the death penalty and the potential attractiveness of non-European women. That's it I think.
Quote:
Clerks was arty but not my bag.
I'm not sure it's that arty. Sure, it's in black & white because of financial limitations and because of that it looks quite different from most other modern films (in fact, because it's B&W it looks significantly better than most of Smith's other works). But I don't really see how it's arty. The dialogue certainly doesn't lean towards pretentious, and it's not like there are any particular artistic effects or devices or whatever.

For me the appeal is that it's a film about a reasonably regular guy in a regularish situation (albeit where some fairly bizarre things happen*). It reminds me of the Simpsons before that became a parody of itself with trips to Japan or capturing the Loch Ness monster. In fact, as I've said on other threads, the decline of the Simpsons reminds me quite a bit of what's happened with Smith. Away from semi-realistic storylines and towards crudeness, absurdity and general stupidity.

* = In fact, the worst bit of Clerks is probably the bit at the end with the dead guy and Dante's girlfriend as aside from being obvious, it seemed out of kilt with the rest of the movie.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote