Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A warn to emule/edonkey users (RIAA 4fun) (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=188359)

Intruder 14 Nov 2005 18:23

A warn to emule/edonkey users (RIAA 4fun)

Well, some of you might be users of emule/edonkey network to share your files( i officially support sharing only legal ones, heh ), and i just found out something who might be useful info for unaware users. I noticed some new Razorback servers ( one of the most popular servers of edonkey network ) and thought they were just to cover crescent demand, and what is my susprise to find out they belong some RIAA scheme to invade our privacy and see what we are sharing. I took some measures right after i read this article:

- Deleted the fake razorback servers and other said to be fake
- Unabled the options to update servers automatically on emule options
- Putted only trustable servers on my Static list and enabled the option on emule options to connect only on servers on my static list

More details on http://www.p2pcore.com/stories/238.php

I hope this thread is not going against any rules, since edonkey can be used to share legal files too

JonnyBGood 14 Nov 2005 18:36

Re: A warn to emule/edonkey users (RIAA 4fun)

I can't connect to that website so I don't really know if it's an acceptable link or not.

Edit: The RIAA have hacked them :(((((

Intruder 14 Nov 2005 18:38

Seems that the news page is down, ill add here some RIAA servers instead removing the url cos it was up momments ago and might come back with all info needed:

RIAA Servers verified ( do not use them ):

Razorback2.2
Razorback2.3
Razorback2.4
Sonny Boy 1

Trustable Servers ( add to static list )

Razorback2.0 : IP: 195.245.244.243 port: 4661
Razorback2.1 : IP: 195.245.244.244 port: 3000

there is more, but i had to turn off my emule to post this addition cos page was loading to slow, ill add more later if news page dont comes back

[Edit]

Found some alternative links talking about the subject:

This one
this one
this One

The servers not listed on http://www.gruk.org/list.php are problably fake

Androme 14 Nov 2005 18:44

Is Limewire affected?

Phil^ 14 Nov 2005 18:46

doesnt limewire use the gnutella network?
if so i shouldnt think so

Madina 14 Nov 2005 18:59

BitTorrent and Newsgroups are the best. Especially newsgroups.

Dante Hicks 14 Nov 2005 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madina

Yeah.

Although I wonder how long the binary groups on Usenet can go on as they are. Surely someone from the RIAA realises that you can get a full album in about three minutes on consumer-level connection via the alt.binaries.* groups? For now it's an awesome source for "warez" but I don't predict it lasting more than a couple of years more, if that. I think there was some sort of court ruling defending them before but I doubt that'll matter in time.

Androme 14 Nov 2005 19:41

Quote:

Can anyone get me started on some good "newsgroups" ?

Does anyone here recommend the UseNext software? It supposedly contains 30TB or something of data from all the newsgroup binaries from some date more than several years ago.

If not, DirectConnect?

JonnyBGood 14 Nov 2005 19:46

Just incidentally, no direct links to file-sharing websites guys!

Dante Hicks 14 Nov 2005 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androme2
Can anyone get me started on some good "newsgroups" ?

http://www.newsbin.com/ is a good binary downloader for Usenet.

If you google for "Usenet Binaries Index" you'll find a couple of sites which show what's in various groups. But depending on how good your ISP's news servers is, you may not be able to get much. Depending on how serious you are it might be worth getting a dedicated news account with Giganews or something.

Androme 14 Nov 2005 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
yo whadup is a good binary downloader for Usenet.

If you google for "Usenet Binaries Index" you'll find a couple of sites which show what's in various groups. But depending on how good your ISP's news servers is, you may not be able to get much. Depending on how serious you are it might be worth getting a dedicated news account with Giganews or something.

Danke schon :)

Kurashima 14 Nov 2005 23:50

Quote:

http://www.newsbin.com/ is a good binary downloader for Usenet.

im with Manxnet. Did you know they done have a news server of any description?

*sob*

PS : Anyone with any idea how to get round this, id greatly appreciate the help.

Vaio 15 Nov 2005 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurashima
im with Manxnet. Did you know they done have a news server of any description?

*sob*

PS : Anyone with any idea how to get round this, id greatly appreciate the help.

www.giganews.com

Kurashima 15 Nov 2005 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaio
www.giganews.com

Nice , but 2gb capped limit per month , and im a tad skint just now having shelled out 2 grand on a new suite for the main room and a grand on a new dining table and chairs.

:(

Madina 15 Nov 2005 00:10

Quote:

Yeah.

Although I wonder how long the binary groups on Usenet can go on as they are. Surely someone from the RIAA realises that you can get a full album in about three minutes on consumer-level connection via the alt.binaries.* groups? For now it's an awesome source for "warez" but I don't predict it lasting more than a couple of years more, if that. I think there was some sort of court ruling defending them before but I doubt that'll matter in time.

I was under the impression that newsgroups are a good source for "warez" as firms like the RIAA cannot find your IP (easily?). Also that you cant get in trouble as your not sharing anything.

Dante Hicks 15 Nov 2005 00:28

Quote:

I was under the impression that newsgroups are a good source for "warez" as firms like the RIAA cannot find your IP (easily?). Also that you cant get in trouble as your not sharing anything.

Yes. But the point is that the files are hosted by your ISP*. One court judgement against them and the binary groups will be gone from 90% of ISPs within a day. Bittorrent and other P2P solutions are a lot more decentralised and a lot less vulnerable to such legal changes.

The point is that they're an excellent source now, but I can't see them lasting. At the moment Usenet has about 1.4 terabytes of unique binary content per day. I can't see that escaping the notice of the **AA forever.

* = This also raises the issue that the ISPs / news servers must have records of who has downloaded what, although I'm not sure what level of privacy that enjoys legally.