Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reading On The Move (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196616)

All Systems Go 12 Jun 2008 13:36

Reading On The Move

I have a job.* As such, I have to commute. This in itself is not too bad. I can do a little reading. Sometimes however, I get rather distracted by people who insist on talking to each other, rather than staying perfectly silent in order that I may read. Don't even get me started on people who use personal music devices, even with headphones. How annyoing!**

Now, the problem will soon arise when I want to read something that is rather dense. At the moment I'm doing ok, but that's because my choice of reading is relatively light.

Any tips on better tube reading?

*does a little dance
**except when I'm doing it ofc

Alessio 12 Jun 2008 14:05

Re: Reading On The Move

You could take some Ritalin.

Mzyxptlk 12 Jun 2008 14:18

Ear muffs.

Alternatively, pierce your eardrums.

Dead_Meat 12 Jun 2008 15:20

Get some noise cancelling headphones of your own.

Ultimate Newbie 12 Jun 2008 15:21

I suppose you could stand infront of a tube train, and if you survive then you would have quite a few months of a solid hospital stay in order to catch up on as much reading as you desire! Dense or not! :)

Plus, for many hours of the day, the hospital would be relatively quiet.

All Systems Go 12 Jun 2008 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I suppose you could stand infront of a tube train, and if you survive then you would have quite a few months of a solid hospital stay in order to catch up on as much reading as you desire! Dense or not! :)

Plus, for many hours of the day, the hospital would be relatively quiet.

And run the risk of ending up in a bad British flm about death on the underground?

No thanks!

[DW]Entropy 12 Jun 2008 16:52

1) Slap them till they stop making noise
2) throw their method of distraction out of the window (if its them then use the door)
3) Grin and bear it

Once i start reading on a train i get quite involved and sometimes even miss my stop, but i know how you feel since my fiancee is like that too and anything that requires thinking about becomes impossible by the incessant whining and music blaring from others.

I'd suggest getting ear plugs from ure nearest tesco or something. Youll find them in the travel aisle next to travel locks etc. Use those and you'll be fine.

Yahwe 12 Jun 2008 19:08

talking on the tube simply isn't done.

Tomkat 12 Jun 2008 20:40

I find it near impossible to stay awake on most public transport, so I don't identify with your dilemma at all.

If you're commuting in rush hour, don't expect to be ploughing your way through dense literature at any great speed.

Tomkat 13 Jun 2008 12:23

Do you read a book and listen to the audio version of that book at the same time? That'd be pretty fruity.

Marilyn Manson 24 Jun 2008 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I find it near impossible to stay awake on most public transport,

I know.