Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dune (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194736)

midge5 18 Jun 2007 15:02

Dune

I just read the first book and really enjoyed it, bit annoyed that I left it on my shelf for so long before actually bothering to read it.

I went to order the next couple in the series from Amazon this morning and noticed that these generally seemed to have mixed reviews and generally the overall rating seems to have been decently reliable. So, would people here recommend me reading the rest of the series or am I better off just moving on to something else?

Tomkat 18 Jun 2007 15:06

Re: Dune

I wasn't that keen on the rest of the series myself.

You really have nothing to lose by getting the others though (except a few quid spent on them), so you might as well go for it. Alternatively, take them out of a library?

SilverSmoke 18 Jun 2007 15:13

I got really bored in the middle of the third book. To me, it felt like going trough an episode of a pretentious science fiction version of The Bold and the Beautiful somehow.. The first book is great though but you already knew that.

Achilles 18 Jun 2007 17:28

I, unfortunately, have to agree with TK/SS. The subsequent books are mediocre at best, certainly not as good as the original.

ChubbyChecker 18 Jun 2007 17:39

I thought the first book was very good (of course).

I read the second book and thought it was pretty rubbish. From what I hear each book gets progressively worse so I didn`t bother reading any of the others.

MrL_JaKiri 18 Jun 2007 18:22

The rest of the Dune books aren't really the same kind of thing. The universe portrayed in Dune is very different to the one that is introduced in Dune Messiah - all the events of Dune are assumed to have taken place, but their significance and exactly how much sense they make is fairly different - indeed, in some readings (mine, for example) the first few books in some ways invalidate all the books that came before them in the series.

Give them a try anyway, whilst the reviews are a mixed bag you might enjoy them. God Emp o' Dune is generally regarded as the best of the following books, but you really do need Messiah and Children to understand it.

Smudge 18 Jun 2007 22:18

I found all the books fantastic, but the first book is the shining example of how a Sci Fi book should be written. The prelude books are also worth a good read to explain things!

Marv 18 Jun 2007 22:29

Agreed with Smudgey, they are all a great read and really intresting while enjoyable at the same time.

MrL_JaKiri 19 Jun 2007 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
I found all the books fantastic, but the first book is the shining example of how a Sci Fi book should be written. The prelude books are also worth a good read to explain things!

Don't read any Dune books not written by Frank Herbert. The rest are truly abysmal.

midge5 19 Jun 2007 11:20

Cheers for the help, decided to order Messiah and Children.

Knight Theamion 19 Jun 2007 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge

I fully endorse this.

dda-II 19 Jun 2007 23:50

I enjoyed the three original books despite my general dislike of drugs and religion.