Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MacIntyres Toughest Towns (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=188176)

Rinoa 3 Nov 2005 22:35

MacIntyres Toughest Towns

I have really been enjoying this insight into life in our favourite towns around the country and feel priviliged to live in the Muder capital of Europe ( Glasgow).
Just to back up his facts, i am a normal person leading a normal quiet life in glasgow and have so far seen :

1) someone getting stabbed
2) someone getting stabbed in the ass as they ran away from a fight
3) a man knocking another man to the ground, the stopping to carefully remove his timberland boots, only to beat him on head with the boot in his hand ( yes why not just kick?)
4) a ned walking down the street carrying a crossbow
5) a nedette ( female ned) punching a middle aged woman on bus because she thought she was " staring at her"
6) A man bottling a member of staff at place i worked, and the member of staff losing 7 teeth
7) a large fight of around 18 neds where almost every one was holding a screwdriver

So if anyone thinks their town can better this please provide some evidence or glasgow will remain on top :D

dda 3 Nov 2005 22:47

Re: MacIntyres Toughest Towns

I assume this is an amature competition and that my professional status will disqualify me from competition though Stockton-on-San-Joaquin is #1 in murder rate in California.

Yahwe 3 Nov 2005 22:48

i once saw a poor person in Chelsea.

dda 3 Nov 2005 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
i once saw a poor person in Chelsea.

By this do you mean some down-on-his-luck barronette who has been reduced to only a couple of horses and one pack of hounds?

Surely you didn't see an actual poor person! That would have undoubtedly have harmed your psyche and would have required much gin to abate the image.

Weeks 3 Nov 2005 23:06

When I lived in London I saw around 5 chaps walking down the street with broken glass bottles about to go in a pub. I decided to go into a different pub.

Ste 3 Nov 2005 23:07

Nottingham.

Do I need to say more?

EDIT oh and Croydon... they rioted after England lost to France and looted the main street, tipped over a tram and forced the police to ban pubs from showing football for a year.

midge5 3 Nov 2005 23:10

From the deapest slums of Britain, also known as the Welsh valleys (Rhondda Fach, Merthyr, Cynon Valley and Taff Ely) as well as Cardiff.

All of these places combined, in nearly 20 years I have seen:

4 scuffles in pubs/clubs which were broken up quickly
a girl getting thrown out for abusing her ex boyfriend
then heard of 7 people jumping my brother and his few friends

Maybe they aren't so bad afterall.

Yahwe 3 Nov 2005 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
By this do you mean some down-on-his-luck barronette who has been reduced to only a couple of horses and one pack of hounds?

Surely you didn't see an actual poor person! That would have undoubtedly have harmed your psyche and would have required much gin to abate the image.

I was drinking fizz at the time, there he was plain as day. absolutely no shame at all.

needless to say we had him arrested.

Weeks 3 Nov 2005 23:25

wait i remember someone getting shot.
that was like my first day in london as well.
oh and there was that guy who got glassed in the street who continued walking down the street pretty nonchalant about it all.

Proteus 3 Nov 2005 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda

"Baronet".

I dread to think what a "bar(r)onette" is.

Dante Hicks 3 Nov 2005 23:40

I've seen various random violent incidents while living London, although I've not kept any kind of list. Nothing more severe than the odd beating (albeit people being beaten into a bloody mess). It's almost always alcohol fuelled nonsense though (oh how I giggle that E and weed are illegal when seeing someone's head being bashed into the ground outside a pub</henry>).

I've been near the scene of various shootings, etc - but usually hours afterwards - fortunately never witnessing it.

I think London is very safe overall, but I don't think it's particularly meaningful to talk about "toughest towns" - especially in large cities. Is someone who lives in Esher near Kingston-Upon-Thames living in the same urban space as someone in Hackney, Peckham, etc? Even on a single "bad" estate it's usually only 3-4 families on it are actually violent (if that).

And anyway, apparently the "worse" places to live these days are outside urban centres. Because police forces in the large conurbations can focus resources a lot better than in smaller towns. And if you're going to go do "crime", do you want to try and rob somewhere where even the off-licences and chicken shops have bullet proof glass, or do you want to go to some piss ant town where the bank security is an old bloke called Cyril?

dda 3 Nov 2005 23:43

I should have gone with duke. I can spell that.

roadrunner_0 3 Nov 2005 23:48

i watched that program on glasgow last night, seriously, how many ****ing knife woulds can they see in one night?

still, nottingham i would say is worse though, one of my mates is sitting in his house down there one day, and heard a number of loud bangs, turns out it was some 16 year old kid being 'executed' gangland stylee for dealing on the wrong patch. - now bear in mind this is the middle of the day - yet somehow no one saw anything.

Proteus 4 Nov 2005 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
I should have gone with duke. I can spell that.

You probably can't pronounce it, though. :(

Anyway, I'm afraid the US and South Africa have stolen all our down-on-their-luck dukes.

Nusselt 4 Nov 2005 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
I assume this is an amature competition and that my professional status will disqualify me from competition though Stockton-on-San-Joaquin is #1 in murder rate in California.

Is San Joaquin a river or some place of interest? Is there another stockton about the vicinity?

pig 4 Nov 2005 04:16

Birmingham we have guns and riots.

the last shooting i heard was in a car park, basically we always park at the top behind the nightclub, we were getting in the car circa 3am and then bang bang bang, shouting and then a car screeching away. We then heard sirens so tried to drive off but we couldnt as the police were collecting evidence. Thing is it didnt even bother us at all, it was like oh well another day in the city. Generally you hear a couple of gun shots a night if you are in certain parts.

Dace 4 Nov 2005 04:21

This one time after i left a club pissed i got some chips and was eating them when two guys got into a fight with another guy.

Being ****ed i obviously did the only sensible thing i could ...

I found a nearby bench and sat down on it and watched as the two guys punched/overpowered the other guy to the ground and then "penalty kicked" his face.

Eventually a policeman came and when he tried to rouse the unconcious guy the unconcious guy started swinging wildly at him having not a ****ing clue who the copper was or where he was or owt.

Ahhhhhh the memories.

Dace 4 Nov 2005 04:23

Also i'm pretty sure Dumbarton Road (right near to where i live) was closed off within the past year due to some guy being holed up with hostages and a shotgun.

BTW these stories are from the West End/Centre of Glasgow.

You go near any scummy areas and the stories get worse (apparantly due to drug wars one "opposing gang member" was caught by another gang and had his nuts cracked in a nut cracker ... the guy ruined his vocal cords screaming).

Rids 4 Nov 2005 08:45

Living in London for the past 22 years, its rough, but I doubt I can beat glasgow.

Been the victim of a stabbing, obviously.
Been the victim of a 12 on 1 kicking.
Been the victim of an attempted (and failed) mugging.
Seen countless fights/bottlings outside my local.
Seen lots of todays youths involved in violence in and around my area, muggings, picking on fat kids, etc.
Seen several mates involved in a trouble, and sometimes take a kicking.

I dont think we come close to the rough parts of Glasgow though.

Ste 4 Nov 2005 09:31

My workmate from Peckham just told me that there is a whole road cordoned off there today because there was a gang fight there with at least one person killed and many more stabbed.
Lots of blood everywhere...
And that's quite normal there as well.

Tomkat 4 Nov 2005 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
basically we always park at the top behind the nightclub

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
basically

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
basically

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
basically

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
basically

:mad:

Vaio 4 Nov 2005 09:52

Carlisle has the traditional 'Black Eye Friday' which is the last pay day before christmas.

If you are ''Hard as nails', mentally deranged, really want a damn good kicking from someone then its the perfect evening.

I have only ventured out once that night and remember some girl being punched out by her boyfriend then said boyfriend had the crap beat out of him by a group of passersby (chivalry isn't dead !).

Later that evening a group of young gentlemen from the local football thug crew appeared in the pub I was relaxing in and attacked everyone in there. I ended up being thrown in the back of a policevan for remonstrating with the police when they did nothing to the people that started it. I was a little concussed after being hit over the head with a table. As I don't have a local accent the police decided I was a tourist and let me go after an hour or so.

My brother was in the same pub the evening the football crew decided to have a glass fight and also he was lucky enough to be in a different pub the evening the local biker gang beat the living shit out of the football crew.

After that they started behaving themselves.

In recent times there have been quite a few drunken assaults. One last Wednesday night has resulted in some 20 year old in Newcastle hospital with serious injuries.

I can't help but think that with longer drinking hours, these events will be a lot more frequent.

lokken 4 Nov 2005 11:25

provincial england, how we love thee :up:

Marilyn Manson 4 Nov 2005 13:22

I would never dare venture into Stockton High Street on a Friday night. It's barely ****ing tolerable during the day.

Nodrog 4 Nov 2005 14:13

Glasgow is the biggest shithole in the UK by quite some margin, theres no chance anyone else is going to come up with anything beating it.

Zero 4 Nov 2005 14:14

I live in leeds and quite recently my best friends next door neighbour was arrested for being a big part of the london bombings, also we had a bouncer last year who shot 2 policemen, killing one of them, who worked at one of my favoroute clubs. We also have the usual beatings but there are too many to mention.

All Systems Go 4 Nov 2005 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
Birmingham we have guns and riots.

the last shooting i heard was in a car park, basically we always park at the top behind the nightclub, we were getting in the car circa 3am and then bang bang bang, shouting and then a car screeching away. We then heard sirens so tried to drive off but we couldnt as the police were collecting evidence. Thing is it didnt even bother us at all, it was like oh well another day in the city. Generally you hear a couple of gun shots a night if you are in certain parts.

One of my housemates is going to Birmingham tomorrow for her friends 21st birthday. She scares easily so needless to say that the riots on tv last week made her more than a little nervous about going there.

Dante Hicks 4 Nov 2005 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
One of my housemates is going to Birmingham tomorrow for her friends 21st birthday. She scares easily so needless to say that the riots on tv last week made her more than a little nervous about going there.

It's OK, I'm sure the recent reports of the Muslim graves being desecrated near Handsworth* has probably made everyone that little bit more chilled out. :cool:

* = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4406760.stm

pig 4 Nov 2005 16:16

heres the weird thing about Handsworth (the area i come from) it was built on an old mass graveyard, I swear the place is haunted. Then when you drive through sandwell valley linking handsworth and sandwell, you see some weird things at night. Sandwell valley is where that grave is. Oh ye people go there to execute people in the graveyard and stuff. Its so spooky.

Snurx 4 Nov 2005 17:14

Your problem is not that the towns are too "tough" or that there are too many hardasses. Hardasses dont report crime, so for example bikers vs casuals wont get reported if they dont get nicked. And most hardasses, at least the ones I know, dont beat up random people.

Your problem (The uk, that is) is the neds/chavs/whatever. They beat up "normal" people, or people who arent used to walking funny or loosing a few teeth here and there, and have no trouble in smashing in a few faces, even at difficult odds. Your problem is, put simple, cowardice of the "thugs".

You can get your face beaten in everywhere. You can get killed in Oslo, glassed, bottled, knifed, shot, beaten, mugged and so on. I know, I've been the victim of many of these things (I've never been killed and nobody has sucsessfully mugged me, but I've experienced and/or seen the rest) But there has to be a little motive, or in 99% of the cases there have to be. (Maybe not mugging, but the rest) The times I've been beaten up, I've in one way or antoher laid it up myself (Ie a pint or two of vodka and a gang of racists when youre alone = not a good idea). Not just "hey chaps, im bored, lets smash some faces"

I dont know why, if its true or what can be done about it. Its just quite "interesting", in a sad way.

Marilyn Manson 4 Nov 2005 17:15

Is there actually any crime in Norway?

Snurx 4 Nov 2005 17:21

It happens, but only on the first Tuesday of every month!

furball 4 Nov 2005 17:50

Quote:

Dad, 51, stabbed in rush hour - Sep 16 2005

A middle-aged man was stabbed near a busy road at the height of rush hour last night.

Shocked shop workers in City Road, Cardiff, described how they saw the 51-year-old lying on the pavement outside City Balti restaurant, covered with blood, after being stabbed in the leg.

He also suffered a fractured skull, a broken jaw in addition to the puncture wound in his leg.

Witnesses, including the victim's son, heard the man, from the Cardiff area, call a friend on his mobile to say: 'I've been hurt.'

Police believe the disturbance began at a house in Keppoch Street, Roath, just after 5.10pm yesterday. It spilled out onto the pavement before continuing into City Road.

The area outside the restaurant, and neighbouring store Pirmahal Fashion, was sealed off by police.

Dale Jones, 23, a kitchen worker at Papa John's takeaway, said: 'I walked past and saw a guy on the floor, covered in blood, telling someone he had been hurt.

'He had quite a lot of blood over his body but was conscious.'

A worker at City Balti said: 'He was outside, and I saw everything. It looked really bad.'

One officer stood guard outside a property in Keppoch Street, sealed with police tape. Glass in the front door and a downstairs window had been smashed.

Two men were arrested last night and remain in police custody today. A hammer and a metal crutch were recovered from the scene.

A 63-year-old woman who lives on the street said: 'It's shocking. I've never seen so many police cars in all my life.

'But I think something like this was waiting to happen down here.'

Inspector Ian Huntley of South Wales Police said: 'A man was stabbed in the leg and taken to hospital. 'His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.'
5 minutes away from my house. My two best friends were in the shop next door when it happened. Cardiff, how I love thee!

(Ian Huntley).

Yahwe 4 Nov 2005 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snurx
You can get your face beaten in everywhere. You can get killed in Oslo, glassed, bottled, knifed, shot, beaten, mugged and so on. I know, I've been the victim of many of these things (I've never been killed and nobody has sucsessfully mugged me, but I've experienced and/or seen the rest) But there has to be a little motive, or in 99% of the cases there have to be.

You underestimate the level of exageration actually occurring in this thread.

roadrunner_0 4 Nov 2005 18:59

never really been that near any serious violence to be honest, which i am rather glad about

JonnyBGood 4 Nov 2005 19:11

Usually I go to fairly decent places so I don't see that much violence (that said rich people commit crimes too. I was in bells just a couple of nights before this happened, those guys went to the school I did as well). I've seen a fair few fights, I just walk on by them though, I've been mugged myself and I once saw someone get stabbed. I think that's it.

Yahwe 4 Nov 2005 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
"Dermot Laide was jailed for four years for manslaughter, Sean Mackey for two years for violent disorder and Desmond Ryan to nine months for violent disorder. He was allowed out on bail to finish his university exams."
wow 9 months for beating someone too death ?

"Judge White said he had taken into account that Ryan, 23, from Dalkey, Co Dublin, had offered immediate assistance to Mr Murphy after the incident but that he too had delivered punches amounting to an unprovoked, serious assault."

Mr Murphy was the person beaten to death. However Mr Murphy started the incident with a provoked assault which Mr Ryan assisted him in.

so Mr Ryan did not beat anyone to death.

If Mr Murphy had lived then he would have been charged as well.

do i have to teach you people how to read now?

Weeks 4 Nov 2005 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
You underestimate the level of exageration actually occurring in this thread.

I'm sensing a severe lack of exageration. :confused:

My mate lives in Nottingham and he says it's really quite rough. The last time I visited I got entertained by a daylight pub brawl. I like the city itself, but it has lost a certain je ne sais pas now the man with the xylophone has sadly passed away. :up: for cities with trams though, espeically when they knock down drunkards (apparently this happened within 14 hours in Nottingham's case).

Dead_Meat 4 Nov 2005 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus
"Baronet".

I dread to think what a "bar(r)onette" is.

The Barron Knights?

Deepflow 4 Nov 2005 19:57

look, for ****s sake.

nowhere is actually dangerous unless you are:

a) hanging around (or in the vicinity of) a lot of drunk obnoxious people

b) going into areas you you probably shouldnt

c) an idiot who doesn't know when to walk away.

granted, I've been guilty of all of these (apart from c); but they are fairly avoidable. I have been all over the country and seen very little difference between the major city centres as far as "violence" goes. As long as you only count violence that could actually involve you (not gangs etc).

of course, i haven't been to glasgow :)

dda 4 Nov 2005 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nusselt
Is San Joaquin a river or some place of interest? Is there another stockton about the vicinity?

I always put Stockton-on-San-Joaquin so that people aren't confused with Stockton-on-Tees. Stockton is just Stockton in California although there are something like 13 other Stocktons in other states. San Joqquin is the name of the county in which I am located and the name of the river on which Stockton perches.

Nadar 4 Nov 2005 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Is there actually any crime in Norway?

Yes. An 11 year old once threw a snowball at me :eek:

But, on a serious note, compared to other countries I don't really think we can say we got much crime in Norway (except all the people who go to Sweden and tries smuggling meat) ;)

dda 4 Nov 2005 20:36

I have decided to relay two experiences.

A few years ago I was an ear-witness to a homicide. I was sitting in my chair watching television and talking with my wife and her brother when I heard a gunshot followed closely by six more gunshots from a different sounding gun.

The next day I contacted a detective from the police department and found that there had been a shooting the night before and that the person arrested was claiming to have only returned fire after being fired upon. I related what I had heard and that information was instrumental in the release of the person claiming self-defense.

The second, and most vivid experience of my career, was being called to come to a crime scene to advise the police on a quadruple homicide. A man had gotten angry at his ex-girlfriend for dumping him and went to her mother's house intending to way lay the ex and kill her. However, she was running late so he went into her mother's house. Mom was doing day care for ex and another daughter. There were four children present. Three children and mom were found dead with gunshot wounds and with their throats slit from ear to ear.

The children had tried to flee in the back yard and had been shot and then sliced. Two of the children, aged 5 and 7 as I remember were in a corner of the yard where they had been trapped and killed. I can still remember their little faces and the gash to their throat. It was warm weather and the flies were already starting to swarm.

The murderer eluded the police for about a week and then committed suicide on his dead wifes grave. I viewed that as well but with much less disapproval.

During my life, I have known or talked to at least seven people, that I can remember off hand, who were later the victims of a homicide.

Nadar 4 Nov 2005 20:44

dda, what kind of work do you have?

dda 4 Nov 2005 20:48

Homicide prosecutor.

Nadar 4 Nov 2005 20:51

You probably see more in real life than I wanna see in movies then.

dda 4 Nov 2005 21:02

They bring me pictures.

JonnyBGood 4 Nov 2005 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
"Dermot Laide was jailed for four years for manslaughter, Sean Mackey for two years for violent disorder and Desmond Ryan to nine months for violent disorder. He was allowed out on bail to finish his university exams."
wow 9 months for beating someone too death ?

If you note he didn't actually beat anyone to death. As a general aside murphy was sheer scum, I'd seen the guy before and his idea of fun was starting fights after the clubs closed. Laide was a bit of a nutter too.

Boogster 4 Nov 2005 22:24

I've not really witnessed anything exciting/horrendous. My brother's got his head kicked in by 6 men before, and that's about it. I'm at Bham Uni and I haven't seen anything shocking here.

IncubusGod 5 Nov 2005 20:21

It's an odd thing when the capital city of your country is in no way the most violent place in your country.
Having spent a lot of time in Dublin, I'd say it's not a bad place overall.

Here, well Limerick has a reputation, always has done. A good deal is justified in my opinon.
Personally I've been mugged once and jumped once, both occasions by a gang of more than 6 scumbags. Been beaten severly on both occasions, lost four teeth on one, for no other reason than I was walking past them on the other side of the road.
My friend who was with me at the time was stabbed with a screwdriver and had his head split open.
Everyone I know has been punched, jumped or mugged at random at some stage.

There were 8 gangland murders in the space of 3 months here recently. Over the past few years the body count in that particular fued runs to nearly 30+.
Constant petrol bombings of houses related to each faction occurs most weekends.

There are constant stabbings around here. Last night as I walked through town I stepped into a massive pool of blood. The police were just coming to the scene where some guy had been stabbed in the middle of the main street, infront of crowds of people waiting for a taxi.

To be honest though, I think this is generally normal enough for any major city these days. Cities with chavs,scum,neds etc.

Though nothing will ever match Glasgow.
Ever.

Only possibly the americans, but thats usually shootings. As opposed to open warfare with various pieces of cutlery.