Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Women's American ballthing (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195095)

Tietäjä 7 Aug 2007 07:40

Women's American ballthing

You know.

There was an interview of two late-teen girls who're playing the American sortofballsport. It's like the original one, except with no tackling or physical contact, and you stop people by stealing a flag off their waist. They don't wear kevlar vests, combat armors, or composite helmets. But they claim it's a very rough sport. The other one, moved on to women's American ballthing from cheerleading, says she's had her head bleeding more than once this summer because it's rough action and they don't wear helmets.

By the way, any of you been watching women's football lately? It's a little like men's football, except in slow motion. Sort of funny. They were, the other day, also arguing on the papers, why women's football doesn't attract the attention and money men's football does. They claim it's the lack of equality, and that women are equally good if not better players anyways. By the way, a few seasons ago, a Canadian ice hockey player, some top notch female player, moved to Finland, and became a mediocre player in the second hockey division.

I need to stop reading freebie papers on my way to work.

Nodrog 7 Aug 2007 08:24

Re: Women's American ballthing

The winner of the women's internet posting competition would have made a far better thread than this one.

Tietäjä 7 Aug 2007 09:03

I should probably sign up for the astarte school. Don't worry, this will all end once the work's done with.

furball 7 Aug 2007 11:09

Sounds like a variant of touch rugby.

Structural Integrity 7 Aug 2007 11:49

Touch rugby?
Dude, that sounds gay.

Tietäjä 7 Aug 2007 12:05

Isn't there a game called flag ball or something where you do stuff with a flag and a ball and something?

All Systems Go 7 Aug 2007 16:50

Netball?

furball 7 Aug 2007 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Netball?

Did you actually read the original post or just the thread title?

Structural Integrity 7 Aug 2007 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Isn't there a game called flag ball or something where you do stuff with a flag and a ball and something?

fagball... if you can dodge a fag, you can dodge a ball.

All Systems Go 7 Aug 2007 17:00

It's a 'sports' thread that isn't about football. What's more, it's a womans 'sports' thread so only skimmed read it, meaning I missed

Quote:

by stealing a flag off their waist
Apart from that it fits.

furball 7 Aug 2007 17:02

Quote:

It's a 'sports' thread that isn't about football. What's more, it's a womans 'sports' thread so only skimmed read it, meaning I missed

Quote:

by stealing a flag off their waist

Apart from that it fits.

Quote:

But they claim it's a very rough sport. The other one, moved on to women's American ballthing from cheerleading, says she's had her head bleeding more than once this summer because it's rough action and they don't wear helmets.

All Systems Go 7 Aug 2007 17:13

Quote:

It's like the original one, except with no tackling or physical contact,

A ball in the nose will make it bleed. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time a female sport was hyped up a little to make it seem less shit.

Allfather 7 Aug 2007 17:32

Hehe, its true that about woman playing like things were in slow motion.
Its like watching children play, sometimes i wonder if god broke the earths play button :(

Appocomaster 7 Aug 2007 17:46

I don't know... the few times I've seen womans rugby/ football / hockey they seem to not be too bad. If you told my housemate from York that girls football was all slow and boring, she'd probably attack you with a hockey stick (she was captain of one of the womens football teams at York).

However, I can't see how this touch rugby-type game is that violent. Kudos to the women for having more guts than the men though.

All Systems Go 7 Aug 2007 17:53

There's still a lot of sexism in sport and there wasn't really any infrastructure compared to mens sport. So given that there's not the reasources available for women it's obvious that the level is generally going to be below men.

Allfather 7 Aug 2007 17:55

I doubt that has anything to do with the speed woman play football (or soccer for you americanas), its good fun to watch, cause it takes them like 1/10th of the 45 min rounds to get from one side of the field to the other :D

roadrunner_0 7 Aug 2007 22:46

have you ever played hockey against women? they are much more vicious than men

Tietäjä 8 Aug 2007 08:51

Quote:

So given that there's not the reasources available for women it's obvious that the level is generally going to be below men.

One wouldn't think though, that the reduction of tackling from their version of American ball, for example, has to do with not having the resources available to tackle in the game (the same logic applies to women's hockey, by the way).

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner

But they don't tackle either! I mean, what's the point of physical contact sport if you remove the tackling and bashing.

HRH_H_Crab 8 Aug 2007 08:55

Quote:

But they don't tackle either!
Why bother tackling someone when you can break a knee with a whacking great piece of wood, or propel a solid wooden ball at their fleshy unprotected groin at high velocity?

Appocomaster 8 Aug 2007 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab
Why bother tackling someone when you can break a knee with a whacking great piece of wood, or propel a solid wooden ball at their fleshy unprotected groin at high velocity?

Perhaps he meant that they can't tackle, hence the reason they're always whacking each other in the legs with their sticks and why it's more violent?

Allfather 8 Aug 2007 09:34

I think the sticks symbolizes their lack of getting the cock on regular intervals.

Tietäjä 8 Aug 2007 09:37

I thought all team sports women are lesbians.

Allfather 8 Aug 2007 10:08

I rest my case.

Appocomaster 8 Aug 2007 19:23

not all, but certainly a fair percentage

I think it depends upon the sport to some extent

Aryn 15 Aug 2007 02:28

oi i play hockey* and i'm not a lesbian :\

*co-ed floor hockey

Apothos 15 Aug 2007 02:33

Maybe you're just in denial about it.

Knight Theamion 25 Aug 2007 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0

yes, me and 5 others without a keeper vs. one of the best girls teams of our great nation, they were with 11, although it wasn't totally serious, they didn't even get close to our goal

6 boys age 17/18 vs 11 girls aged 17/18

they sucked.

Dead_Meat 25 Aug 2007 18:59

Theam, do you regularly search the forums for mention of the word 'hockey'?

isildurx 26 Aug 2007 10:02

When a was about 16 my team football team here in Norway(we were one of the best in the country) could probably beat our Norwegian Women Football team easily, and they were the best in the world at that time.

Rikard 26 Aug 2007 13:29

Quote:

There's still a lot of sexism in sport and there wasn't really any infrastructure compared to mens sport. So given that there's not the reasources available for women it's obvious that the level is generally going to be below men.

I dont play football on a regular basis but I have played indoor football a couple of times against girls who have been playing actively for over 10 years. What you do is pass the ball around a bit get them tired and then you can steamroll them in the 2nd half. Girls just dont have the fitness required to compete with guys.

Maladoni 26 Aug 2007 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0

It's much more fun watching before getting moved along.

QazokRouge5 28 Aug 2007 07:58

So... flag football for women?