Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Blatant Attack on the GD Community! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194251)

All Systems Go 10 Apr 2007 13:41

Another Blatant Attack on the GD Community!

This is very bad news.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is happening. Except I can and with every passing day my contempt and utter disgust a John Reid and his pathetic attempts to look like the 'ard man of the Labour Party.

Honestly, it's like a cast of acotrs from a bad soap. I'm just hoping Grant Mitchell will come and kick the shit out of him and him out of time. Or Phil, hell I'd even settle for Ian Beale giving him a kicking.

Nodrog 10 Apr 2007 13:47

Re: Another Blatant Attack on the GD Community!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/170500...lsgrove300.jpg

Rinoa 10 Apr 2007 13:59

Not long to wait till Scotland is running all things in the goverment eh ;)

Achilles 10 Apr 2007 14:27

I think any law that forces me to advocate for the protection of paedophiles (albeit in maintaining the status quo) must have more wrong with it than I have the time to go into right now. I will say, however, that any politician who thinks this is the best way forward needs to take a hard look at whether they have the intelligence required for the job. Marginalisation has never and will never work at solving anything. Probably not even in the short term and certainly not in the long run.

Tomkat 10 Apr 2007 14:51

All those without children (including myself) probably have a different view of the merits of this law, compared to those with children though.

While I currently think it's a stupid idea, when i eventually have children (and am looking at places to live to settle down to raise my family) I may think differently.

Nodrog 10 Apr 2007 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
While I currently think it's a stupid idea, when i eventually have children (and am looking at places to live to settle down to raise my family) I may think differently.

Yeah this is a fair point, since as the Sun said this morning:

Quote:

The experiment in east Somerset won’t eliminate all predatory child sex pests. They are cunning, devious and frequently pose as kind and plausible members of the community.

But Sarah’s Law will at least give parents the chance to find out if a convicted offender is in their midst — before he has the chance to strike.

Demon Dave 10 Apr 2007 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog

Is that Paulsgrove in Portsmouth?

Hebdomad 10 Apr 2007 15:29

At least I know which area this cunning and devious predator stalks. I shall certainly stay away from that area. The Home Office should run a phone-line: Is John Reid in your area?

I mean, when Bernardo's tell you your child-protection policy is shit, you know something's wrong. If I were a parent, however, I'd use this scheme if it were nation-wide. Even though I know that paedophiles also have cars.

They don't even tell the exact address or name - so you're going to get lots of innocent people beaten up and maliciously accused.

I suppose there's an argument that this will deter paedophiles to a greater extent that they are currently, but I doubt it.

All Systems Go 10 Apr 2007 15:57

I can't see this having any impact on sex offender rates at all to be honest. It might make people more wary of moving house though.

Imagine moving into your new house at the same time it is announced a sex offender has moved into the area. You would be so popular.

Ste 10 Apr 2007 16:39

I don't see how this will benefit anyone.

Telling parents there is a sex offender in the area but then not telling them who will just make them paranoid about everyone.

Innocent people will be targetted by idiot vigilante groups.

Sex offenders will simply go underground and if they are going to attack a kid (which of course isn't as likely as the tabloids want you to believe) they'll just drive somewhere else.

I'm also concerned about who people will be informed about. Is it everyone on the sex offenders list or just "proper" paedophiles?
Also, how close do they have to be for people to get informed about them?

What is the point of telling people there is a convicted sex offender within 10 miles of where they live? 10 miles is quite a large distance and I assume there is at least one sex offender in 10 miles radius of most inner city people.
Convicted sex offender could mean an 18 year old who had sex with a 15 year old of course.

All madness.

Hebdomad 10 Apr 2007 16:55

Anyway, what do they mean when they say "they'll go underground"? It is common-place for the average paedophile to walk around informing the shoppers in Marks and Spencers at the moment? Or underground in the sense they'll start digging tunnels and arrive in your daughter's bed-room? Christ! Let's tag our children and the paedophile so if they ever come within two meters of each other John Reid is magically transported to gnaw the paedophile's larynx out! I should dictate policy.

Alessio 10 Apr 2007 17:42

True paedophiles don't get convicted, the ones that do are mere losers.

Achilles 10 Apr 2007 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad
Anyway, what do they mean when they say "they'll go underground"? It is common-place for the average paedophile to walk around informing the shoppers in Marks and Spencers at the moment? Or underground in the sense they'll start digging tunnels and arrive in your daughter's bed-room? Christ! Let's tag our children and the paedophile so if they ever come within two meters of each other John Reid is magically transported to gnaw the paedophile's larynx out! I should dictate policy.

Presumably by underground, they mean off the grid. At the moment many paedophiles are monitored by police on a routine basis. If these were to all start migrating and assuming aliases (because of the threat of exposure and a good lynching) this would become much more difficult if not practically impossible.

Structural Integrity 10 Apr 2007 19:19

I'm glad all this nonsense happens on the other side of the water and is not affecting me.

Hebdomad 10 Apr 2007 19:59

When they go "underground", this will be a perfect excuse to introduce ID cards!

Mistwraith 11 Apr 2007 10:37

Anyone remember a few years back when *the sun* outed a whole load of paedophiles who had dropped off the police radar by publishing their photographs (about 50 i think) .

I seem to remember some poor innocent man got hounded out of his house, there was some sort of riot in the housing estate, they destroyed his house, all because he looked like the photograph in the paper.

Thats what i want to avoid, and In my opinion this new idea will have this end up happening again.

How many innocent ones that get *outed* because of paranoia and errors and misjudgements ?
Is the cost of the destroyed lives of those people worth it ?

how many of theese lives destroyed in this way makes up for the lives of children destroyed by paedophiles ?

My opinion .. NONE ! because its still someones life !