Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Alliance Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   NewDawn and P3nguins (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198605)

DragonKing 2 Apr 2010 01:14

NewDawn and P3nguins

In the spirit of PA times long gone, NewDawn officially and publically declares it has formed a non agression pact with the alliance of p3nguins as we feel that our members are best served in a peaceful co-operation with each other until the end of this round. As such no ND member will take aggressive action against any p3nguin member or vice versa

Grog 2 Apr 2010 01:21

Re: NewDawn and P3nguins

april fools?

Enyeez 2 Apr 2010 01:51

ND naping the uni now?

zebra 2 Apr 2010 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enyeez (Post 3190311)
ND naping the uni now?

They're napped to your ally at least; personally confirmed with both HCs.

OlaTa 2 Apr 2010 02:30

A block of 164 planets!
HURRY PEOPLE, COUNTER BLOCK NOW!!!!!!

Makhil 2 Apr 2010 05:50

In the spirit of PA new features, everybody can see NAPs on Universe page (NAPs tab)... and mechanically ND members can't attack Peng (and vice versa) anymore.

ricoshay 2 Apr 2010 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enyeez (Post 3190311)
ND naping the uni now?

I lol'd.

rUl3r 2 Apr 2010 08:31

ND in napping the universe and initiating to victory non shocker.
Largest tag, most naps, you guys are hilarious.
How about you try Sim City?

MaxMilliaN 2 Apr 2010 10:01

ND got lordn, watch out hes dangerous

HellKicker 2 Apr 2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxMilliaN (Post 3190321)
ND got lordn, watch out hes dangerous

Clearly, LordN made ND nap p3n so that they can focus on their war on terrorism. He can decide these things, you know.

lokken 2 Apr 2010 10:41

Good play.

LordNieminen 2 Apr 2010 12:35

yeah, right like I would ask anyone to nap p3nguins.

Maybe refer in future to some real chat logs instead of the ones whom someone has faked somehow ( Haven't seen the fake one yet nor do I care to see) to get somekind of ego boost what seems to have been the idea of pm:ing me over on the IRC even if I wasn't on any public channels. I don't really care about the attention like some.

Anyways well done in massing that amount, I gues no-one was sending any incoming that night to asc/app if you can launch/relaunch almost 200 fleets to my gal with yer friendly gal mates. Haven't bothered to check wich alliance got more out of the attack thou with roids and after the counters.

Knight Theamion 2 Apr 2010 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordNieminen (Post 3190328)

Maybe refer in future to some real chat logs instead of the ones whom someone has faked somehow ( Haven't seen the fake one yet nor do I care to see) to get somekind of ego boost what seems to have been the idea of pm:ing me over on the IRC even if I wasn't on any public channels. I don't really care about the attention like some.

You shouldn't talk about ego-boosts with a signature like that.

Gabriel 2 Apr 2010 21:43

I heard mpulse was gonna cancel the nap now they have your coords and roid nd to death for being too crap

Kargool 3 Apr 2010 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonKing (Post 3190309)
In the spirit of PA times long gone

Translation: Since naps are now public and we need to justify the most chicken move since NoS napped the universe in r13.

t3k 3 Apr 2010 09:55

To be honest I really don't see what the problem is. Whilst NewDawn is a large alliance this round, everyone up to and including themselves will admit that they don't have the average player quality of other round-winning candidates.

Whilst it may be frustrating for some people, NewDawn are simply doing what they think is required to win the round. Until the point where they NAP one of their fellow round-win contenders (which sorry, but that does not include p3ng) then their recent political endeavours really can't be criticized.

NAPs with alliances you're not at war with only mean that you'll have less random incoming so that you can divert your full attention to any wars.

Which, ironically, is what the opposition will do in return. The more people you NAP, the more your competition will feel the need to target you themselves. It's nothing worth complaining about, it's not 'cowardice', it's just a particular strategy which in this case has forced a reaction from somebody else.

Only when somebody emerges victorious will it be clear whether this particular strategy was the right one.

rikavela 4 Apr 2010 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny (Post 3190341)
To be honest I really don't see what the problem is. Whilst NewDawn is a large alliance this round, everyone up to and including themselves will admit that they don't have the average player quality of other round-winning candidates.

Whilst it may be frustrating for some people, NewDawn are simply doing what they think is required to win the round. Until the point where they NAP one of their fellow round-win contenders (which sorry, but that does not include p3ng) then their recent political endeavours really can't be criticized.

NAPs with alliances you're not at war with only mean that you'll have less random incoming so that you can divert your full attention to any wars.

Which, ironically, is what the opposition will do in return. The more people you NAP, the more your competition will feel the need to target you themselves. It's nothing worth complaining about, it's not 'cowardice', it's just a particular strategy which in this case has forced a reaction from somebody else.

Only when somebody emerges victorious will it be clear whether this particular strategy was the right one.

So, it should be quantity > quality? Safety in numbers? I would be ashamed to be a part of alliance that holds such principles tbh. Alliance which is by far the largest alliance needs even more safety and naps ? Nap 1 or 2 more to feel even safer? Then you will have no worries at all?

Or even better nap everyone! Just happily initiate roids and attack randoms till the end of round. That will also be a win for sure.

Imho ND is ruining the game. All other alliances should team up and destroy you just for cowardish tactics of sheer numbers...

Maybe its just me, but i would rather die with lions then live with sheeps. Especially cuz this is the game so the losing doesnt hurt. If you cant win regulary then maybe you shouldnt win and find excuses for "valid tactic"? Or anything counts as long as you win?

Tactic is theoreticaly valid, as it has nothing against rules in it, but in reality its ruining the game... i`m not even going to start with how funny you look when you have to do something like that...

grow a pair, play like a man, win or lose. Its just a game...

Firebird 4 Apr 2010 04:43

I decided i like Nd this round so i allowed mPulse to Nap with them simples now shh and stop disturbing the peace :)

lokken 4 Apr 2010 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190345)
So, it should be quantity > quality? Safety in numbers? I would be ashamed to be a part of alliance that holds such principles tbh. Alliance which is by far the largest alliance needs even more safety and naps ? Nap 1 or 2 more to feel even safer? Then you will have no worries at all?

Or even better nap everyone! Just happily initiate roids and attack randoms till the end of round. That will also be a win for sure.

Imho ND is ruining the game. All other alliances should team up and destroy you just for cowardish tactics of sheer numbers...

Maybe its just me, but i would rather die with lions then live with sheeps. Especially cuz this is the game so the losing doesnt hurt. If you cant win regulary then maybe you shouldnt win and find excuses for "valid tactic"? Or anything counts as long as you win?

Tactic is theoreticaly valid, as it has nothing against rules in it, but in reality its ruining the game... i`m not even going to start with how funny you look when you have to do something like that...

If you know you're not as good as your opponents, outnumbering them seems like a great idea to me. Ultimately you can get a critical mass of effective numbers that can't be overcome however good your opposition is.

This strategy will only last as long as people outside NewDawn are willing to tolerate it. I mean, there's going to be a point where people are going to forget about trying to catch newdawn and start ripping their allies to shreds. Not to mention, last I checked many of ND's opponents were pretty ruthless in how they go about their business.

NewDawn's HC are making the best political moves for their alliance, and I find it hard to criticise them for that, even though your post does have a bit of a point.

t3k 4 Apr 2010 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190345)

lol, noob.

It's a game, ergo you do what you can to do as well as you can. Otherwise, it's simply a formality.

If you lack the quality, you need to compensate with quantity - it's as straightforward as that. People should also bear in mind that another Ascendancy win, or another Apprime win are also possible outcomes this round.

The really sad thing is here is that people complain about Asc winning all the time, or they'll complain about Apprime winning all the time. Yet, the minute an alliance takes a step to try and break the deadlock, they're criticised and flamed for it.

Where's the justice?!

:rolleyes:

Mzyxptlk 4 Apr 2010 11:13

People criticizing their opponents? Say it ain't so!

(P.S. Lok is a weirdo)

izverg 4 Apr 2010 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken (Post 3190347)

NewDawn's HC are making the best political moves for their alliance, and I find it hard to criticise them for that, even though your post does have a bit of a point.

if you call it best politics no wonder you never did politics for asc

Mzyxptlk 4 Apr 2010 11:31

That's funny. :)

Light 4 Apr 2010 12:44

Wonder if a block will form against ND considering Vision, DLR and Asc have a shot at #1 if they take ND down.

rikavela 4 Apr 2010 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny (Post 3190349)
lol, noob.

It's a game, ergo you do what you can to do as well as you can. Otherwise, it's simply a formality.

If you lack the quality, you need to compensate with quantity - it's as straightforward as that. People should also bear in mind that another Ascendancy win, or another Apprime win are also possible outcomes this round.

The really sad thing is here is that people complain about Asc winning all the time, or they'll complain about Apprime winning all the time. Yet, the minute an alliance takes a step to try and break the deadlock, they're criticised and flamed for it.

Where's the justice?!

:rolleyes:

hey "pro", why dont you simply stop sucking ? :|

As if you need whole uni to stop ASC or APP from winning, you are doing something wrong...

JonnyBGood 4 Apr 2010 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190355)

As if you need whole uni to stop ASC or APP from winning, you are doing something wrong...

No, they aren't. God I hope you're not in my alliance.

Mek 4 Apr 2010 15:31

Quote:

i figured i should reply to this to stop you making even more of a tit of yourself than you currently are.....

kenny is not playing for NewDawn

rikavela 4 Apr 2010 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek (Post 3190357)
i figured i should reply to this to stop you making even more of a tit of yourself than you currently are.....

kenny is not playing for NewDawn

Oh and why am i tit? cuz i dont like cowards tactics ? cuz i think quality > quantity ? blow me :)

Doesnt matter if he is playing or not, its adressed to the whole alliance, not him personally.

JonnyBGood 4 Apr 2010 17:46

It's a wargame you tool, the other side being able to get more numbers than you can is part of what makes up "quality".

rikavela 4 Apr 2010 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190360)
It's a wargame you tool, the other side being able to get more numbers than you can is part of what makes up "quality".

Go noobswarm! Who gets more wins! Blocks ahoy! tard...

Light 4 Apr 2010 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190358)
Oh and why am i tit? cuz i dont like cowards tactics ? cuz i think quality > quantity ? blow me :)

Doesnt matter if he is playing or not, its adressed to the whole alliance, not him personally.

and what happends if theres alliances below you with more quality? You should just let them pass you, without trying to beat them through quantity?

rikavela 4 Apr 2010 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3190363)
and what happends if theres alliances below you with more quality? You should just let them pass you, without trying to beat them through quantity?

I think that there is a "line" that shouldnt be crossed with qty, its ok to be the largest alliance etc, but then you shouldnt need even more safety. Or simply divide uni in 2powerblocks and hit each other...

JonnyBGood 4 Apr 2010 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190362)
Go noobswarm! Who gets more wins! Blocks ahoy! tard...

Yeah, pretty much. If you get enough to beat the other side through numbers that's cool. Nothing has ever been wrong with blocks per se. Letting them dominate pa and stagnate the political nature of the round has always been a bad move. But so is anything that stagnates a round. Blocks have given us some of the more interesting rounds of pa. It's just that recently the number of people who care about winning pa is so low that nothing genuinely interesting actually happens, regardless of whether the universe is blocked or not. The prime example of this would be the farce that was last round.

Quote:

I think that there is a "line" that shouldnt be crossed with qty, its ok to be the largest alliance etc, but then you shouldnt need even more safety. Or simply divide uni in 2powerblocks and hit each other...
Good job nobody's running their alliance on what your daft opinions require them to do.

ellonweb 4 Apr 2010 19:49

While blocking to outnumber your enemy because you can't compete with quality is a valid counter move if you're at war, it doesn't really make any sense at the moment. What are ND creating a "safety net" against exactly? (I'm not saying it's a bad move, or unethical or any of that bollocks, it's just a bit odd and pointless.)

Remember however, this is just a NAP, not a proper block/alliance; it's simply two alliances agreeing to avoid each other. This kind of thing happens all the time, it's just not always so out in the open and official.

Mzyxptlk 4 Apr 2010 19:51

It's become a big deal (to a couple of people, anyway) because it's so official-sounding. Official implies long-term. Long-term implies stagnant. Stagnant equals boring.

lokken 4 Apr 2010 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by izverg (Post 3190351)
if you call it best politics no wonder you never did politics for asc

Okay, if you're in ND's position, what would you do?

Membrivio 4 Apr 2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonKing (Post 3190309)
[...] until the end of this round. As such no ND member will take aggressive action against any p3nguin member or vice versa

Hi mz! Not that long term in my dictionary ;-)

Or do you think 1 round is long term?

Mzyxptlk 4 Apr 2010 23:04

Yes, I think a full round (practically) is long-term.

JonnyBGood 4 Apr 2010 23:19

I have to say I would as well. I mean I've never even heard of an actual multi-round agreement so in terms of pa the upper ceiling is one round.

Heartless 5 Apr 2010 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190375)
I have to say I would as well. I mean I've never even heard of an actual multi-round agreement so in terms of pa the upper ceiling is one round.

Round 3, Legion and Xanadu making that "block" for round 3 and round 4.

t3k 5 Apr 2010 03:35

Quote:

If you're so great, where's your round-winning, fear-striking, 10-member-dominating uber-alliance, hmm?

Dude, get off the forums. It's a fair shout that when people from every 'side' concerned tell you you're being a moron - you're being a moron.

rikavela 5 Apr 2010 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny (Post 3190377)
If you're so great, where's your round-winning, fear-striking, 10-member-dominating uber-alliance, hmm?

Dude, get off the forums. It's a fair shout that when people from every 'side' concerned tell you you're being a moron - you're being a moron.

For normal readers - i think that game would be much more interesting if alliances have like 50 (or something like that) members and no blocks, free for all, its true that not so expirienced players couldnt win in start but with time they could actually improve not just make swarms (for retards - i dont say all ND are inexpirienced players).

Gate 5 Apr 2010 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3190383)
For normal readers - i think that game would be much more interesting if alliances have like 50 (or something like that) members and no blocks, free for all,

How do you enforce this? Why wouldn't alliances work together? What happens when 1up/eX or Asc/App play without their relative counterbalance?

Except for the round being over in about 2 weeks.

Light 5 Apr 2010 14:51

One alliance always (or the majority of the time) has more active/quality players and organised alot better than the rest of the alliances; Its only natural that active players gravitate towards other actives.

To balance this, alliances need to co-operate together and block in order to take down or neutralise the threat. This doesnt usually work out though, as the block only acts in the blocks interest at the beginning, as the round progresses each alliance starts thinking about if it would be better them to either switch sides, go noob roiding, or fence.

NewDawn knows that if they start to gain a bigger lead, the universe will turn on them to knock them down. NewDawn are not a high quality alliance capable of fending off this block, so they've simply pre-emptively got an alliance to help them if this happends.

I dont personally see anything wrong with it, infact i see it as a wrong move by NewDawn (or at least doing it officially, rather than simply avoiding each other but enacting the nap if a block happends) as now they're making the other alliances not involved in this nap start thinking about taking down this nap. I guess i'm just highly biased, if Asc had done this, i'd be bitching but i don't view NewDawn as an unstoppable force.

Mzyxptlk 5 Apr 2010 15:09

Blocks, when formed and disbanded at appropriate times, do not harm the game at all, quite the opposite, they improve it. The formation of large blocks is a good thing if that means they are more capable of entering the fight for #1 or of taking down alliances with more active players. It keeps rounds interesting for longer and allows for much more dynamic politics. Obviously alliances will complain if they're blocked against, but it's all in the game, yo.

Blocks only become a problem when they become inflexible, because this reduces their ability to adjust to a new situation, for example when the opponent gives up. Two examples of this were round 31, when Ascendancy had a "rest of the round"-long block with xVx, which resulted in the systematic destruction of the tiny alliances block (which was also a round-long block). and round 34, when Apprime/Ascendancy had a round-long block, as well as the opponents, ND/Subh/DLR/Euphoria. Round-long and rest-of-the-round blocks tend to lead to horrifically boring rounds, with one side just pounding the other until it gives up.

Light 5 Apr 2010 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3190387)
Blocks only become a problem when they become inflexible, because this reduces their ability to adjust to a new situation, for example when the opponent gives up. Two examples of this were round 31, when Ascendancy had a "rest of the round"-long block with xVx, which resulted in the systematic destruction of the tiny alliances block (which was also a round-long block). and round 34, when Apprime/Ascendancy had a round-long block, as well as the opponents, ND/Subh/DLR/Euphoria. Round-long and rest-of-the-round blocks tend to lead to horrifically boring rounds, with one side just pounding the other until it gives up.

Doesnt the #1 alliance (or favourite to win at the time) always need to offer round-long nap's to other alliances willing to help them fight the block? otherwise, why would the lower alliance bother to help another alliance to victory, just to be roided by them once the other side fails?

xVx would of had no incentive to switch to Asc's side, if Asc would just go to war/roid xVx after the blocks had been knocked down but that round cant really be used as an example, as it was a boring round to begin with with only 2 alliances big enough to fight for #1 and one of them was no match for the other in a war.

Round 34 wasnt a 'rest of round' block that made it boring, it was the pre-emptive block by ND/Subh/DLR/Euph which made it boring, forcing the two best alliances to block together, rather than the two best alliances fighting each other.

Anyway, im more curious about who NewDawn will target if a block forms against them.. As it seems this round Vision, DLR, Asc can all step up to the plate to fight NewDawn for #1, so NewDawn doesnt have the option of just targetting there main competitor.

Mzyxptlk 5 Apr 2010 21:00

I'm not sure what you're trying to justify here. If what you took from that post was "it was X's fault", then you missed the point entirely.

Onim 5 Apr 2010 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3190390)
I'm not sure what you're trying to justify here. If what you took from that post was "it was X's fault", then you missed the point entirely.

To add to this, i would even go as far as to totally disagree with the general idea that ND 'needs to be taken down' or 'needs to be targeted or contested for the #1 spot' . as clearly, according to average values/sizes of ND and the gradually increasing gap between their top45 ppl (rough estimate) and the rest of their alliance, they will not be needed to hunt down

Ofcourse, one of their main private gals are bound to be hit some day, and when its organised well it will hurt. This will just be by chance though, not because they are a big threat.

At the moment vision looks best, Asc has better value but less roids, DLR has more roids but less value than asc and less members than VisioN but still chance.

Apprime is best in both value as size, but either need 5-10 more members or staying out of any wars and get a win cause they become unroidable. At this moment in the round, nothing is decided yet, which makes it a VERY good decision of ND to start a NAP (to go back to the topic) . And i hope it starts a chain reaction in alliance politics, too

Hunterrrr 6 Apr 2010 02:53

maxine will you nap me?

Colt 6 Apr 2010 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3190388)

Anyway, im more curious about who NewDawn will target if a block forms against them.. As it seems this round Vision, DLR, Asc can all step up to the plate to fight NewDawn for #1, so NewDawn doesnt have the option of just targetting there main competitor.

Apprime not contender for you?