Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Robert Jordan (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195392)

midge5 17 Sep 2007 09:42

Robert Jordan

Has died :/

Obviously a shame for the bloke and his family but, so close to the end :(

Dace 17 Sep 2007 10:41

Re: Robert Jordon

As soon as i saw the thread title i knew what must have happened. All i can say is that the ****ing **** better have finished off writing the series!

Kargool 17 Sep 2007 16:10

Re: Robert Jordan

He didnt actually, which is why im laughing my head off :p

qebab 17 Sep 2007 16:34

I'm not laughing. I'm terribly annoyed.

And maybe a bit sad, I haven't decided yet. I decidedly feel bad for feeling annoyed but not sad.

Mistwraith 17 Sep 2007 16:51

from variuous sources i hear that it was in draft form, he was dictating it from his hospital bed... so basically its on tape atm, and actually explained the whole thing to his wife and his brother so they knew just where each plot line will go.

OK it wont be in Jordans hand, and we'll probably all notice it..

My thoughts.. if only he hadnt written that damned prequel first! (or does that hold a plot bunny that we havent spotted ? )

and i feel a little ashamed to say i'm annoyed he died without finishing ... i doubt he planned to.

I also feel extremely sad, because thats another part of my childhood gone forever !

The world just lost another shining light in fantasy :(

ChubbyChecker 17 Sep 2007 20:50

I've only read the first 7 books. Is it worth reading the rest?

And oh yeah, shame he's dead. The illness he had was pretty damned serious though so it's no surprise.

Your Brains 18 Sep 2007 06:29

awww fcuknuts! i dont care about the guy, but i hope like hell that draft included the words "The End."

All Systems Go 18 Sep 2007 07:55

Funnily enough, that was the title for the first chapter. ;)

Appocomaster 18 Sep 2007 19:35

I'm glad i'm not the only one who went "ffs he can't die before he finished it.. oh yeah it's really sad he died :(".
Actually, because it's not him writing it but his wife / etc, maybe it'll be finished before it would have been if he had written it....
I'm glad he did apparently draft most of it out though :)

vampire_lestat 28 Sep 2007 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistwraith
from variuous sources i hear that it was in draft form, he was dictating it from his hospital bed... so basically its on tape atm, and actually explained the whole thing to his wife and his brother so they knew just where each plot line will go.

OK it wont be in Jordans hand, and we'll probably all notice it..

My thoughts.. if only he hadnt written that damned prequel first! (or does that hold a plot bunny that we havent spotted ? )

and i feel a little ashamed to say i'm annoyed he died without finishing ... i doubt he planned to.

I also feel extremely sad, because thats another part of my childhood gone forever !

The world just lost another shining light in fantasy :(

Shining light?

WHAT?

Robert Jordan is without a doubt the second most over-rated fantasy author, beaten only by the dire works of Tolkien. For shining lights in fantasy, look to Barcay, Erikson, Gemmell (with and without his wife), Feist, Hobb, and the list goes on and on, and what's more, most of these have bought out new books within the last few months, not to mention our beloved pratchett.

Honestly, is anyone surprised he died without finishing, given how many plot arcs he tries (and fails) to cope with in each book.

It's obviously a shame for anyone to die as he did, but still, nobody (excluding his family and friends, i'd imagine they're pretty down about it) really cares, and he won't really be missed.

Maladoni 28 Sep 2007 08:49

I got mid way through the third before I gave up. That's only the second time I've quit a book/series which was disappointing.

I can echo Lestat, read James Barclay. He spins an exciting yarn.

roadrunner_0 28 Sep 2007 11:45

i cant believe he put hobb before jordan though, hobb is the only author i have ever given up on :(

All Systems Go 28 Sep 2007 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
the dire works of Tolkien.

qft.