Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   About time for a GUI update (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197540)

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 14:54

About time for a GUI update

My work I did last night.

Portal

TechTree 1600x1200

Stage 1: Race Selection

Stage 2: Goverment Forming

Stage 3: Population

Stage 4: Research and Development

Stage 5: Account Details

NOTES: The ship and helmet images are from other sources, no idea who did them.

Any suggestions welcome....

EDIT: Created a blog with all updates on Classic Planetarion

[B5]Londo 14 Mar 2009 14:58

Re: About time for a GUI update

I like it... its so... blue

I notice all races are easy to play :p

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 15:52

yeah text is just a place holder :)

Teddy_Bear 14 Mar 2009 16:01

i have to say i like them, and i agree we need a new portal and look of the game, like i posted on the newplayers/irc thread i recon that the look of PA is one of the resons ppl just dont sign up

Illuvatar 14 Mar 2009 16:14

looks very user friendly good job

M0RPH3US 14 Mar 2009 17:51

i like it

maybe not the colours and the random gfx u inserted there
but it contains everything whats needed to see, not more not less

very nice

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 17:56

Added stage 2 of sign up, forming a Goverment.

[B5]Londo 14 Mar 2009 17:59

while its all very well to encourage the formation of governments plz try to remember any Fued player wont form a govt until he starts building ships, tick 60 at the earliest.

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by [B5]Londo (Post 3167202)
while its all very well to encourage the formation of governments plz try to remember any Fued player wont form a govt until he starts building ships, tick 60 at the earliest.

Thats why I placed a WAIT thingy there. No where in the current PA does it state how to play the game.

EDIT: You could even amend the end of the discriptions to include suggested strategy points.

[B5]Londo 14 Mar 2009 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3167203)
Thats why I placed a WAIT thingy there. No where in the current PA does it state how to play the game.

EDIT: You could even amend the end of the discriptions to include suggested strategy points.

apologies for my 1337 eyes o_0

yeh certainly a start up process that puts you through the right stages could be quite helpful to new startups.

GReaper 14 Mar 2009 19:13

Looks quite nice. It isn't perfect, but this is certainly close to what the game needs.

Someone get this man involved, along with new people who know how to implement it properly. No more walls of text on any page!

vuLgAr 14 Mar 2009 19:36

looks good :) a lot more user friendly than the current layout.

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 19:54

Added Population screen

Teddy_Bear 14 Mar 2009 22:50

i really like they way you have done the sign up account giving the steps to your planet hopefully explaining things to new players slowly and this way they cant just get into game without ever having a bit of manual info thrown at them :) many games ive played have sign ups like this. hope the PA team take note

also looking at the pictures on the imgs the helmet was on a welcome image on planetarion.com and also the default galaxy banner i forget from which round. The ship in the top left is a cathaar spider if i recall from the days we were gonna get ship pics i believe this was one of the few ever done but never got ingame. The two ships on the portal part in the middle i think where done by a old player when pa was still talking about getting them images of ships in game (not 100% sure on this one) am i rite?

MrLobster 14 Mar 2009 23:12

The top right ship is acutally the tarantula, the spider has only 3 pylons.

I should have that I collected these images (and many many more) over the last few years. I know the names of the ships, but not who made them.

Teddy_Bear 14 Mar 2009 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3167242)
I should have that I collected these images (and many many more) over the last few years. I know the names of the ships, but not who made them.

can u put up the old ships that where done, i do like a trip down memory lane

Gate 15 Mar 2009 02:24

YES!

This sort of thing is very good. Pictures are great.

ellonweb 15 Mar 2009 03:21

I like the colour scheme and the layout is decent too.
Using copyrighted images is a problem, but I hope someone at Fubra might see this and use it as inspiration and create a better version from scratch.

Props for effort!

eltsin 15 Mar 2009 17:38

Looks decent MrL. I hope they can find some inspiration in this and create an up to date GUI for the game.

Illuvatar 15 Mar 2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GReaper (Post 3167212)
Looks quite nice. It isn't perfect, but this is certainly close to what the game needs.

Someone get this man involved, along with new people who know how to implement it properly. No more walls of text on any page!

second that. he invested time in this others (e.g. Androx) so get him involved by creating a new portal for next round the current one is just shit compared to what others made the last rounds. stop using templates please! Rather get 1 cool portal up matching criterias like user friendliness, overview and pls dont spam the portal with useless details like whats happening on forums etc.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Veedeejem! 15 Mar 2009 23:00

I'd be more than willing to help out with MrLobster + others if they ever needed help :)

t3k 16 Mar 2009 16:22

fecking good work mate.

HellKicker 16 Mar 2009 16:25

yes please, good work!

Zaejii 16 Mar 2009 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3167203)
No where in the current PA does it state how to play the game.

which is why i would personally like to see more informative quests & tutorials for new players. i've tried to bring new players to the game before and they didn't understand the quest system and instructions because it tells you what to do, but not how to do it. they are also not linear, meaning you can do step 4 of advanced, step 2 of beginner, etc - instead of beginner step 1-5, advanced 1-5 and such.

nice images too, i don't remember where i've seen a layout similar to that though. i think it was one of the mmo's i've played.

MrLobster 16 Mar 2009 18:39

I will say that any reselmblance to other work, is purely coincidental.

I spent a few hours, moving stuff around and adding bevels/shadow/glows to everything trying to find a good design.

These were my second attempt, but the first was pretty similar.

MrLobster 17 Mar 2009 14:02

Added tech tree

[JungleMuffin] 14 Apr 2009 11:00

I strongly belive that OP links should replace the current setup.

[DW]Entropy 14 Apr 2009 11:15

glad someone linked me here, because now i know what a huge balls up has been made with the new portal, those ideas are awesome and should be implemented or be given the time to be implemented.

fantastic work

VenoX 14 Apr 2009 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by [JungleMuffin] (Post 3171015)
I strongly belive that OP links should replace the current setup.

Sjimmy 14 Apr 2009 12:34

I'm really impressed with the work you did MrLobster, keep it up :D

Hope someone important agrees with us ;)

Kael 14 Apr 2009 13:11

Awesome work there MrLobster!

Achilles 14 Apr 2009 14:47

This thread is over a month old and there seems to be zero take-up from anyone who matters. Shame.

neroon 14 Apr 2009 16:22

ehm, Achi just pointed this thread out in new portal thread..

i must agree its really shameful that such a nice work has not been taken into account and the terrible new skin was implanted instead..

great work lobster dude, its very nice and just the thing we need as new portal imo.. the steps towards creating an account and all the grafics as well was perfect.. perfect i say

shame on ppl that work on this game and are not making anything up from suggestions that good

LukeyLove 14 Apr 2009 19:12

Looks awesome, I love it! It looks more akin to a MMORPG than a text based game - which would attract a whole new set of players. Definately a huge improvement, especially on the latest FUBRA attempts at a portal! The other areas look to be nice improvements too, id love this as a skin.

RuBBeR 15 Apr 2009 11:58

looks pretty good man, keep up the good worK!

sale 15 Apr 2009 14:07

looks quite good to me! nice job!

MrLobster 27 Apr 2009 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by neroon (Post 3171067)
ehm, Achi just pointed this thread out in new portal thread..

i must agree its really shameful that such a nice work has not been taken into account and the terrible new skin was implanted instead..

great work lobster dude, its very nice and just the thing we need as new portal imo.. the steps towards creating an account and all the grafics as well was perfect.. perfect i say

shame on ppl that work on this game and are not making anything up from suggestions that good

I was asked by PATeam if would be able to supply them with the source and images, but I have been without internet for about a month so was unable to send it.

However i'm back now, and i will see if my work can be included in some form or another.

Tomkat 27 Apr 2009 18:54

I wish PA Team had someone in their ranks who would regularly post on their behalf and give feedback etc to suggestions in these forums :(

MrLobster 6 May 2009 17:40

Created a blog with all updates on Classic Planetarion

Appocomaster 6 May 2009 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat (Post 3172456)
I wish PA Team had someone in their ranks who would regularly post on their behalf and give feedback etc to suggestions in these forums :(

they are read. However, as there's a popular thread on pd from the owner's official graphics designer which seems to have a fair amount of support, until we have a passport system which supports multiple templates, i'm not sure what we're meant to do :( if MrLobster gives us graphics and a css file in the format we've previously given him we'll attempt to integrate his lovely work ingame.

MrLobster 15 Aug 2010 07:25

Another year, another bump for my work.

I'm available to work if Jagex has any free spaces?

I've not looked at the graphics since last year, so adjustments would be in order.

colane 23 Jun 2011 11:55

héhé,

My first post will be a necro :)

But I believe an improvement of graphics would definately bring back more players!
I love PA since i came back this round,
but the stuff to look at while playing is just boring!

Come on jagex! this can be better!

I felt this had to be said yet AGAIN!

thank you for reading!
:D

Kargool 23 Jun 2011 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by colane (Post 3208046)
héhé,

My first post will be a necro :)

But I believe an improvement of graphics would definately bring back more players!
I love PA since i came back this round,
but the stuff to look at while playing is just boring!

Come on jagex! this can be better!

I felt this had to be said yet AGAIN!

thank you for reading!
:D

We need some graphic monkeys in the PA team.

Korsan 23 Jun 2011 17:55

I dont know what to say...

It took you 1 day of work to redesign half of PAs ugly pages and facelift it.

I'm asking myself what the hell the PA devs are doing all the time.

I absolutely love your work and I think that's the first step PA needs to do before it can even think about attracting new players.

Next step would be an IRC client tailored for PA with automatic netgamers registration and all common channels in it. Maybe even an online client which you dont need to download, basically a vastly improved com unit

+1 from me

EDIT: Just realized the necro. Still thumbs up from me for your work. An even bigger shame that the devs STILL HAVEN'T WORKED ON THIS!!!

Reincarnate 23 Jun 2011 18:24

PA has devs?

Rhubarb 23 Jun 2011 21:48

I agree with korsan's comment about the com-unit which should be much improved & think the designs look great.

Can we have a competition each round to create the best design/graphics for something? Maybe that way your see who is out there with time and skill?

Rhubarb

Shev 24 Jun 2011 00:20

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the com unit. It doesn't need to be more complicated as it does the job it needs to do perfectly well, except the odd scrolling issue when changing channels.

Cochese 24 Jun 2011 04:33

Looks fantastic, anything is better than what's up there now but this is really great.

As for credit for the images...I know Coffee did quite a bit of images and stuff in r2/3/4. Can't say the helmet design is his though, the ship designs either...I think those came from Spanner unless I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's Coffee though.

Korsan 24 Jun 2011 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev (Post 3208060)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the com unit. It doesn't need to be more complicated as it does the job it needs to do perfectly well, except the odd scrolling issue when changing channels.

My suggestions are to make comunit more accessible and uncomplicated.

It's a pain to explain new players how to set up irc (as com unit doesnt work for +i channels). A PA tailored IRC would be very handy. This IRC should also be integrated into PA and replace comunit.

The com unit as it is now is cryptic and doesn't work for many cases. As soon as you start playing in an alliance you'll need do undergo the time consuming mIRC setup procedure. At "Horde" it was a pain to explain people why IRC is needed and how they should use it. Any simplified way to give new users a way to connect to the community is by no means complicating the game, just demanding some work from some coding genius

Shev 24 Jun 2011 16:50

The comunit does work for +i channels, I'm sitting in multiple different ones on it right now.

A guide probably would be useful though, yes.