Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Nickname (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190878)

DaffyDuck 14 May 2006 15:49

Your Nickname

What is your nickname?? i.e DaffyDuck and why did you choose/given that nickname? (handle)

DaffyDuck : i was given it by a chat company i worked for because no matter what happened i never gave up and i apparently was a miserable so and so, just like DaffyDuck :) (stuck ever since)

pablissimo 14 May 2006 16:14

Re: Your Nickname

Marketing exercise?

SYMM 14 May 2006 16:14

A chat company you say? don't suppose you'd be prepared to tell us which one so we can go and boost their ad revenue?

pig 14 May 2006 16:15

A chat company seems interesting can I give you some money my nigerian friend

wu_trax 14 May 2006 16:22

It was back in 99 or 98. I just got an internet connection (56k-modem with dial up. God, today i dont even know how I could live with that) and decided to give that whole playing computer games on the internet a try.
For that I needed some nickname (and a game, ofc. After I noticed that C&C Red Alert kind of sucked I decided to play Age of Empires). The first attempt 'encar_111' didnt sound like much. So because creatvity kind of never was my strength I looked around in my room and saw two cds: some Wu-Tang-Clan-album (I don't even remember which one it was, all I do remember is that it was a double cd) and a blank cd made by a company called 'Trax'-Data. So I put the two words together and put that underscore in the middle.
I like the sound of it, so I've been using it ever since. It also appears to be pretty much unique, so whenever you see someone calling himself wu_trax, that's probably me.

pig 14 May 2006 16:24

seeing as he seems real...

my name comes from back in the day where we had private galaxies and we were a animal farm (get it?) so I chose pig. Kinda stuck with me but no one calls me it irl, which is good so I prefer my name Simon ;/ one day I might switch to my real name. Btw I swear we have had threads like this before

eJohn 14 May 2006 16:24

after i married david furnish it was time to reveal my true colours.

DaffyDuck 14 May 2006 16:26

i used to work for MSN Chat UK Teens Department about 3 years ago before it closed in october 2002, so not its not a marketing exercise its a general question. thought it would be interesting to find out reason behind people's nicknames thats all, Grrr...

Alki 14 May 2006 16:27

originally it started off as Alkibas, when some girl just started calling me it for no apparent reason on our school trip to germany. Then i just used it for the internet, now I get called Alki after drinking myself silly for a good long period of time. I vary between the two, but i felt Alkibas was unique as whenever i use it anywhere noone uses it what so ever

pig 14 May 2006 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
i used to work for MSN Chat UK Teens Department

So your job was to chat with people under 16? Or am I reading this all wrong.

wu_trax 14 May 2006 16:37

chatting up 16 year olds seems to be popular around here, so you have come to the right place :)

G.K Zhukov 14 May 2006 16:47

I called my r3 planetarion planet for "Marshall Zhukov of the EasternFront" or something....

Zhukov was a WWII russian general, who later had a brief spell as Minister of Defence.

DaffyDuck 14 May 2006 16:48

In Reply to : So your job was to chat with people under 16? Or am I reading this all wrong.

Hmm... My Job was to control the room's from illegal actions, and to make sure that people under 20 could talk in a safe environment, however due to a massive increase in user capacity this became impossible so we had to close the network down as we felt it was becoming unsafe,

Snurx 14 May 2006 17:03

Are you the same DaffyDuck that frequentet these boards a while ago? Or was it another nick with duck in it. My memory is a sad affair :(

I don't remeber how I got this nick, actually. I guess I just typed it out and liked it's ring.

Alki 14 May 2006 17:05

angryduck?

madi 14 May 2006 17:10

what are you doing here?
(am interested in how people find themselves posting here)

oh and my nick is my name

Alki 14 May 2006 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by madi
what are you doing here?

there was me hoping you had a mad eye:(

DaffyDuck 14 May 2006 17:31

No sorry i am not angryduck person u refer to, i found my way here via playing planetarion again (was bored one day about a month ago and remembered when i was at school years ago i played this game think it was round 1 or 2. so decided to play again :D :D

KoeN 14 May 2006 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by madi
what are you doing here?

meglamaniac 14 May 2006 17:51

When I first played PA (yes there was a time, shock horror) someone already had "Megalomaniac", so I thought I'd be daft and went for "Meglamaniac". I registered my forum account shortly afterwards.
Megalomaniac was a bit unwieldly for IRC, so logically got shortened to megla, which is what I tend to get called now.

midge5 14 May 2006 18:13

When I created this account I was quite small for my age so I went to use midget as my nick. Unfortunately that was taken so I tried midget1, midget2 and both taken. Switched to midge out of frustration but that was also taken so I just hit a random number and here we are.

Alki 14 May 2006 18:18

oh ma gad, your actually called Koen?

Proxi 14 May 2006 18:30

No, it's spelt KoeN.

Androme 14 May 2006 18:51

Androme account disappeared.

Ste 14 May 2006 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
no one calls me it irl,

Yeh we do...
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
Hmm... My Job was to control the room's from illegal actions, and to make sure that people under 20 could talk in a safe environment, however due to a massive increase in user capacity this became impossible so we had to close the network down as we felt it was becoming unsafe,

OH **** they've found us :(

Oh and my nick is self-explanatory.

IncubusGod 14 May 2006 19:08

I have no idea why on earth I picked this username to be honest, a college friend had introduced me to Planetarion when round 1 was starting and I had to sign up to the forums a while later. I had to think of a ruler name for my planet quite quickly as I had a lecture so I was just gonna pick Incubus...

But then I didn't want people to think I was a fan of that band with the same name, so I shoved a 'God' on the end.

Can't recall what I named my planet.

Anyway, I then just used the same name signing up for the forums.

Deepflow 14 May 2006 19:16

It came to me in a dream.

SYMM 14 May 2006 19:17

SYMM is the title of a manic street preachers song, named in response to Jimmy Mcgovern's film about hillsborough, and standing for South Yorkshire Mass Murderer. My planet in round 3 was "SYMM of An Empty Motorcycle".

Ultimate Newbie 14 May 2006 19:22

My forum name of Ultimate Newbie was actually suggested by the then (R3) Strategy Forum moderator riposte (iirc, it might have been Tactitus). After showing more interest than normal in how combat worked and the various pros and cons of the ships at the time, riposte said something along the lines of me being the best (re interest) new player that he had seen in a while. Thus the name, Ultimate Newbie :).

As for my different IRC nick, when i started my planet, it wanted a ruler name. Not quite sure what that was about, i eventually called myself the Sovereign of Dark Aurora, and the IRC nickname held. Not overly imaginative :\

ChubbyChecker 14 May 2006 20:39

I really can't remember what was going through my head when I picked my forum nick.

Marv 14 May 2006 20:50

I had read hitch hikers for about the millionth time and still thought marvin was the best character. just shortened it as i felt it sounded better :P

pyirt 14 May 2006 21:19

I`ve had so many, I can`t remember them all; "Hans_Blix; VooHoo!, Dr_Jim_Lad, etc".

Cannon_Fodder 14 May 2006 21:45

Contrary to popular believe, my nick isnt from the game, rather my thoughts and ideology at the time.

Cooling 14 May 2006 21:52

I got it off the back of an air conditioning unit.

Nadar 14 May 2006 22:09

I'm not sure why I ended up with this nick. It was back in the day (1999/2000?) when I used to play AoE2 online. I needed a nick and ended up with Nadar (I had never heard of it before). Later I found out it means "to swim" in spanish :o Someone shortened my nick one day to 'nads' and lots of people call me that now.

Phalon 14 May 2006 23:25

Mine was a name thought up when i was about 10 years old and played that god-frosaken game that is warhammer.

It's sort of the only thing that has stuck with me for any great length of time on the internet.

To this day i have no idea if my nick has any meaning.

My only regret is losing my account (originally registered nov 2000) in the great Fudging of yesteryear.

Damn him.

KaneED 14 May 2006 23:31

In real life I'm part of the Senegalese group Nuru Kane.

I'm the Kane part.

pig 14 May 2006 23:51

Your nick is the best on the forums without exception.

Dante Hicks 15 May 2006 00:04

I'm sure we've done this thread a few times. In any case, my nick's source is fairly obvious. As I have also said before, it was made extra sweet by the fact I shared a galaxy with randal in R5.

When I am out clubbing I generally tell people my name is Dante. :(

Deepflow 15 May 2006 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
When I am out clubbing I generally tell people my name is Dante. :(

That is excellent.

Vaio 15 May 2006 13:20

I have only ever bought Sony laptops and it's quite a cool name, much better than Compaq Armade or Toshiba

AndroX 15 May 2006 14:21

AndroX

Well, beside other people think instandly of toilet paper or a woman fraction group I came up with this nick out of my own.
My real life name is Xander, toss those letters a tad and replace the e with an o and your done :) (thats also why the X is capital, because it's the start letter of my name)

Marilyn Manson 15 May 2006 14:28

I am Marilyn Manson.

Cannon_Fodder 15 May 2006 15:12

Omg really? Can I PM you?

Raskolnikov 15 May 2006 16:44

It's the name of my favourite character in literature. Rodion Romanovitsj Raskolnikov.

G.K Zhukov 15 May 2006 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
As I have also said before, it was made extra sweet by the fact I shared a galaxy with randal in R5.

Was he that uber1337?

Marilyn Manson 15 May 2006 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniborp
Omg really? Can I PM you?

Feel free, please.