Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are You in a Recession Yet? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197230)

dda 6 Dec 2008 00:11

Are You in a Recession Yet?

There seems to be a lot of economic bad news going around. Has it had any noticable effect on any of you on GD?

Has Yahwe had to start drinking an inferior appelation of Champagne?

Has Tomkat had to give up life threatening illnesses in favor of less costly maladies?

Has Zhukov noticed anything other than the increased possibilities for revolution?

What about T & F? Can he still afford decent petit coats for his maid attire?

Up to this point I have been unaffected. However, I admit I am concerned with the possibility of hyper-inflation. That could cause a gigantic disruption in my retirement plans.

G.K Zhukov 6 Dec 2008 00:14

Re: Are You in a Recession Yet?

Zhukov has now finished his studies and are now out of work.

He can now use his time to plot a revolution and play FM2009 :)

dda 6 Dec 2008 00:14

And I almost forgot....

What about QR5? Or does being victimized by recessive genes count?

_Kila_ 6 Dec 2008 00:32

The revolution really is coming. You'd better watch your back old man.

Yahwe 6 Dec 2008 01:02

I'm actually quite cheap to run.

my father thinks i can go 2 years unemployment without noticing a change of lifestyle.

I think he underestimates me

Antoninus Pius 19 Dec 2008 12:38

All we need is a global war.

It's all hands to the pumps.

Nothing like a good game of British Bulldog to get the beer back to proper strength.

Then we all forget why we are fighting in the first place. No need for select committees never mind that your shilling don't even get you a yard of knicker elastic anymore.

War and whores. That's the ticket.

QazokRouge5 19 Dec 2008 21:52

The company I was working for is going out of business which = me out of a job.

_Kila_ 21 Dec 2008 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by QazokRouge5 (Post 3161366)
The company I was working for is going out of business which = me out of a job.

I'm in the same boat, except mine is just a part time job

Marilyn Manson 22 Dec 2008 17:00

My sex life is in recession. :(

G.K Zhukov 22 Dec 2008 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue (Post 3161456)
I'm actually doing extremely well financially. I am earning double what I was 2 years ago, although I am also working twice the hours. If they could my office would ask me to do more, so my job is going nowhere.

You realize that this means you have not gotten a raise in terms of real income per working hour for the last two years?

pig 23 Dec 2008 11:17

I haven't been credit crunched yet, but the general mood seems like we are heading that way. The bars and restaurants are quieter. Waitrose is now quieter in the evening. Work wise I think my job is safe for now, but gotta put in the hours and work quality to justify my job.

Still a new year etc.

G.K Zhukov 23 Dec 2008 22:46

So you dont work for downing street no more?

Yahwe 24 Dec 2008 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov (Post 3161612)
You realize that this means you have not gotten a raise in terms of real income per working hour for the last two years?

that depends entirely upon inflation.

_Kila_ 24 Dec 2008 03:39

my hairline is in recession :(

(oh come on, I've been waiting for someone like DDA or Tomkat (you'll always be bald to me) to make this joke for ages. **** you guys)

Tomkat 24 Dec 2008 14:47

My hairline is further back than it was before I lost my hair actually. I don't think it's receding - it seems to have stopped now - but I notice it!

(I hear Yahwe will be... inflating... over christmas!!!!)

G.K Zhukov 25 Dec 2008 13:32

I'm finished with my teacher studies.

So I'm now applying for jobs, as long as they pay above 30k £ a year and doesn't involve teaching.

If I don't get any job in the next two months, I will be forced to think about applying for teaching jobs.

I'm still doing various work for my party, I'm still a commie, I'm still shit with women, I want to go to Germany again next summer (Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Thuringen and perhaps Prague) and I still love tanks and WWII history.

I've just gotten a canon eos 450d for xmas, and my shoulder/neck is rotten after many years of gaming/pc use.

pig 25 Dec 2008 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov (Post 3161768)
So I'm now applying for jobs, as long as they pay above 30k £

I'm still a commie,

I want to go to Germany again next summer (Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Thuringen and perhaps Prague

G.K Zhukov 26 Dec 2008 16:13

I'm perfectly aware that Prague isnt a part of Germany, pig. It serves more of a extension of the germany-tour.

dda 30 Dec 2008 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe (Post 3160157)
I'm actually quite cheap to run.

my father thinks i can go 2 years unemployment without noticing a change of lifestyle.

I think he underestimates me

Does this mean that you ARE unemployed or that you will survive in the event that you become unemployed?

dda 30 Dec 2008 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_ (Post 3161696)
my hairline is in recession :(

(oh come on, I've been waiting for someone like DDA or Tomkat (you'll always be bald to me) to make this joke for ages. **** you guys)

My hairline is where it has always been. In fact, since my heart attack my hair is growing faster than ever. Oddly, my hair, which was always straight, is now starting to get wavy. I blame Obama!

dda 30 Dec 2008 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue (Post 3161456)

What has actually screwed me over is the exchange rate because I was going to go on holiday to California next year, but now its a much more expensive proposition.

In a gesture of hands across the sea and such, I offer to take you to dinner should you come to the San Francisco Bay Area on your holiday. This would save you at least a little money.

CrashTester 7 Jan 2009 01:27

recession? nah..I'm still rich.

horn 8 Jan 2009 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTester (Post 3162519)
recession? nah..I'm still rich.

BllLaAHAHAHAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tomkat 9 Jan 2009 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov (Post 3161768)
I'm finished with my teacher studies.

So I'm now applying for jobs, as long as they pay above 30k £ a year and doesn't involve teaching.

If I don't get any job in the next two months, I will be forced to think about applying for teaching jobs.

Why did you train as a teacher if you don't want to become one?

G.K Zhukov 10 Jan 2009 15:17

Obviously becouse I wanted to become one. Then the one year teaching course and the experiences I had in the two school I practised in, changed my mind.

Tomkat 10 Jan 2009 18:10

Mmmm

The perceptions people have of what it takes to be a teacher are often incorrect. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped for :(

Zeyi 10 Jan 2009 19:18

A re-what?

G.K Zhukov 10 Jan 2009 19:48

I don't think my perception about beeing a teacher was wrong. It was just that I couldn't see myself working at such a unproffesional place.

Just to name two things I experienced:

a) The teacher has to collect money for the skiing-day. In cash. This takes a few minutes from several classes. Obviously the money should be paid by the parents the usual way or handled by the schools administration. In no way should the teacher be responsible for taking in cash and using precious time for it. I know it was done this way when I was 9 (1989), but the world has moved on and most do banking by internet now.

b) The school decided to mark the "World mental health day" or something. Ok enough. But then you should be sure that the pupils get something out of the program, making sure the quality of the program is good and sound. This wasnt done, and three hours of class was wasted. The program was crap and only contributed to stigmatising pupils with mental problems.

G.K Zhukov 12 Jan 2009 22:46

Maybe so, but at least I won't have to deal with troublesome pupils without being able to use the "tools" needed to fix the problem.

Our upper secondary school is optional, but at the same time you would get into problems if you started to kick out pupils who only sabotaged your classes.

The norwegian school system is a mess, and sadly its "reformed" quite often by our politicians.

I hope I can get a IT-job at the university. It will be more orderly, I wont have to deal with pupils who need some kick in the arse without being able to kick em in the arse*, and on top of that it pays 4k better.

Quite alot of teachers here, specially those educated from the uni's, are taking other jobs than teaching. Quite simply becouse that there are better jobs out there.

*a metaphor.

Nodrog 13 Jan 2009 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue (Post 3162933)
Well as long as you don't relish any challenge in life I suppose that playing it safe and boring option is something you can be proud of in years to come.

dont you work in the civil service?

G.K Zhukov 13 Jan 2009 21:03

Didnt you even work for Tony Blair in his "spin-department" ?

In that case, you have sold your sold to the devil, and has therefore no soul to be crushed Im afraid :(

G.K Zhukov 13 Jan 2009 21:38

Does it make it better? ;)