Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Law Question (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195693)

You Are Gay 9 Nov 2007 14:27

Law Question

Yahwe, milo's sig has a link to this article. Gorman is told he would be arrested for breach of the peace if he didn't leave. Are the Police actually within their rights to do that given the specifics of the circumstance?

Tomkat 9 Nov 2007 15:54

Re: Law Question

Of course they are, he sounds like a pedo who's going to pedo-eat them with his digital camera!

Dante Hicks 9 Nov 2007 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Are Gay
Yahwe, milo's sig has a link to this article. Gorman is told he would be arrested for breach of the peace if he didn't leave. Are the Police actually within their rights to do that given the specifics of the circumstance?

Can there even be a proper answer to that question?

Could the police have physically arrested him? Yes.
Would have any charges been placed against him? Almost certainly not.
Were the cops being twats? By the sounds of it, yeah.
Would he have suffered beyond inconvenience? Not likely.
Would, if challenged, the cops and security guard swear blind that he kicked off and was getting agitated? Very possibly.
If he complained to the police force in question, would his complaint be upheld? Possibly.
Could he sue the police for eighty billion pounds? No. But he might get a letter of apology and a mug saying "I've Met the Met".

Does any of this matter? No.

Nodrog 9 Nov 2007 22:30

Even if he was taking photos of children why would this be illegal :confused:

milo 9 Nov 2007 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
If he complained to the police force in question, would his complaint be upheld? Possibly.

Almost certainly not, having had a friends who tried to complain what most people are left with is a letter to the affect of

Dear Sir/Madam/Ms/Mrs/Prof/Foreign git/Dr

Thank you for your letter dated ../../.. in which you expressed the aggressive/inapppropriate/judgemental/bullying/bastardish/fascist/abusive and generally shit attitude of PC/WPC/DC/DS .........

We have been unable to find any evidence of what you say, and PC/WPC/DC/DS contradicts you. We trust them so **** you. I would like to assure you we hold ourselves to the highest standards and I will be sure to advice the officer concerned to be clearer in his/her mannerisms in the future.

yours sincerely

Blah.

Thats assuming the complaint isn't outright rejected, i don't know anyone whos complained in about a year but afaik in england and wales complaints first go to the force concerned not the ipcc. If your complaint isn't alledging anything illegal and basically just says the officer was a complete and utter cnut* they do little more than ignore you.

* which from what i hear most complaints are about

milo 9 Nov 2007 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog

If the photographs were thought to be indecent?? Which is vague enough a term to arrest anyone you don't like the look of. I don't think any law states the child has to be naked or in xyz pose, just 'indecent'.

roadrunner_0 10 Nov 2007 01:18

Quote:

because nowadays, unlesss you have the specific permission of the parent/guardian, it is most definately frowned upon to take any pictured of kids, in a most serious way

oh, and for the record, i would have turned the recorder on my phone on for both conversations, and refused to leave

Mzyxptlk 10 Nov 2007 01:21

'frowned upon' is not the same as 'illegal'.

roadrunner_0 10 Nov 2007 01:27

you're right, it isnt, however, speaking as someone who has to work with this stupidity, if they had looked at his camera, and it had pictures of children on, no matter how innocuous they seemed, the police wouldnt have been asking him to leave

Dante Hicks 10 Nov 2007 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo
Almost certainly not, having had a friends who tried to complain what most people are left with is a letter to the affect of

Assuming that blog is actually Dave Gorman (I've not checked), I suspect the difference here is that your friends weren't minor celebrities.

If I was the Inspector (or whomever it is responds to this sort of thing) I'd weigh up the possible damage of simply apologising for the officers "understandable heavy handedness given recent problems in the area" versus the potential damage if some stupid media "thing" occurs and four thousand witnesses contradict the officers versions of events.

Yahwe 10 Nov 2007 14:34

I don't approve of this gimmick account.

Tomkat 10 Nov 2007 15:15

It isn't a gimmick account - he's made 142 posts already. He's normally into creative kooks though!

Hebdomad 11 Nov 2007 19:48

Quote:

I know professional photographers who require their models to fill out a minor model release form. I guess this does not apply to celebrities though else most of the tabloids would be bankrupt by now.

Yahwe 11 Nov 2007 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad
I know professional photographers who require their models to fill out a minor model release form. I guess this does not apply to celebrities though else most of the tabloids would be bankrupt by now.

weeks can I ask where you grew up?

I don't want this to be a big thing. So I'm not saying publicly why and it certainly isn't a bad thing. Just something you typed is interesting for a study my father's been doing. - please pm

Hebdomad 12 Nov 2007 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
weeks can I ask where you grew up?

I don't want this to be a big thing. So I'm not saying publicly why and it certainly isn't a bad thing. Just something you typed is interesting for a study my father's been doing. - please pm

but you wrote this in a thread :confused:
it is a big thing. it's very big. i've compared.

Marilyn Manson 12 Nov 2007 17:08

horn's in parties

it's in the can