Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Round Length (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197523)

zPeti 8 Mar 2009 18:07

Round Length

Hello everyone,

I have been discussing future round lengths with the PA team. I would like players' input as well.

Please could you vote in the poll in how long your ideal round length is.

Thanks,
Pete

Cochese 8 Mar 2009 18:08

Re: Round Length

I think 7 weeks is fine.

gzambo 8 Mar 2009 18:30

i also think 7 weeks is fine

HellKicker 8 Mar 2009 18:36

7 weeks represent great justice

Bubert Samson 8 Mar 2009 18:36

I could deal with it being a little longer, but I dont have any problem with the traditional round lengths.

eltsin 8 Mar 2009 18:37

10 weeks!

csillag 8 Mar 2009 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltsin (Post 3166509)
10 weeks!

omg:p i vote for SEVEN!!!:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

carDi 8 Mar 2009 18:38

7weeks is for noobs ;/

csillag 8 Mar 2009 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDK - CarDinaL (Post 3166511)
7weeks is for noobs ;/

and am proud of it!

Tharky 8 Mar 2009 18:41

No more than 7 weeks imo. I would even prefer 6 weeks;) or simply play till tick 1000.

How about doing a poll about galaxy size (i think 20 people is too much)

NOV 8 Mar 2009 18:41

my favorite is long rounds so 9 or 10 weeks

pudsey83 8 Mar 2009 18:42

7 weeks is good, and a few days of havoc, Plenty to fill the Need for PA

VampiriA 8 Mar 2009 18:43

7 week :P

Zaejii 8 Mar 2009 18:45

longer rounds promote more value play, so i voted for 10 weeks. i'd be more apt to vote for a shorter round if they altered the exp formula to make both methods of play viable in shorter rounds.

Banned 8 Mar 2009 18:50

It really depends on a lot of factors, but in my opinion the most enjoyable rounds are the longer ones where the game is allowed develop over many stages.

Gary 8 Mar 2009 18:52

I believe a round should last for at least 8 weeks as it forces people to be more sensible with their landings and allows for more interesting politics.

Tazmaniandevil 8 Mar 2009 18:52

how about a year long? Nah only messin 7 weeks is more then fine :D

Bloodhands 8 Mar 2009 18:56

10 weeks would let the players develop the planets and fleets. but rounding down to 1500 ticks would be fine too (9 weeks + 1 or 2 roll backs since you know its going to happen)

Eternity 8 Mar 2009 18:56

I voted for 10 weeks because I think it gives a greater opportunity for alliances to get into some serious hostilities.

TXC 8 Mar 2009 18:59

we need atleast 10 weeks of play. i voted on 10 weeks cause i cannot vote on more than that.

Mzyxptlk 8 Mar 2009 19:04

The longer the game goes, the more skill starts outweighing numbers. As such, I am a proponent of 10 week rounds.

[edit]It is worth mentioning that game design is not a democratic process.

Bazza[RB] 8 Mar 2009 19:08

no less than 8 weeks please

carDi 8 Mar 2009 19:08

dont forget that game crash 3-5times per round, so 7weeks is way to short

CBA 8 Mar 2009 19:12

7 weeks fine!

Illuvatar 8 Mar 2009 19:14

8 weeks at a lower cost

Mek 8 Mar 2009 19:18

give us 10 weeks...it gives alliances more time to dictate politics and should, in theory, lead to a better round =)

vuLgAr 8 Mar 2009 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk

Agreed :|

LukeyLove 8 Mar 2009 19:32

Would of voted 6 weeks if i could, but 7 weeks isnt too bad! Often the latter part of rounds become stale, especially if one alliance is dominating (aka asc at the end of last few rounds) this round seems to be different and appears to remain competitive towards the end. But in general id say 6-7 weeks is ideal!

GrandAdm Thrawn 8 Mar 2009 19:34

7 weeks is a tad too short esp. for developing politics, 10 weeks too long time to stay focused on game, so I voted for 8 weeks.

Demort 8 Mar 2009 19:34

7 or 8 weeks is long enough i guess

csillag 8 Mar 2009 19:36

yarr, and peeps used to get lazy in last 2 weeks of the 7 weeks rds previously...

M0RPH3US 8 Mar 2009 19:42

better 10 then 9 weeks

apolo 8 Mar 2009 19:53

10 weeks with rollback should be +/- 8 weeks. In my opinion to be 7 weeks somethings should be faster like resourse and travel.

apolo 8 Mar 2009 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by apolo (Post 3166544)
10 weeks with rollback should be +/- 8 weeks. In my opinion to be 7 weeks somethings should be faster like resourse and travel.

Veedeejem! 8 Mar 2009 20:27

10 weeks, makes the game more interesting imo.

Death666 8 Mar 2009 21:20

i say 7 weeks although 8 weeks is also good enough

_Kila_ 8 Mar 2009 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3166526)
The longer the game goes, the more skill starts outweighing numbers. As such, I am a proponent of 10 week rounds.

This

jules 8 Mar 2009 21:45

7 weeks is long enough for PA

DigitalZero 8 Mar 2009 21:46

if the round length goes below 8 weeks I won't play. Longer rounds = more fun. more choices.

snaga 8 Mar 2009 21:47

The longer the better. 10-12 weeks is ideall in my eyes, then people can develope, alliances fight over positions and stuff happening.

Say a 6 week round and someon gets fleetcatched without def after 4 weeks and fleets dies, gg round is over.

Kargool 8 Mar 2009 22:21

Definatly 10 weeks.

ATRO 8 Mar 2009 22:37

I haven't played for a good while but am toying with the idea of coming back, if so the longer the round the better in my opinion. I voted 10 weeks.

Heartless 8 Mar 2009 23:17

I guess Fubra is trying to figure out what their current customers would prefer and try to design the game more into the direction of the player's preferences.

But just in case I am wrong on that one I voted for 9 or 10 weeks, because otherwise the game mechanics do not really play out all their aspects.

lokken 8 Mar 2009 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by zPeti (Post 3166503)
Hello everyone,

I have been discussing future round lengths with the PA team. I would like players' input as well.

Please could you vote in the poll in how long your ideal round length is.

Thanks,
Pete

I think for a regular round 7 weeks is sufficient. However, once in a while (one in every 3 or 4 rounds) you should consider letting a 10 week round play out. The reason for this is because the politics/war/value aspect is greatly enhanced and actually encourages more competition in game. This round has been excellent because of its length. However, I don't think we could manage so many rounds in a row at this intensity of play. But people still probably want it to happen once in a while.

So my answer is 'both'.

Flying_So-Low 9 Mar 2009 00:52

I agree with Lokken there, alternating round lengths would be ideal. Shorter rounds would make research/construction choices more critical. I agree with longer rounds about alliance politics, but from a simple player perspective 10 weeks is a long time to stay interested.

JonnyBGood 9 Mar 2009 02:25

I think 10 weeks is great for this round as so much has/is happening. Ten weeks last round or the one before that would have probably caused me to consider killing myself and I would have been on the winning side. I think it'd be nice if we could have ten week rounds with some sort of option for ending sooner if the ranks get fairly conclusively decided. I voted for 8 weeks though, always thought 7 was a bit short in general.

CBA 9 Mar 2009 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3166566)
I think 10 weeks is great for this round as so much has/is happening. Ten weeks last round or the one before that would have probably caused me to consider killing myself and I would have been on the winning side. I think it'd be nice if we could have ten week rounds with some sort of option for ending sooner if the ranks get fairly conclusively decided. I voted for 8 weeks though, always thought 7 was a bit short in general.

Thats rediculous JBG. You cant even say stuff like that, its politically incorrect! You cant decide on roundtime then halfway through cut it because your alliance is not doing as well as it should/could have. On the other hand 7 is too short, i voted for 7 because it seems like its a battle between 7 and 10 but 8 would be ideal I think. 2 months plenty of time for slepe deprivation and lack of social time..

JonnyBGood 9 Mar 2009 03:49

You misunderstand. Sometimes the round is quite clearly over and pretty much everyone would acknowledge it. Other times it isn't. I'd like for recognition to be made of the first.

CBA 9 Mar 2009 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3166569)
You misunderstand. Sometimes the round is quite clearly over and pretty much everyone would acknowledge it. Other times it isn't. I'd like for recognition to be made of the first.

I think you may be misunderstanding, this round could quite easily been classed as over by now, if ascendancy were not taken down hard, early on, Ascendancy could has won, like last round. Last round was only bad at the end because the alliances who were not actively hitting the top alliance, ascendancy, near the end were playing for the 7week round and going for rank #2,#3. As long as people play smart and actually think, then if one alliance dominates, they should just be backed down. In pa an alliance can never get too far ahead where it cant get whacked down a notch with competant coordination. I admit last round, lots of alliances :failed: but changing a roundlength when the game stagnates its just wrong. Now is good because HC's are playing politics right, If only this happend every round i guess.

JonnyBGood 9 Mar 2009 04:33

Quote:

In pa an alliance can never get too far ahead where it cant get whacked down a notch with competant coordination.
This just isn't true. There are a number of rounds where an alliance has been retardedly dominant. R28, 18, 14, 11, 23, none of those could have turned out any differently if the round had lasted for a ****ing year longer unless the #1 alliance actually decided to split up.

I mean, I'm not saying that we should end rounds early all the time or that it'd be a common occurance. If ten week rounds are the given then alliances will continue to play to the end given your reasoning. My point is that if they don't why not end the round early?