Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I quit my job! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193716)

pig 2 Feb 2007 16:47

I quit my job!

Ye, well it was going no where. Dont get me wrong the job was ok. Good eye candy, pretty decent colleagues and probably the easiest job I will ever get to do (infact I don't know an easier job).

However it was a temporary job, thus the money was bad (£6 p/h). There were no career prospects and it frustrated me sitting there and seeing all the problems yet no one would listen/care about my ideas for the solutions. Eventually my brain started to rot, it wasn't being stimulated enough as the job simply wasn't challenging.

It was also supposed to be temporary in the sense that I find a real job, a graduate job. However I had applied to a few (not nearly enough of course) and I hadn't been lucky enough to beat off the competition and gain a graduate job.

I had been there for 6 months and it's one of those things, I could stay there for a further 6 months and not blink. But I needed to do something so I quit.

Instead come Monday I start a NCTJ course (Journalsim Qualification). This course is a fast track so it's done in 18 weeks as oppose to the full year, I learn shorthand and all those jazzy things journalists need. What attracted me to the course was that they get you work experience (or at least help you get work experience). At places such as the BBC, Express & Star, Birmingham Mail.

I have two main interests Politics and Sport. I hope that I can combine the two and after some training get a job within journalism, starting off as a lowly trainee at a local paper, but eventually working my way up.

It's a risk, but f*ck it. He who dares, wins? Right?

Oh the course also costs £1050, so I am well broke. But oh it will be a fun time!

Anyone else done anything last minute and it's worked out?*

* Last time I did something crazy and unplanned was when I decided to go travelling for 6 weeks around Europe and North Africa, that worked out well!

`mac^ 2 Feb 2007 17:04

Re: I quit my job!

I was 10 minutes away from being stuck in a dead end job making cars at Nissan. Luckily for me I got a call for an interview at an accountants. To cut a long story short, I got the job and they are paying the fees for my qualification. I suppose I'm just a lucky person really!
Goodluck with the journalisn thing.

pig 2 Feb 2007 17:05

I once got told I have too much personality to be an accountant!

`mac^ 2 Feb 2007 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
I once got told I have too much personality to be an accountant!

It's not as dull as people make out. Just stressful.

Oh and the wage is crap when training.

jt25man 2 Feb 2007 20:09

Good for you Pig, congrats on the quitting your job. Did you at least insult your boss, or screw his hot 18 year old daughter, etc.?

Mighteh 2 Feb 2007 21:16

\o/ pig youre my hero...

on behalf of all the people working a deadend job, namely me, pushing around papers from one side of the table to another, i :salute: you !

im getting there too :/
(at least i have 24/7 internet access... might not get that on my next job...)

and u put me 1 step cloesr to quitting this hole :D

good luck in your self-searching too :)

dda 2 Feb 2007 21:39

I can't really contribute to this discussion as I was always lucky enough, in my youth, to piss everyone off at the dead end jobs I had so that they eventually got around to firing me. When I became an attorney I found that the ability to piss people off was an asset. Sometimes you just catch a break.

Good luck!

KoeN 2 Feb 2007 21:53

sounds good pig! goodluck with it all! :)

lokken 2 Feb 2007 22:09

I can't get a decent job anywhere :O

Little Timmy 2 Feb 2007 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
I can't get a decent job anywhere :O

helps to apply for some :D

Dante Hicks 3 Feb 2007 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
There were no career prospects and it frustrated me sitting there and seeing all the problems yet no one would listen/care about my ideas for the solutions.

You were right to quit. There's plenty of places who will listen so there's no point squandering your efforts and energies on the ones that won't.
Quote:

It was also supposed to be temporary in the sense that I find a real job, a graduate job. However I had applied to a few (not nearly enough of course) and I hadn't been lucky enough to beat off the competition and gain a graduate job.
I was in the same boat when I finished Uni and as a result spent a while doing shit jobs. The lowest point was when I applied for a peon job at Ryman's the Stationers...and failed to get an interview. :( :(

T&F was the same from what I can remember. (he worked in William Hill for a while) Eventually it sorted itself out though and ultimately it doesn't really seem to matter that much if you don't leap into the career you want. A friend of mine only started on an engineering graduate scheme at 25. Yeah, he's slightly older than the other people on the same scheme but so what?

Although on a vaguely related note I am still bemused every year when they start talking about the average starting salary for graduates being some wildly optimistic figure. Makes you wonder what some are getting to distort the figures so wildly.

Mistwraith 3 Feb 2007 23:09

If its possible ..

ie: your young, dont have a mortgage or rent to pay, still live with the parental factor/s, have loans or cars to pay off.

GO FOR IT, you only get one life ... go takes some risks and live it to the full, well done Pig !

Blastoderm 5 Feb 2007 00:27

Congrats.... I think.

roadrunner_0 5 Feb 2007 02:30

well done for being in a position where you can quit your job.

give it a few yesrs and you will suddenly realise that you are a alave to the wage, and you will like ti. Why? because it will let you stay in the style in whitch you accustomed

Boogster 6 Feb 2007 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Although on a vaguely related note I am still bemused every year when they start talking about the average starting salary for graduates being some wildly optimistic figure. Makes you wonder what some are getting to distort the figures so wildly.

I always had a vague notion that those figures only applied to those that got jobs as part of a graduate scheme or some such.

Good luck with it all Pig. It sounds like a good move.

As for me, I graduated in June, moved to Manchester on a whim in October, and quit my horrific admin job last week before I commited the act of self-harm with a stapler and a few spare paperclips. I'm now sponging off my dad, and preoccupied with silly tendentious arguments about ethics. Tomorrow I have to dress up as Mr Beaver from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in front of a class of 10 year olds. It's all for the PGCE, folks. Such is the life of your resident scapegoat, English graduate, failed poet and frustrated romantic.

All Systems Go 7 Feb 2007 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogster
Tomorrow I have to dress up as Mr Beaver from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in front of a class of 10 year olds. It's all for the PGCE, folks. Such is the life of your resident scapegoat, English graduate, failed poet and frustrated romantic.

Please tell me you have that on film.