Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's no longer just Father (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194502)

Tietäjä 20 May 2007 09:18

It's no longer just Father

The Germans have done it.

It's no longer just Father, but "Father, Mother, in heaven". The Germans have spent a couple of hundred thousand euros in an attempt to generate a Bible that ethically corresponds to today's values. There's supposed to be no sexual discrimination (although I'd like to know if there's a part refering to Gay Pride -parades there - probably not), and all is supposed to be candy candy equal equal. I think this means that the Deuteronomy parts where people are being stoned to death have been removed. So the bottom line about man being the head of the family has now been succesfully rooted out from the Bible too, and I guess the next step towards a matriarchal society order is where the Swiss (?) will make a version of the Bible where the woman is the head of the family. Oh, that was an useless rant.

It's amusing how the Christianity as a religious institution is so amorphous. I guess if we were living the 15th century, the inquisition would soon come knocing the German doords regarding this very strange bit of the Bible they've managed to generate. I mean, what's the point in a set of holy texts (supposingly the ultimate truth about everything) when you go alter them more and more (yeah, I'm aware it's been done before, or at least argued so, but this really breaks the barrier)? I can't come up with many other widespread religions that'd have as their sole purpose of today to please the public, and mutilate their beliefs and dogma so that it suits the current popular ethical swing of the community. But I guess that's what Christianity does what's necessary to continue excist - pisses on their beliefs.

Even as an atheist, I feel like saying dear God, but I'm not sure if I'm nowadays supposed to say dear God/Goddess.

I seem to have a lot on my mind today. Or then I've just become a news trolley.

Opi 20 May 2007 10:02

Re: It's no longer just Father

It seems just to be some new translation of the bible, not really that different to what Luther has done. I think it is necessary to adapt the text (or at least the interpretation of it) to modern times otherwise it becomes harder for people to see the point of it.

I'd like to know how the Torah has changed over time. Is it still close to the original?

Tietäjä 20 May 2007 10:17

It is different, actually. They say they've made it so that it's in terms of modern equality. The chief prayer no longer starts with "Father in heaven", but "Father, Mother in heaven". So there's a lot of adding going on, and probably equally much removing. You could fairly well call it a new edition instead of a new translation.

jupp 20 May 2007 10:19

oh yea ze germans ...

i ordered already 10 of it - i hope they arrive on monday so i can give them to my family and friends ASAP! but i guess they already have it since they are germans too :-|

Hebdomad 20 May 2007 17:57

I hope this version comes with pictures.

All Systems Go 20 May 2007 18:03

God as an haemaphrodite? Rather!

Nodrog 20 May 2007 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opi
I'd like to know how the Torah has changed over time. Is it still close to the original?

Why would it have changed?

Quote:

I think it is necessary to adapt the text (or at least the interpretation of it) to modern times
What does this mean?

Tietäjä 20 May 2007 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
What does this mean?

I think he's trying to say Moses got it all wrong when the God originally spoke to him, or, that, God has changed his/her/it's(?) mind and wants a revamped version now that things have "cooled off" and premarital sex and gayness are "okay".

Opi 21 May 2007 00:20

Sort of, yes. In my opinion the bible should try to get the basic idea of christian believe across. This doesn't work too great with the ancient texts, because there are many irrelevant, boring or confusing (for today's audience) things in there. So I think christianity should either get a new "rulebook" or change the existing one.

Tietäjä 21 May 2007 05:02

Basic Christian idea? Whatever happened to the divine truths of the Bible.

ps. Is it just me, or has the basic Christian idea undergone lots of changes during the last dozen centuries?

Phang 21 May 2007 06:16

It's really quite a happy situation that the New International Bible was written exactly as it is seen now, and every book in it was written and collated within a few short months of the events they depict. Otherwise people might start suggesting that the Bible represents a set of interpretations and metaphors, edited a number of times to give relatable guidance to the era and society which is held subject to it.

Yahwe 21 May 2007 07:55

Quote:

Why would it have changed?

because it was originally oral tradition only latterly documented - hence the need for gemarra and talmud?

Nodrog 21 May 2007 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
because it was originally oral tradition only latterly documented - hence the need for gemarra and talmud?

But the Torah itself hasnt changed.

Yahwe 21 May 2007 19:48

Quote:

But the Torah itself hasnt changed.

that's an interesting ascertion, which, despite being uprovable either way highlights your fundamental ignorance of the subject matter

Travler 22 May 2007 04:22

Speaking of ignorance I heard that originally Eve was not a rib but was made from the forskin of Adam according to an early translation. Flesh of my Flesh indeed.

Tietäjä 22 May 2007 04:59

That'd go one to one with the jewish habits regarding cirumstancions. Or however you type the operation where they clip.