Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aliens! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192603)

qebab 7 Oct 2006 16:06

Aliens!

Assuming aliens exist, and they are advanced to a similar level as ours.

They are carbonbased lifeforms, so they need to eat/drink similar to us.

How much do you think our cultures would have in common? Would aliens play football, work out, and drink beer? Or shit brooding on the domination of the universe all the time? Would they listen to music, watch movies? Or maybe they don't hear, or detect other spectres of electromagnetic radiation?

Or maybe they're just silly, and they go stomp each other with chairs all day long (if they sit like us), and maybe they even have crime problems.

This is meant to be a fun thread, so please share your creativity.

jt25man 7 Oct 2006 19:09

Re: Aliens!

You forgot to mention, do you think they reproduce such as our species, and if so could we cross breed with them. Also, do you think they have mosquitos?

Cannon_Fodder 7 Oct 2006 19:22

They could be silicon based I think, which would make them much different to us.

I doubt you could cross breed with them, we can't with other species on earth for example.

Maladoni 7 Oct 2006 20:30

Didn't we send them all to Australia?

MrL_JaKiri 7 Oct 2006 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
They could be silicon based I think

Whilst some types of life use silicon based reactions, the range of reactions which silicon can undergo is so much smaller than that of carbon that silicon-based life could not create anything with a complexity similar to that we see of this planet's carbon-based life. For example, silicon cannot create six (or more) membered rings in the way that carbon can. Silicon cannot create long chain molecules, whereas carbon can. Silicon cannot easily bond using its pi orbitals, meaning that it cannot have double and triple bonds in the way that carbon can.

There are, of course, additional, yet more specific and in cases trivial, objections to it, such as the lack of an analogy to the carbon cycle (the one in plants/whathaveyou, not the theorised method of fusion).

Stoom 8 Oct 2006 03:08

While all this silicons jibberish is way out of my league, I'm pretty sure aliens would be quite similar, with all the wars and religions and such. Apart from maybe a few external differences, they'll be the same ****ed up beings we are.

Proxi 8 Oct 2006 03:27

Not if they were working under some sort of hive mind influence. I actually read a book recently which showed an excellent form of a hive mind alien. (Pandora's Star, concluded in Judas Unchained if anyone likes a really really really good space opera). The author described the invading aliens in a hive mind mentality, where survival was the only thing that motivated the entire civilisation. I personally found that a stimulating read. And slightly relevant o/

pyirt 8 Oct 2006 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maladoni

Ultimate Newbie 8 Oct 2006 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maladoni

And we're all the better for it! :p

Malice 8 Oct 2006 23:03

I've always found romance in the idea that if there is such a thing as alien life, it will be a bio-technology...such as a spacefaring bacteria or spore. Seeds if you will. Much easier to broadcast than, let's say, a fleet of ships.

dda 9 Oct 2006 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by qebab
Or sit brooding on the domination of the universe all the time?

If they are at all like us then they would not be thinking of dominating the universe until they discovered another life form against whom they could compete. If we run into another carbon-based life form, those f***ers had better watch out!"

Quote:

Would they listen to music?

Where do you think rap and hip hop come from if not from some alien life form?

Stoom 9 Oct 2006 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
What basis do you have for this hypothesis?

It would just be the most obvious way, more obvious then a world at peace atleast (imo).

MrL_JaKiri 9 Oct 2006 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoom
It would just be the most obvious way, more obvious then a world at peace atleast (imo).

False dichotomy.

Stoom 9 Oct 2006 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
False dichotomy.

Fair enough, yet I just expressed my thoughts about it, as asked in the starting post. Although I don't have any arguments, wouldn't you think it is more likely?

MrL_JaKiri 9 Oct 2006 23:22

Quote:

Fair enough, yet I just expressed my thoughts about it, as asked in the starting post. Although I don't have any arguments, wouldn't you think it is more likely?

I don't know. There are a large number of things in human society which are either artifacts of cultural chance or some specific event in evolution. The large number of differences even between human societies makes it somewhat difficult to guess what a totally alien, intelligent, species would be like.

Stoom 9 Oct 2006 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't know. There are a large number of things in human society which are either artifacts of cultural chance or some specific event in evolution. The large number of differences even between human societies makes it somewhat difficult to guess what a totally alien, intelligent, species would be like.

True, but all those cultures have one thing in common, the urge for survival and/or conquest. Which is the main reason why I presume it's similar to races in the universe.

Stoom 9 Oct 2006 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
True, though sadly there's not much evidence of you thinking about it to any great degree, but thanks for your time.

Quote:

This is meant to be a fun thread, so please share your creativity.

Please share your views then if you don't want me posting here...

Travler 11 Oct 2006 06:11

Aliens may also have some form(s) of religeon.

Depending on how similar or different their planet is they may be able to see different parts of the light spectrum. We could blind them with our IR remote controls.

If their gravity is greater than ours they could be much stronger than us.

They may be able to breathe in water.

Something really spicy(HOT) to us might be like salt to them.

They could be allergic to sugar.

They could have eyes like a cat.

Their genitals could be on their fingers.

They could be cloned.

They could have any variety of genetic enhancements.

They could have tails or horns.

They may play sports we never imagined.

Their "beer" could taste like chocolate but be 10 times more alcholic than whiskey.

They could use their own bodies as musical instruments.

Squidly 11 Oct 2006 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travler
Their "beer" could taste like chocolate but be 10 times more alcholic than whiskey.

This alone makes me hope there is life out there.

jt25man 11 Oct 2006 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travler
Aliens may also have some form(s) of religeon.

Here's a real thumper for you, what if the aliens have the same religion as we do.
Quote:

If their gravity is greater than ours they could be much stronger than us.
Speak for yourself.
Quote:

They may be able to breathe in water.
We have inventions allowing us to do this also.
Quote:

Something really spicy(HOT) to us might be like salt to them.
Or are salt could be really spicy(HOT) to them.
Quote:

They could be allergic to sugar.
Going back to the whole carbon based life forms theory, sugar is essentially made up of different carbon molecules, so it's highly improbable they would be.
Quote:

They could have eyes like a cat.
Or color-blind like dogs.
Quote:

Their genitals could be on their fingers.
Don't be giving any ideas to Michael Jackson.
Quote:

They could be cloned.
See previous response.
Quote:

They could have any variety of genetic enhancements.
Or failed attempts, again Michael Jackson.
Quote:

They could have tails or horns.
Wonder if they involuntarilly wag there tails when they're excited.
Quote:

They may play sports we never imagined.
Or they could have two sports in different countries with the same name and bicker over which one is better.
Quote:

I'm sure half of the people who read this forum, or play the game are thinking they want to try to achieve this on there own.
Quote:

They could use their own bodies as musical instruments.
We can do that too, it's called whistling. There's also armpit farting, but does that really qualify as music...

Deepflow 11 Oct 2006 10:21

Quote:

True, but all those cultures have one thing in common, the urge for survival and/or conquest.

You mean like all life?

Travler 11 Oct 2006 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt25man
Going back to the whole carbon based life forms theory, sugar is essentially made up of different carbon molecules, so it's highly improbable they would be.

So true. There have been less than 10 people worldwide known to have been allergic to sugar. My wife said her father was one of these people and he had to be extremely careful with everything he ate. He could handle some carbohydrates but others would make him react. He could not eat straight sugar in any form such as fruit juice or sugar cane granules. Odds of being allergic to sugar are about 714,285,714 to 1.