Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Over-tired! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=191661)

PSH 18 Jul 2006 22:30

Over-tired!

I am engaged in a heated debate over the bloody Vauxhall adverts with the fat kids acting like adults, do the kids say "Overtired" or "Ohh they're tired" at the end?

I am in the overtired camp BTW.

furball 18 Jul 2006 22:37

Re: Over-tired!

Ohh they're tired. Clearly.

Game^ 18 Jul 2006 22:37

Overtired IIRC

Tomkat 18 Jul 2006 22:37

I thought it was "overtired" actually.

I can't say I'd ever really thought of it though.

Something I WAS wondering about was how they do the Strongbow advert with the two arrows shooting at the same point. Do they use some sort of mechanised bow or is it computer generated?

Raging.Retard 18 Jul 2006 22:58

"Ohh they're tired".

Why would you say "overtired", I've never heard of that expression.

SYMM 18 Jul 2006 23:05

It's quite common when referring to children.

A quick google brings up numerous discussions, with both options receiving similar numbers of supporters.

Given the role-reversal, I'd be tempted to go with 'overtired'.

furball 18 Jul 2006 23:10

Overtired isn't even a word!

In context: the parents start arguing as the children watch on.

Would you say "overtired" (no you wouldn't, they're just tired - how can you be overtired??) or "ohh, they're tired".

It's just common sense dudes.

PSH 18 Jul 2006 23:13

I have heard overtired used by parent when their kids get a bit moany/agitated many times and since the kids in the advert are taking on the adult role I can see why they would use the phrase.

Demon Dave 18 Jul 2006 23:29

are you a member of the GameFAQs UK board by any chance PSH?

Also I'm going with "ooooh they're tired", because it seems the most logical thing for them to say. Although it does sound a bit like there's a "v" sound, it could just be the northan accent.

Deffeh 18 Jul 2006 23:30

its overtired, there is no debate.

Apart from whether it would be better to kill the children fast, or torture them for annoying me so ****ing much.

PSH 18 Jul 2006 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Dave
are you a member of the GameFAQs UK board by any chance PSH?

No but I am aware this debate is widespread at the moment.

Phang 18 Jul 2006 23:50

oh they're tired

1-X 18 Jul 2006 23:59

I never thought it could be anything other than overtired. It fits with the mom being short-tempered.

(shut up Demon Dave)

Nondescript Human 19 Jul 2006 00:16

"Ohh they're tired", obviously.

Obliterate 19 Jul 2006 00:23

It's pretty obviously "overtired". I've never really considered it could be anything else, although I tend to switch over when that advert comes on now because I hate it so much.

Phang 19 Jul 2006 00:37

subtitles say "Oh, they're tired" and the pausing is Oh pause they're/-ver tired

Demon Dave 19 Jul 2006 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-X
I never thought it could be anything other than overtired. It fits with the mom being short-tempered.

(shut up Demon Dave)

In the words of Mr.T "Don't make me mad grrrrr"

milo 19 Jul 2006 00:50

i hate those ads as much as the frosties ones and they really make me despise all children

pablissimo 19 Jul 2006 01:29

If you think it's anything other than 'Oh, they're tired' you're some kind of can't-be-arsed-listening-to-the-advert-in-the-context moron

Deffeh 19 Jul 2006 01:54

its "overtired", nothing else would make sense. "oh theyre tired" wouldnt make any sense in the context of the advert.

They are saying "overtired" and nodding patronisingly because theyve tired themselves out and theyre clumsy and making silly mistakes now.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Here you go, i put "overtired" into google, and what did i find?

This isnt a debate

Deffeh 19 Jul 2006 01:58

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Adver...ion138297.html

OH NO HE DIDNT!

Game^ 19 Jul 2006 07:46

I love being right

Deepflow 19 Jul 2006 09:26

it's definitely "oh, they're tired". The alternative doesn't even make sense.

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 10:17

Wars have been started over less.

pablissimo 19 Jul 2006 11:13

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for it to be 'overtired', how are you people not seeing this. There's a ****ing pause between the 'oh' and the 'they're tired' suggesting some kind of comma.

WHERE IS THE COMMA IN THE WORD 'OVERTIRED'

Jesus ****ing Christ.

milo 19 Jul 2006 11:42

have to agree with overtired not making sense

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 11:50

What the **** does overtired mean anyways? It's not even in the ****ing dictionary. Can people please stop ****ing making up words.

Tomkat 19 Jul 2006 11:57

I'll need to see the advert before I can be converted to the "Ohh, they're tired" camp.

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I'll need to see the advert before I can be converted to the "Ohh, they're tired" camp.

Well the kids actually really say "overtired" as you can find out if you follow deffeh's link. My complaint is that this isn't an actual word, never mind an entire sentence.

pablissimo 19 Jul 2006 12:04

It's making me angry JBG. PARTITION THE FORUMS INTO TWO CAMPS AND LET THE HOLIEST OF WARS COMMENCE.

Tomkat 19 Jul 2006 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Well the kids actually really say "overtired" as you can find out if you follow deffeh's link. My complaint is that this isn't an actual word, never mind an entire sentence.

If enough people watch the advert and believe it's a word, then it becomes a word!

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
If enough people watch the advert and believe it's a word, then it becomes a word!

Yeah but people aren't believing it's a word so technically we're going to have to go off and kill the director for his blasphemy. Rationalists of the world unite, we have nothing to lose but the idiots!

milo 19 Jul 2006 12:11

what possible function/event could the word 'overtired' describe??!!? its meaningless, its as pointful as saying someone is oversad.

Cooling 19 Jul 2006 12:14

Look, pointful is not a ****ing word either

You can't have it both ways... you can't take the high horse and then claim the low road.

PSH 19 Jul 2006 12:15

Parents use it for toddlers when they have gone through the stage of nodding off but have been unable to sleep for one reason or another and turn into little bastards.

All Systems Go 19 Jul 2006 12:16

Whilst I believe the phrase 'oh, they're tired' is used in the advert overtired does make sense.

I believe it's used by parents to describe when a child is extreemely tired and as a result the child behaviour is effected in a negative way. Overtiredness (another new word, go me!) results in excessivly grumpy behaviour and increased irritability. this is demonstrated in the advert, although the reason for moaning is perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.

Proteus 19 Jul 2006 12:16

You can watch it here, by the way.

And anyone who thinks it's "overtired" (including fictional Vauxhall customer service staff in fabricated e-mails) is an idiot.

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH
they have gone through the stage of nodding off but have been unable to sleep for one reason

What? I don't know about you but where I come from "nodding off" means "going to sleep". You can't nod off without going to sleep. Surely you just mean "tired"?

PSH 19 Jul 2006 12:20

Quote:

What? I don't know about you but where I come from "nodding off" means "going to sleep". You can't nod off without going to sleep. Surely you just mean "tired"?

Nodding off is not nodded off where I come from.

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH
Nodding off is not nodded off where I come from.

Ah so you mean they're tired but haven't gone to sleep? So "tired".

PSH 19 Jul 2006 12:23

Quote:

Ah so you mean they're tired but haven't gone to sleep? So "tired".

And because they have been unable to sleep when they are tired they become overtired.

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH
And because they have been unable to sleep when they are tired they become overtired.

No, they become very tired, really tired, excessively tired, extremely tired, spectacularly tired, unbelievably tired, unrealistically tired, unimag.....

WE HAVE ADJECTIVES PRECISELY SO WE DON'T HAVE TO INVENT NEW NOUNS EVERY TEN SECONDS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET IT ALL END :(

PSH 19 Jul 2006 12:30

I didn't invent the saying, I'm merely pointing out what it's used for.

Anyway, is there a god?

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH
I didn't invent the saying, I'm merely pointing out what it's used for.

Anyway, is there a god?

If there isn't then maybe that explains why loving him feels so wrong :(

Tomkat 19 Jul 2006 13:09

After watching the advert I still don't know :(

The thing is, they say it at the same time. You usally only say things alongside someone else if it's one-word. Not a whole phrase. Which is why most people think it's "overtired", I guess.

gzambo 19 Jul 2006 13:55

think its "overtired"

roadrunner_0 19 Jul 2006 13:59

its not overtired, if it was overtired the ****ing line would be 'they're overtired, NOT just 'overtired' what kind of retarded ad agency would write something so spasticated, the line is 'oh, they're tired'

1-X 19 Jul 2006 14:01

Those who discount the possibility of overtired simply because it's a word that's never reached their little ears before...

If you google the word, and see the 286000 returns, you quite clearly see from the descriptions that it has common usage in baby/child related issues.

Just because you don't think it should be a word doesn't mean that's not what they say in the ad.

Ste 19 Jul 2006 14:22

BLATENTLY overtired.
And from Deffeh's link:

Quote:

Hi all! It was me that originally posted this question and I have recieved the answer from Vauxhall themselves:

Dear Mr ****,

Thank you for your e-mail received by this office on 5 September 2005,
regarding the recent Vauxhall Zafira TV advert.

As requested, I can confirm the last word in the advert is 'over tired'. I
trust this resolves your query, however, should you require any further
information, please do not hesitate to contact us again on 01582 427200, or
by return e-mail.

Thank you again for contacting us and allowing me the opportunity to
comment.

Yours sincerely

Rob John
Customer Care Team

JonnyBGood 19 Jul 2006 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-X
Just because you don't think it should be a word doesn't mean that's not what they say in the ad.

No dude I was going on it not being in the dictionary.