Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   World of Warcraft Southpark episode (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192579)

SilverSmoke 5 Oct 2006 22:40

World of Warcraft Southpark episode

http://www.southparkzone.com/season10.php

I guess most wow players on GD have already seen it but for who didn't, here it is.

****ing hilarious as they seem to know a lot about the game and community :D

_Kila_ 5 Oct 2006 22:54

Re: World of Warcraft Southpark episode

Idd, its really funny, but I think the story could be a bit better than the "uber high level who kills admins" etc, like them endlessly grinding to take down some boss etc and then farming them and gearing up for the next boss and rinseing + repeating (we all know that WoW is an endless grind)

jt25man 5 Oct 2006 22:58

On the mid-season finale of Stargate Atlantis they had Dr. Weir talking to Dr. Lee about WoW to stall him, and he said he was a lvl 75 Mage. I was like, come on all the effort they put in this show and they couldn't even research the game enough to know the highest level is 60.

Ste 5 Oct 2006 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt25man
On the mid-season finale of Stargate Atlantis they had Dr. Weir talking to Dr. Lee about WoW to stall him, and he said he was a lvl 75 Mage. I was like, come on all the effort they put in this show and they couldn't even research the game enough to know the highest level is 60.

dude - I'm sure there will be a WOW add-on in the next 200 years or whatever that allows you to go past lvl60 :rolleyes:

Tomkat 5 Oct 2006 23:21

I didn't think it was that funny, actually.

Most of the jokes about WoW geeks and their obsession have been done better on various parodies/comics/videos on the net.

The only good jokes were the ones that were based around South Park characters - like when Butters turned up in the game with the same skin as Cartman.

jt25man 5 Oct 2006 23:25

I did like Kyle as the Female character.

Marv 5 Oct 2006 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
dude - I'm sure there will be a WOW add-on in the next 200 years or whatever that allows you to go past lvl60 :rolleyes:

Just to be a geek. The expansion coming out in a couple of months raises the level cap to 70.

:rolleyes:

Furious 6 Oct 2006 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv
Just to be a geek. The expansion coming out in a couple of months raises the level cap to 70.

:rolleyes:

geek.

JammyJim 6 Oct 2006 00:14

I loved it. And by love i mean it made me laugh harder than i have laughed at sp in a fair while.

Alessio 6 Oct 2006 00:19

How do you kill that which has no life?!

Malice 6 Oct 2006 02:14

Paper dolls have never been so damn cool.

djbass 6 Oct 2006 05:26

I enjoyed it as well.

Like you say though for a southpark episode elements of it were a little lack luster and it felt almost like a day-in day-out recount of the average WoW session lol. Now.. if the invincible dude had been say maybe a shammy it would have been more believable :P

jt25man 6 Oct 2006 06:17

I thought it would've been a little more interesting if you find out at the end it was Butters or one of the other kids.

Thefoundation 6 Oct 2006 06:44

Enjoyed it, Ace :)

Hicks 6 Oct 2006 14:38

It made me remember why I quit WoW :)

SilverSmoke 6 Oct 2006 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
It made me remember why I quit WoW :)

I'm still playing, since about 1,5 year but I'm not a poopsocker like a lot of people around me. That's probably why I still feel like a noob or actually am a noob heh. Some weeks ago I reached 60 for the first time with my priest :P

KoeN 6 Oct 2006 16:15

i never started playing WoW because it seems dull. this is pretty ace though.

nice one ss! :up:

Dace 6 Oct 2006 16:39

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooooooooooooooooooy Jenkins!

Leshy 6 Oct 2006 18:51

CHUCK NORRIS FTW LOL

The episode was alright, Stan's dad was pretty hilarious.

vampire_lestat 6 Oct 2006 20:42

this is by far the best series of south park, or perhaps any cartoon of its sort. Just a shame i can't get a hold of the "propper" uncensored second half of cartoon wars.

Leshy 6 Oct 2006 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
this is by far the best series of south park, or perhaps any cartoon of its sort. Just a shame i can't get a hold of the "propper" uncensored second half of cartoon wars.

I don't know, South Park has gone downhill over the past few seasons. Whereas the first few seasons were really fresh at the time and rather hilarious, the past few have been a little 'meh' and I stopped watching at some point.

The WoW episode was alright, but nowhere near as good as some of the stuff from the first few seasons; I wouldn't say that Season 10 is suddenly the best season ever based on a single episode, especially when it was reasonably average.

MrL_JaKiri 6 Oct 2006 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leshy
I don't know, South Park has gone downhill over the past few seasons.

It's just a different kind of thing. It's turned into more of a topical satire show, than a straight comedy per se. I personally prefer it, other people (you for one) do not.

All Systems Go 7 Oct 2006 00:02

Quote:

I don't know, South Park has gone downhill over the past few seasons. Whereas the first few seasons were really fresh at the time and rather hilarious, the past few have been a little 'meh' and I stopped watching at some point.

The WoW episode was alright, but nowhere near as good as some of the stuff from the first few seasons; I wouldn't say that Season 10 is suddenly the best season ever based on a single episode, especially when it was reasonably average.

the first few seasons were shit. It didn't get good until about season 5. It was only when South Park gained a social conscience that it became something other than a crap show which got it audience from being offensive.

Since it gained a social conscience (and a purpose) it has become a great show. I am not attacking its beginnings because without it it would have been an irrelevance.

Leshy 7 Oct 2006 00:53

I don't actively dislike South Park now; I'll be one of the last to complain if an episode gets put on and I'd have to watch it, because it's still rather amusing.

The last season I watched, and which contained several really good episodes was in fact Season 8; I watched the first few episodes of Season 9, but then couldn't be bothered to keep watching as it didn't really seem that great anymore. I'm not sure why, it just seemed to turn into a "been there, done that" deal, as had several S8 episodes already been.

Cooling 7 Oct 2006 02:34

I thought the episode was rather ordinary, it certainly didn't have me rolling in the isles.

I suppose this is what they wanted me to think:

Quote:

Oh jesus this is the funniest episode ever! I must go out now and purchase WoW and play it for HOURS. It must be cool if the creators of Southpark were [thrown a large wad of money by Blizzard] to [blatantly market their product]. And while I'm at it I'll go buy several dozen energy drinks and a SONY monitor. Wow! Super!

SilverSmoke 7 Oct 2006 02:54

Actually the people behind Southpark aproached Blizzard to ask them if they could make an episode about WoW. They've been said to be gamers.

ChubbyChecker 7 Oct 2006 03:33

I thought it was pretty shit, probably the worst episode of the season so far.

MrL_JaKiri 7 Oct 2006 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooling
I suppose this is what they wanted me to think

In addition to what Silversmoke said, is showing something to be long, boring and conducive to health problems really much of an advertisment?

Sarina_Joy 7 Oct 2006 08:24

I thought it was reasonably funny. I'm not a particular Southpark fan, and if I wasn't a WoW player it would obviously not have been so amusing to me. I didn't think it was particularly taking the piss out of WoW players and in fact I thought it was quite affectionate toward the game, giving me the impression that the creators/writers play themselves.

Leshy 7 Oct 2006 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
giving me the impression that the creators/writers play themselves.

The manner in which Cartman was giving orders across the voice progream leads me to have little doubt that the South Park creators have done raids in WoW at some point.

Marv 7 Oct 2006 11:27

Quote:

CHUCK NORRIS FTW LOL

The episode was alright, Stan's dad was pretty hilarious.

PIE!

Tomkat 7 Oct 2006 14:18

Has anyone here who hasn't played WoW and knows relatively little about it watched the cartoon?

Everyone I've spoken to who's seen it has played WoW at some point. I'm just interested to see what people think of it who haven't experienced the game at all. (someone like yahwe, perhaps)

Ste 7 Oct 2006 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
Has anyone here who hasn't played WoW and knows relatively little about it watched the cartoon?

Everyone I've spoken to who's seen it has played WoW at some point. I'm just interested to see what people think of it who haven't experienced the game at all. (someone like yahwe, perhaps)

I've never played WoW or any other mmorpg so I'll let you know what I think when I get round to watching it.

_Kila_ 7 Oct 2006 15:10

They could have made it more WoW-like, instead of having an alliance guy wearing a plate helm stabbing other alliance players with a dagger.
They didn't even have any Chuck Norris jokes :(

Pilgrim 7 Oct 2006 15:22

thatw as probably the best south park episode ive seen and i hate south park

MrL_JaKiri 7 Oct 2006 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_
They could have made it more WoW-like, instead of having an alliance guy wearing a plate helm stabbing other alliance players with a dagger.

I don't think you really "got" it.

vampire_lestat 7 Oct 2006 18:09

i play guildwars, but i've never played world of warcraft. it seems that it translates well across to other mmorpgs.

Tactitus 7 Oct 2006 18:43

Quote:

I've never played WoW and I liked it (I rarely watch South Park either). I'm sure you could do the more-or-less same story about a lot of online games (like PA for example).

Alki 7 Oct 2006 20:41

ive never played WoW, and i did find it quite funny, not hilarious but it was very watchable

Shadow1980 8 Oct 2006 16:40

One of the most funny Southpark episodes ever :-) I've never played WoW, but have quite considerable MMORPG experience - it translates extremely well to other MMORPGS. I do feel they could have done more with the theme, but it was very good :)

furball 8 Oct 2006 16:59

Quote:

I've never played WoW, played Diablo II (which obviously has similar concepts) but only offline single-player.

I enjoyed it - it was a good laugh and it was amusing to watch Cartman command everyone and battle against the man with no life. You wouldn't want every episode to be like that (much like Buffy's Once More With Feeling singing episode) but it was a good episode.

KoeN 8 Oct 2006 19:20

Quote:

me.

and i enjoyed it. :)

Furious 8 Oct 2006 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoeN
me.

and i enjoyed it. :)

Same here, and ive not yet bucked up the courage to play WoW.

It almost convinced me to watch the rest of the season.

Deepflow 8 Oct 2006 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat

I'm reasonably sure that the censoring at the end was a joke, considering that they showed an image of the prophet mohammed in a south park episode a few seasons ago (sorry I can't remember which one :( )

_Kila_ 8 Oct 2006 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
Same here, and ive not yet bucked up the courage to play WoW.

You shouldn't get into it, its just an endless grind - you just keep killing monsters to get levels, and then at level 60 you just keep doing dungeons in order to gear up for the next dungeon, rinse and repeat.

MrL_JaKiri 8 Oct 2006 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_
You shouldn't get into it, its just an endless grind - you just keep killing monsters to get levels, and then at level 60 you just keep doing dungeons in order to gear up for the next dungeon, rinse and repeat.

Whilst there are people who view it just as a means to get better in-game gear, the game wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is if there wasn't some actual enjoyment to be had from playing it. Something like C'Thun, for example, is a fun fight.

_Kila_ 8 Oct 2006 23:48

True, there are some fun fights like Vaelstrasz is fun at first, so is Chromaggus (especially when one of his afflictions is time lapse) but it does get repetitive and boring - after some time you're just doing the same bosses over and over to get gear in order to help your progress in the next instance.

Yahwe 8 Oct 2006 23:50

I watched it for tom.

As a set piece of comedy I thought the episode was a bit 'lack-luster'. I confess that while i am aware of southpark I would not normally choose to watch it. I could not quite understand why there was so little 'in game' footage when the game was sop central to the plot (perhaps they presumed the audience was familiar with the game).

In all I think the plot failed because it tried to do too much. It tried to both look at the humorous and anthapological aspects of this 'second life' phenomina and also to crow bar in gags about computer 'nerds' in a generic sense. I think those two aims were far too conflicting and given there were only 20 odd minutes I don't think it achieved either.

Perhaps an analogy better expresses my meaning: it was like the sexually attractive geek. It would have pulled if it had committed to it's geekiness and not been ashamed. But the continual self deprecation made it unattractive.

MrL_JaKiri 8 Oct 2006 23:52

Chromaggus was never fun, the fight takes too long. Vael's still good though.

_Kila_ 9 Oct 2006 00:44

Chromaggus depends on your class, as a Paladin I found learning the encounter with Time Lapse very fun, I was with the hunters cleasing and healing them while throwing random heals to the raid, I loved the running in and out in time.
Other classes might find it boring though, but they get more fun at other bosses (Firemaw for example, and I nuking Vael with burning adrenaline would be fun)