Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you know what to do? (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=156722)

Jo 9 Jan 2003 23:18

Would you know what to do?

My friends dad found a man collapsed on the street yesterday. He administered mouth to mouth and heart massage and the guy came round a bit only to die minutes later. The ambulance man said possibly a heart attack.

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation or do you think adrenalin kicks in and all your nights of watching Casualty are remembered?

JammyJim 9 Jan 2003 23:19

maybe

but i dont watch casuality.

based on hollywood movies id know what to do!!!

acropolis 9 Jan 2003 23:26

Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:

Originally posted by Jo
My friends dad found a man collapsed on the street yesterday. He administered mouth to mouth and heart massage and the guy came round a bit only to die minutes later. The ambulance man said possibly a heart attack.

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation or do you think adrenalin kicks in and all your nights of watching Casualty are remembered?

I actually do know cpr and all that crap.

but when i'm walking somewhere, and i see a person unconscious on the street, i take the immediate action of lifting my leg extra high and stepping over.

reason being that people are always passing out drunk everywhere around here. you get used to it. if he was oldish and not breathing my course of action might be different.

Intervention 10 Jan 2003 00:27

I know CPR and all that. However, I was taught not to use it unless you were convinced that you could save the person's life - for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.

It's a sad world.

Jo 10 Jan 2003 00:32

Yup, he has to go and give some sort of statement as to the full sequence of events

Ainara 10 Jan 2003 00:44

I would bite him in the nuts...

treelo 10 Jan 2003 13:19

indeed i do.....
take his wallet, his shoes and any jewellery.....
perform cpr and tell him that someone has mugged him but they ran off....

Snurx 10 Jan 2003 17:44

I would have begun crying like a little girl.

Structural Integrity 10 Jan 2003 17:47

Re: Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:

Originally posted by acropolis
if he was oldish and not breathing my course of action might be different.
Steal his wallet and run off ?

Nusselt 10 Jan 2003 17:50

poor man,

he feels a terrible pain, cant breathe, ohgodoh**** this is itim having a fcking heart attack, periphal vision going, ohjesuschrist its going dark.

But wait, theres a light...a tunnel, a feeling of relaxation, everything is going to be ok.

fck the pain again...voises...eyes open bleary and unfocused.

FFS THERES A MAN KISSING ME.

WTF!!!

dead, gone, blackness, straight to hell.

roadrunner_0 10 Jan 2003 18:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Intervention
I know CPR and all that. However, I was taught not to use it unless you were convinced that you could save the person's life - for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.

It's a sad world.

yeah, i got told that as well :(

LastLaughingGuy 11 Jan 2003 23:04

i know ..bad place to get in contact, but if u are the right Jo ...please write me [email protected] ....lost icq+your number...

LLG

Gayle29uk 12 Jan 2003 00:21

I've had to do it for real, it's scarey :( At least I knew what to do though. Always remember your ABC :)

at0mic.c0w 12 Jan 2003 00:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Intervention
for fear of persecution if said person dies after a failed attempt at saving them.
what a fked country are u living in where this is possible ?

Gayle29uk 12 Jan 2003 00:36

Quote:

Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
what a fked country are u living in where this is possible ?
Assuming he means prosecution not persecution both the US and UK are potential danger zones :(

Sad but true.

Tactitus 12 Jan 2003 00:47

Quote:

Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Assuming he means prosecution not persecution both the US and UK are potential danger zones :(

Sad but true.

Sad maybe, but not true--at least, not in the US. Every state in the US has a "Good Samaritan" law which specifically excepts you from civil liability when helping someone in distress (and if you should somehow end up doing more harm than good). Anyone who's passed out unconscious on the sidewalk easily meets any legal definition of being "in distress."

This was the first thing they covered in CPR class when I took it.

at0mic.c0w 12 Jan 2003 01:30

Quote:

Originally posted by Tactitus
exactly

Gayle29uk 12 Jan 2003 01:38

Quote:

Originally posted by Tactitus
Sad maybe, but not true--at least, not in the US. Every state in the US has a "Good Samaritan" law which specifically excepts you from civil liability when helping someone in distress (and if you should somehow end up doing more harm than good). Anyone who's passed out unconscious on the sidewalk easily meets any legal definition of being "in distress."

I thought you could still end up getting hammered if you totally **** it up? Like breaking someone's ribs and puncturing a lung when they didn't really need CPR or something.

Freakozoid 12 Jan 2003 01:45

Quote:

Originally posted by Gayle28uk
I thought you could still end up getting hammered if you totally **** it up? Like breaking someone's ribs and puncturing a lung when they didn't really need CPR or something.

No one mentioned anything to me about getting sued when I had to take my 3 star medical award.

Never had to administer CPR but have had to put two people into the recovery position after minor traffic accidents.

Sarina_Joy 12 Jan 2003 01:49

Re: Would you know what to do?

Quote:

Originally posted by Jo

Would you know what to do if you found someone in that situation

Roughly

A 16 yr old was killed in my town a few days ago while he was out sledging with some friends. He lost control and was thrown off the sledge, and landed really badly. His friends were smart enough to put him into the recovery position and tried to help him until the ambulance got there, but it seems probable that he was dead on impact :/

I don't think at the age of 16 that I would have had any idea what to do :/

Jammers 12 Jan 2003 02:41

1. Get phone out
2. Phone 999
3. Get error message saying that network coverage is not available
4. Hope someone else finds the dead guy

JBOY 12 Jan 2003 04:33

If you arent trained and attempt to give first aid, and cause a worse injury than has already occured, resulting in death or serious imparement to the person's life. you can either be fined heavily or charged with manslaughter if they die.
First thing i got told on my first aid in the workplace course, a government style run thing. which i have the refresher for in about a fortnight \o/

Nodrog 12 Jan 2003 06:33

Quote:

Originally posted by JBOY
If you arent trained and attempt to give first aid, and cause a worse injury than has already occured, resulting in death or serious imparement to the person's life. you can either be fined heavily or charged with manslaughter if they die.
First thing i got told on my first aid in the workplace course, a government style run thing. which i have the refresher for in about a fortnight \o/

If you dont give help and they die because noone helped them, can you also be charged?

Sandsnake 12 Jan 2003 07:04

Quote:

Originally posted by Nodrog
If you dont give help and they die because noone helped them, can you also be charged?
only if you have medical certifications. Ignorance is not a crime (in this case).

Those of us with first-aid/cpr or other certifications however can find ourselves facing criminal negligence charges. :\

W 12 Jan 2003 07:51

Yeah I would. It was pretty much drilled in during army training, we were trained to cover any home guard team position, including medic.

When it comes to the legal debate, I really couldn't care less. I am not much for following the law in other situations, and when lives are at stake, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

slick 12 Jan 2003 08:50

1)i would try and save him.
2)if the guy dies, and i get sued or arrested, then my line of defence is "well, at least i tried to save the guy, christ sake, just coz he's dead doesn't mean i didn't try. stop having a go at me AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and run away.