Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Appoco: I ask somewhere else :) (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=199496)

Korsan 12 Aug 2011 21:38

Appoco: I ask somewhere else :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3209287)
This thread is meant to be about round names. :( If you want to ask, please ask somewhere else, and I shall respond. :)

Well you gave me word to answer :)

So, anything heard from Jagex? Any word on a pa link? Do they communicate with you "The Man of PA" at least? If yes, can you please give us some little updates about their plans?

Appocomaster 14 Aug 2011 22:47

Re: Appoco: I ask somewhere else :)

Sorry, missed this. I did look for it a day or two ago though! I can't have looked very hard. :(

So.
We've more contact with someone from Jagex recently. We are making plans with them and they are looking to get a team together to move things forward.

Unfortunately they've been busy and conducted several business deals that are pretty public, which has forced them to spend time focusing on that. I think they'd be the first to admit that they have spent a lot less time on Planetarion than they planned, and some of their plans went a bit awry.

They're still committed to improving the game and then, once there's more new user / mass user support, listing it on their main site. I know that a lot of people want that to happen asap, but if the game completely breaks and all the users sign up, join, get confused, leave, we could have several thousand random empty planets that we have to cope with. We might have to change the protection period to cope with that. That's part of future planning, to discuss. Discussions on how the signup, galaxy, exile and alliance system would cope with a sudden influx of new players are, of course, welcome on the suggestions forum.

ellonweb 14 Aug 2011 23:29

That's just a giant nothing answer.

Appocomaster 15 Aug 2011 11:27

Well, no. not really. :(

gzambo 15 Aug 2011 12:27

Just a thought but why not be proactive and get some ideas about how to integrate new users rather than wait for jagex to take their finger out of their arse , for example once the new rd starts you could use the beta server and get a few people to run a couple of hundred bot planets each to simulate the extra players

Appocomaster 15 Aug 2011 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzambo (Post 3209364)
Just a thought but why not be proactive and get some ideas about how to integrate new users rather than wait for jagex to take their finger out of their arse , for example once the new rd starts you could use the beta server and get a few people to run a couple of hundred bot planets each to simulate the extra players

firstly, lol at getting a few people to run hundreds of bot planets. I don't see how that helps, to be honest - we just see how the existing system breaks, and we kinda know that. Need more ideas on how to fix it.

secondly, I seriously don't have the time to run that sort of thing. this end of round / beginning of round section coincided with a period of low work volume for me and a weeks holiday I spent a lot of time coding on, which brought about many of this round's changes. I have little development capacity for the next month or more now.

Cin is working on something that you should see reasonably soon (I hope :D) and then we'll see what's next on the list. Also depends on feedback from Jagex.

gzambo 15 Aug 2011 12:41

Ok maybe a bad example but my point of being proactive still stands , if you and cin are to busy to do it then delegate it to someone else
to do it

ellonweb 15 Aug 2011 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3209362)
Well, no. not really. :(

To be clear, I don't blame you Appoco. But all you've done is reiterate old promises and ideas. People want to see results. And not just results in terms of developing the game, no matter how busy Jagex may have been, you'd think they could get someone to spare an hour of their life once every two months to pop in on IRC at the end of rounds or something. So yes, it's a giant nothing answer.

Korsan 15 Aug 2011 15:24

Appocomaster so Jagex again does nothing... But thanks for your answer!

ellonweb: I don't think the community can do the needed ads to attract more players. Me and some other players even dedicated 2 rounds and made a new alliance to hold all those people who normally quit pa after their first night of incs.
PA needs ads. I have never seen any banner on any site. How is PA supposed to grow if nobody cares?

Appocomaster 15 Aug 2011 15:27

I am trying to say that they are actually starting to do something.
I must not have made that clear. :(

ellonweb 15 Aug 2011 15:47

Korsan, not sure how your comments are related to what I said...

Appoco, yeh I got that. You said they're doing stuff. I'm saying that no one should be happy until we see stuff actually happening. Actions speak a thousand words etc.

Korsan 15 Aug 2011 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3209374)

sry appoco I somehow didnt see your initial response :) my post is edited now to make me look less dumb :D

Mistwraith 16 Aug 2011 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korsan
sry appoco I somehow didnt see your initial response :) my post is edited now to make me look less dumb :D

wont work .. we all know your a few bricks short of a house :)

Kaiba 16 Aug 2011 20:54

jesus another Korsan vs Jagex thread... give up and go back under your rock

If you put as much effort into making sure you didnt crash as you do into writing these posts then maybe xVx would have won rd 42 :P

ellonweb 16 Aug 2011 21:05

jesus another thread with Kaiba trying to act like one of the big kids and pretend he's ecool... give up and go back under your rock

If you put as much effort into PA as you do into writing these posts then maybe whichever alliance you claim membership to now would have won rd 42 :P

Kaiba 16 Aug 2011 21:58

:D we would have won - if it wasnt for Korsan :P

Korsan 17 Aug 2011 00:14

meh :(

t3k 17 Aug 2011 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellonweb (Post 3209376)
Korsan, not sure how your comments are related to what I said...

Appoco, yeh I got that. You said they're doing stuff. I'm saying that no one should be happy until we see stuff actually happening. Actions speak a thousand words etc.

No, *****, actions speak louder than words. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Don't mix and match, this isn't candy - it's serious business.

Light 17 Aug 2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3209374)

you've been saying the same thing for over a year now?

'Been in contact and they're just sorting things out now'
afew months later
'yeah theyve been busy but we've recently spoke and they're just setting up a team'
afew months later
'been a busy year, they're still finalising plans'
afew months later
'been a busy year, they're still finalising plans' (you got bored of coming up with excuses to just copy and pasted :p

when the sad reality is, that even zPeti did more than JageX.

ellonweb 18 Aug 2011 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3k (Post 3209451)
No, *****, actions speak louder than words. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Don't mix and match, this isn't candy - it's serious business.

Hah, my bad! I knew it seemed wrong but it just wasn't worth the effort to figure it out; it's all about the point, not the words in which I make it.

Korsan 18 Aug 2011 03:36

well... I respect you for your efforts Appoco but forgive me when I say I think you dont do enough. You don't keep up pressure on Jagex. Only on demand we get some answers. You are the only one that can even reach them and still you don't get them to at least say anything.
Again, sorry if I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Gio2k 18 Aug 2011 10:12

Honestly though, are you really expecting Jagex to do anything with this game? A quick look at their portal and it's quite clear that PA does not fit the game profile that they advertise. A text based game that messes with your sleep pattern, relies heavily on an external irc network and offers almost zero interaction during the peak online hours of normal people.
To be honest, if PA ever makes it to the Jagex portal, it will probably be if they completely redesign the game from ground up and keep the name of the game.

Mzyxptlk 18 Aug 2011 10:22

Works for me.

Appocomaster 18 Aug 2011 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korsan (Post 3209495)
well... I respect you for your efforts Appoco but forgive me when I say I think you dont do enough. You don't keep up pressure on Jagex. Only on demand we get some answers. You are the only one that can even reach them and still you don't get them to at least say anything.
Again, sorry if I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

The only one apart from the rest of the PA Team, I'm sure you mean.

It's not like one of the Jagex people doesn't pop on and talk in #planetarion occasionally. He just doesn't announce who he is. That can sometimes be amusing.

Also, what did zPeti do for Planetarion? I'm awaiting a breakthrough. So far, we've had Fubra's broken storage system vs the Jagex faulty firewall, but after the firewall was fixed, we have ticks that take 1/10th of the time from Jagex. They've also reduced credit prices since zPeti raised them to cover his VAT payments. zPeti did produce a skin.
If anything, I'd say Jagex have edged it. Or..?

Mzyxptlk 18 Aug 2011 17:08

It seems to have been a good while since the last.. let's say unscheduled maintenance, too.

TheoDD 18 Aug 2011 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio2k (Post 3209501)
Honestly though, are you really expecting Jagex to do anything with this game? A quick look at their portal and it's quite clear that PA does not fit the game profile that they advertise. A text based game that messes with your sleep pattern, relies heavily on an external irc network and offers almost zero interaction during the peak online hours of normal people.
To be honest, if PA ever makes it to the Jagex portal, it will probably be if they completely redesign the game from ground up and keep the name of the game.

This just makes me curious, why do you play this text based game that mess up your sleep pattern?

Reincarnate 18 Aug 2011 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3209509)
It seems to have been a good while since the last.. let's say unscheduled maintenance, too.

new galaxy status page?

Korsan 18 Aug 2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio2k (Post 3209501)

Well, they spent some money to buy this game so I'd expect Jagex to do something. Maybe they let PA die on purpose to use the name for their own upcomming game? I don't know... All I know is that Jagex is another owner in the sad history of pa owners.

Gio2k 19 Aug 2011 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheoDD (Post 3209510)
This just makes me curious, why do you play this text based game that mess up your sleep pattern?

Nostalgia and boredom mostly. Although it doesn't mess with my sleep pattern since i don't wake up at nights anymore :D

Gio2k 19 Aug 2011 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korsan (Post 3209518)
Well, they spent some money to buy this game so I'd expect Jagex to do something. Maybe they let PA die on purpose to use the name for their own upcomming game? I don't know... All I know is that Jagex is another owner in the sad history of pa owners.

If you check the other Jagex thread, you will notice that there are more people who also feel that the value of the current PA is just the name / domain of the game. At one point it was also the playerbase, but the playerbase has been in constant decline. In order for Jagex to get more of the game, the game itself needs to be of appeal to more people. This will only happen if the game changes to attract more casual gamers.
Now, this is my opinion, there are other people that feel that this change would actually kill PA. Although you should ask yourself from the owners perspective, what is the point of keeping alive a game that has around 900 players, with an estimated 600 paying accounts. That is an estimated 3000 € per round. With let's say 6 rounds per year we are looking at a gross income of 18000 € from which you still need to deduct the cost of servers / bandwidth. If they have to pay staff to work on game maintenance, I doubt that this game is very profitable.

I started playing last round again as i was nostalgic to see what happened to PA after 2 or so years of being away, but it seems that noone in charge has had the balls to make a change that actually brings more players to this game. I also bought a 3 credit pack, so i'll be around for 2 more rounds, after which i will most probably quit again if Pa stays the way it is. A pity actually, i like this game, but the way it is designed doesn't fit my "rythm".

Spinner 24 Aug 2011 12:15

/me grumbles...

Appoco, feel free to mention that they are free to contact me anytime, spinnerATTTTmanagerleague.com, in case they wish to..you know...let someone have a second shot at this...

Forest 24 Aug 2011 12:34

I heard you had a new game coming at Spinner...

...I also heard most people will leave here and follow your new game and it is eagerly anticipated

Spinner 24 Aug 2011 14:10

lo Forest (-:
You're quite right, but I hope I won't be responsible for dealing the final blow...I'd much rather see both games prosper when the time comes.
I should probably put some PA-ads in it!

Spinner 24 Aug 2011 14:12

In the "weird-news" column, I can also reveal that as of about 5 minutes ago, the last server we used for PA was finally decommissioned permanently. It's last SCSI-disk died, after 10 years of faithful service and nearly non-stop usage. It certainly deserves it's rest.

Alki 24 Aug 2011 15:45

Rip