Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What words If any (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190387)

pig 30 Mar 2006 07:40

What words If any

Do you always f*ck up on spelling?

For me its always arguably, I write it as argubably.

I have no idea why but it always happens. There are others too but I wont make a fool of myself...yet ;p

Dante Hicks 30 Mar 2006 07:51

Re: What words If any

Most people on the internet seem to spell "ridiculous" wrong (a search for 'rediculous' on these forums brings up 330 results for instance).

I "auto-complete" some words incorrectly, as I've said before. If I try and spell "typo" I usually find myself typing "type" - there are others too. If I'm typing slowly it's not a problem but if I'm in full swing a different segment of my brain / muscle memory just finishes words off without any thought.

In terms of actual spelling mistakes, I constantly spell "separate" incorrectly - it even looks wrong to me spelt correctly. There are lots of words where I make similar mistakes, it might be an accent thing but I often put e where a belongs (and probably vice-versa).

I'd quite like a keyboard which gave a mildly painful electric shock everytime I made a mistake, I feel like that would make me improve my typing quite a bit.

Nodrog 30 Mar 2006 07:51

I normally spell happyness wrong, but its not really a mistake anymore because that is the way I think it should be spelt. Arguement/argument generally confuses me. I've no idea how to spell 'Feburary' and I'm not sure if thats right.

Another one is a proper name; "Walter Kaufmann". I always have to google the last name to check how its spelt (double n, not double f!). I'm fairly sure there are other words which have unexpected combinations of double letters in them that I mess up, but I cant think of any offhand.

edit: there are several words that I can type correctly, but wouldnt have a clue how to spell if someone asked me (and hence I would probably spell them wrong in a handwritten lietter). "Necessary" is a good example - I've ingrained the finger movements for it, but thats about it. If I had to spell this in real life, I'd probably do so by imagining a keyboard in my head, and typing it on that.

edit2: the 's'/'z' thing pisses me off, but I dont know if that counts. My spelling tends to be fairly Americanized, and I prefer to use the 'z' spelling of 'ize' (standardize, normalize etc). But I dont do so in a consistent way; I'll often write posts which use both spellings and alternate back and forwards between them at random. I do this with other American spellings as well; math/maths being an example, which leads to me writing odd hybridizations like "Im currently a maths major".

edit3: Words which have the letters 'p', 'y' and 'h' at the start can sometimes confuse me. "Physics" is fine, but I'll often spell 'psychal', 'psychic' wrong, and sometimes 'physiology' too. I can look at the completed word and automatically know whether its spelt right, but getting there can be a problem (I'd almost certainly spell these wrong verbally).

edit4:I very rarely spell 'cannabis' right without checking (why isnt it 'cannibas'?), and I have a 50% chance of getting 'grammar' wrong. Also, 'ecstasy'' is a really stupid spelling, the second 's' should obviously be a 'c'.

Deepflow 30 Mar 2006 08:01

bourgeouisie

was that right?

Also, nod: February.

KoeN 30 Mar 2006 08:35

oeuvre.

SilverSmoke 30 Mar 2006 08:49

entousiastic? enthusiasm?

JammyJim 30 Mar 2006 08:58

I spelt February wrong up until about 3 months ago when someone pointed out it wasnt Febuary or Feburary or something. It looks much better when i actually write it. it looks wrong when i type it..how odd.

i felt such a fool :(
However i blame my primary school.

Ste 30 Mar 2006 09:04

recommendation
accommodation

i always get the double letters mixed up.

Proteus 30 Mar 2006 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I very rarely spell 'cannabis' right without checking (why isnt it 'cannibas'?)

Why would it be? How do you pronounce it?

CjC 30 Mar 2006 10:46

Necessary.

However recently, someone saved me more years of torture by telling me a simple rule - One (C)up Two (S)ugars.

wu_trax 30 Mar 2006 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Most people on the internet seem to spell "ridiculous" wrong (a search for 'rediculous' on these forums brings up 330 results for instance).

yes, I have to agree with that. I need to check every time I want to use that word.
But I'm very insecure about spelling in English anyway, I think I'm pretty good at guessing the meaning of words, even if I don't know them (which happens quite often if you read something in a foreign language) but if i want to use them myself I'm not sure about the spelling :(

Boogster 30 Mar 2006 11:20

Both 'separate' and 'argument' have been mentioned, but they've always annoyed me. 'Rhythm' still pisses me off no end.

eJohn 30 Mar 2006 11:26

always tend to type maybe mabye

KoeN 30 Mar 2006 12:03

weather

Squishy 30 Mar 2006 13:16

This is something i have real trouble with. I spell phonetically(sp?) If i was going to write properly all the time it would take me AGEs to type even simple things. Its probebly got something to do with being dyslexic.

My moto is if people can understand then thats all that really matters.

Recently though i have been trying to get my 'There' and 'Their' in the right places. Up untill then i used 'Their' for every instance of the word because i find it nicer to type.

Ive taken a good 5 mins to type this and try and make sure the spellings are right. They are probebly still loads of holes in it :D

furball 30 Mar 2006 13:31

You clearly struggle with probably - you spell it as probebly.

Motto not moto.

Amazingly enough though, you spelt phonetically correct.

SilverSmoke 30 Mar 2006 13:42

In English my spelling isn't really my biggest problem but mainly the way I construct sentences but that's something I even do in my own language :(

Alessio 30 Mar 2006 13:48

Language

x-dANGEr 30 Mar 2006 13:50

Exagiratting? Success? The most 2 painful words ever, I don't know how they're written, and I never do write them the same every time. I can do some 'typing' mistakes, such as: alg <-- lag, form <-- from.

Cannon_Fodder 30 Mar 2006 14:14

At the moment, mircowaves.

Simply because I'm writing it about a dozen times a minute doing my lab report.

Yahwe 30 Mar 2006 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by CjC
Necessary.

However recently, someone saved me more years of torture by telling me a simple rule - One (C)up Two (S)ugars.

that's no where near as good as "it is necessary for every shirt to have one collar and two sleeves"

I am an horrendous speller and a worse typist. :(

madi 30 Mar 2006 16:11

i never manage to type the r on the end of your, neither when typing on a keyboard or when writing a message on my phone.
have no idea why and it is more odd than annoying as even though i know i do it and think about it as i am deciding what to say i get to the end of the message and the r is still missing.

i am begining to wonder if someone is stealing them while i am not looking.

JonnyBGood 30 Mar 2006 16:13

You're an inverse-pirate.

PS As potentially the greatest literary mind to have never existed I rarely, if ever, make a spelling misteak.

(I know)

KaneED 30 Mar 2006 16:25

i always do maintainence :(

CjC 30 Mar 2006 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
that's no where near as good as "it is necessary for every shirt to have one collar and two sleeves"

I am an horrendous speller and a worse typist. :(

But easier and shorter to remember ;)

Demon Dave 30 Mar 2006 17:30

I still have to say the Big Elephants Can't Always Understand Small Elephants rhyme when spelling because. There are others as well that have been mentioned

QazokRouge5 30 Mar 2006 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepflow
bourgeouisie

was that right?

Also, nod: February.

have we ever had a karl marx thread?

KaneED 30 Mar 2006 17:47

Oh beautiful is another one for me.

I was remember it by using what the truman show did.

have a B - E - A - UTIFUL day

coffee- 30 Mar 2006 18:01

Tomorrow (always forget which letters are doubled up)

Probably (always find myself just putting prolly)

Ephor 30 Mar 2006 18:34

Accommodation and Nietzsche (I still pronounce this wrong too, even though consciously try not to) among others. I always notice it the first time I review it though.

Sometimes I'll forget or confuse the spelling of a very basic word like 'flys/flies', and will need to consciously correct the incorrect spelling conceived.

SYMM 30 Mar 2006 18:55

Big Elephants Are Ugly Things (iful) for beautiful.

I tend to be ok with spelling, I'm sure I make typos, but I don't think there are any consistent ones :|

A while ago, I was working on some code written by someone who couldn't spell very well and that was horrible as having to type things wrong (making minor changes to a pretty big system) was just so unnatural, and led to many mistakes.

I am aware that I use hyphens and elipsis(? :p) too often though...

Nodrog 30 Mar 2006 19:20

I used to use hyphens too often, but I compromised by deciding to randomly replace half of them with semicolons.

Dace 30 Mar 2006 22:29

"Buisness"

I wanted to do a "Buisness degree" for a good year and a bit up until a year or so ago.

Any time i was writing about the course i wanted to do i'd type "buisness".

Imagine my suprise when i discovered it was spelt "business"

jerome 30 Mar 2006 22:35

maneuver.

that word still looks wrong to me though dictionary.com disagrees, i'm sure there's an o somewhere!

furball 30 Mar 2006 22:40

manoeuvre

(US maneuver)

• noun 1 a physical movement or series of moves requiring skill and care. 2 a carefully planned scheme or action. 3 (manoeuvres) a large-scale military exercise.

• verb (manoeuvred, manoeuvring) 1 perform a physical manoeuvre. 2 carefully manipulate in order to achieve an end.

— ORIGIN French man&oe;uvrer, from Latin manus ‘hand’ + operari ‘to work’.

KoeN 30 Mar 2006 22:51

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

and i hate the umbrella too.

idiotwind 30 Mar 2006 23:20

similar, I always used to spell it similair, but I think I've mastered it now.

Phang 30 Mar 2006 23:30

noticEably.
to_ngUe.
sepArate.
ne_cesSary.

jerome 30 Mar 2006 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
manoeuvre

(US maneuver)

• noun 1 a physical movement or series of moves requiring skill and care. 2 a carefully planned scheme or action. 3 (manoeuvres) a large-scale military exercise.

• verb (manoeuvred, manoeuvring) 1 perform a physical manoeuvre. 2 carefully manipulate in order to achieve an end.

— ORIGIN French man&oe;uvrer, from Latin manus ‘hand’ + operari ‘to work’.

tell that to jesterina

Alki 4 Apr 2006 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneED
Oh beautiful is another one for me.

I was remember it by using what the truman show did.

have a B - E - A - UTIFUL day

didnt he use the same kind of line in bruce almighty.

I always seem to spell biscuit as buscuit ( I have no idea why) even though i know its wrong when i spell it. Also i press space to fast for most words like your so it ends up 'you rgay'

Blastoderm 4 Apr 2006 12:53

Milennium.

I still think I got that spelling wrong.

qebab 4 Apr 2006 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Milennium.

I still think I got that spelling wrong.

It is millennium, both ll and nn. I do that wrong too, I usually only type one l, or one n.

Most of the others I do, are covered by others already. Sometimes my hands do weird things though, like continuing to write after the word is finished, so that words like "probably" end up as "probablyly" or something like that. It always happens when I think of something else while I type.

Edit: I actually looked up "continue" too, to be sure :(

hyfe 4 Apr 2006 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alki
Also i press space to fast for most words like your so it ends up 'you rgay'

Misspelling grammatical mistakes is ace :)