Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gripes with loggin in (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192762)

pig 16 Oct 2006 19:24

Gripes with loggin in

Now I think the bot stopper is a good idea. It stops bots so I am told, so i'm all up for that. I mean who wants a Killmark MKII. I also like the way how the twatty questions have been disabled and we are left with maths only questions.

However a question to the makers of the game and perhaps also to the users is

"Do you not think it would be easier on us all to have simple calculations?"

For example

5 +1 and 2+3 instead of 87 + 96.

Now when you are drunk or tired and playing this game (which I realise is the majority of the time for this community) the maths questions get quite difficult and I find myself spending longer trying to log into the game than I do actually in the game.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Criticisms? Congratulations?

Travler 16 Oct 2006 19:35

Re: Gripes with loggin in

I agree with Pig. I get tired of having to open the calculator just to login to the game. Surely there can be enough math questions with simple answers not that are not in the triple digits. I also dislike the fact that you have login again every hour most of the time. Sometimes it will let you for a couple ticks but most of the time one tick is all you get.

Tietäjä 16 Oct 2006 19:47

The divisions can be nasty too.

I'm waiting for them to put calculus there. Solve c: (3x^2+2c)(cx^2). That would be fun.

jerome 16 Oct 2006 19:49

most of the questions are pretty simple actually, you guys are rubbish at arithmetric, however i've found several times that correct answers doesn't actually log you in so i'm assuming there's a lot of crappy signs (ie /, +, - and * obviously) that are hard to decipher

pig 16 Oct 2006 19:51

Yes they are pretty simple and with some time thinking about them I can work them out, however when waking up at 4/5am to login its very difficult in a haze to login, its also frustrating.

I'm also with Keizari on the division questions being horrible. I also agree with you jerome on the incorrect answers, it bugs the hell out of me.

Tietäjä 16 Oct 2006 19:52

The issue is +, which easily turns, by some retard fashion, into x, which people often mistake for *.

jerome 16 Oct 2006 19:58

i've seen / turning into well i have no idea what yet, maybe -

Alki 16 Oct 2006 20:40

they are shit!

Cochese 16 Oct 2006 21:37

It doesn't really bother me..if I'm too drunk or tired to figure it out, there's always the Windows calculator ;)

I agree with jer entirely though: wtf is up with correct answers not logging you in?!? (especially when I've used the damn calculator :()

Kal 16 Oct 2006 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerome
most of the questions are pretty simple actually, you guys are rubbish at arithmetric, however i've found several times that correct answers doesn't actually log you in so i'm assuming there's a lot of crappy signs (ie /, +, - and * obviously) that are hard to decipher

its not a database of questions - they are generated on the fly - this would suggest that if the answer is sometimes wrong then it is allways wrong - perhaps the issue is hitting refresh or something and keeping the same picture when u need a new picture etc.

Nadar 16 Oct 2006 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerome
however i've found several times that correct answers doesn't actually log you in so i'm assuming there's a lot of crappy signs (ie /, +, - and * obviously) that are hard to decipher

Happens to me every time I try to login.

jt25man 16 Oct 2006 22:28

Yes, it gets quite annoying with the tripple digit answers and knowing you put the correct number and getting kicked back out.

Ramihyn 16 Oct 2006 22:36

As mathmatical questions could be solved by any bot if they can decipher the question, you could just replace the mathmatical question with a simple "type this word/number" challenge and have the same level of protection like now. Should be easier for those weak humans ;)

Shyne 16 Oct 2006 22:57

They should be using single digits really I think. Harder numbers don't improve the effectiveness of the test.

Travler 17 Oct 2006 06:25

I don't think we are having much more than a good venting about this. The system now is a little better than last round so maybe next round a little more improvement might be in order.

Benneh 17 Oct 2006 08:13

I was told by support when i complained about this that i should have a maths gcse and be able to do it..

pig 17 Oct 2006 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travler
I don't think we are having much more than a good venting about this. The system now is a little better than last round so maybe next round a little more improvement might be in order.

Yep my point exactly.

Although being the planetarion community we will always moan, but as always improvement is always welcomed!

Thex 17 Oct 2006 13:33

Occasionally I have gotten it wrong and I think that the horizontal white lines are messing with the - and / to produce a + like symbol.

I've noticed that the / questions are realitively simple (66/33 etc), it would be nice if we could have some easy + and - questions (20 + 30, 95 - 30 etc).

Also the auto log out feature was originally brought in so that bots that continually refreshed the Gal Status page and alerted their ally, were thwarted. It should be 2 hours/ticks and doesn't appear to have changed to me.

K-W 17 Oct 2006 14:39

I've been happily surprised at how well ive done with the new login questions.

GReaper 17 Oct 2006 19:02

Every time players ask for it to be improved, it gets worse. :(

Can't we just have simple questions? Or maybe even no questions at all unless the account gets too much usage (a potential bot).

All players have to do to evade even the worst of botstopper questions is to enable VNC or some other remote desktop program to allow someone else to check their planet for them. Alternatively they could get a program to take the image and display it to another user and ask them to enter the question, but then let a bot takeover once its logged in again.

The botstopper harms more innocent players than cheaters.

XelNaga 18 Oct 2006 01:03

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

If you realize what has been cracked already, the PA CAPTCHA really looks ridiculous now. It always had those logic questions which computers couldn't answer without human help/indexing first, which gave it quite an edge, but now it has become completely useless.

P.S.: although it's meant as a hoax, I can only recommand the following CAPTCHA; it clearly is the best CAPTCHA _ever_, also from the security point of view.

http://hotcaptcha.com/

P.P.S.: OK, that CAPTCHA is flawed, too, clearly. I never pass the test when I choose to switch to men.

Furyous 18 Oct 2006 01:17

It's all a secret plan to educate the community a bit more every round. It could be a bloody su-do-ku (however that is spelled) next round. Please don't do that.

ReligFree 18 Oct 2006 02:33

Tbh i agree with pig. I actually now have a shorcut to the Windows calculator thing just for PA. And yeah a lot of the signs are very hard to work out. Out of interest is there some ball park figure where if u get say 5 questions wrong in a row pa team get a flash up on you?

Judge 18 Oct 2006 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReligFree
Tbh i agree with pig. I actually now have a shorcut to the Windows calculator thing just for PA. And yeah a lot of the signs are very hard to work out. Out of interest is there some ball park figure where if u get say 5 questions wrong in a row pa team get a flash up on you?

3 incorrect and your monitor blows up.
5 incorrect and your hard drive burns out

you dont want to know what happens if you get more than 5 incorrect, but it involves g0ats a straw hat and a large phallus shaped object.

:D

Alessio 18 Oct 2006 11:32

Atleast we don't have to google for capitals now :up: