Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guantanamo Again (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190028)

JammyJim 3 Mar 2006 15:22

Guantanamo Again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4769604.stm

Click on 'Hear the interview'

Its about 10minutes long but the US response is somewhat interesting. What i found odd is that the general consensus (i believed) was that Guantanamo was a total violation of human rights and a stain on American freedoms, liberty and more importantly Justice, for all.

However whilst listening to the Jeremy Vine show on R2 the other day i heard people saying that they would prefer the camp stays open because at least then these people can be watched and kept under detention and even if they were innocent theres a strong likelyhood now that they will go off and become 'bad people' as a result of whats happened to them and the way the US has treated them..

In that interview the Secretary states that if they 'lay down their arms' (as in surrender) they will be freed....

So why in the hell havnt they all gone 'ok we give up. we promise not to fight anymore'

Tbh im not sure as to the legitimacy of Guantanamo or whether its serving a rightful purpose. I dont think we really know what goes on there and id prefer to believe that the US government knows something about these people that we dont and is justified in a roundabout way of detaining them. But then a part of me wonders whether im maybe putting too much faith in human logic and decency.

Tactitus 3 Mar 2006 15:45

Re: Guantanamo Again

Quote:

Originally Posted by JammyJim
In that interview the Secretary states that if they 'lay down their arms' (as in surrender) they will be freed....

So why in the hell havnt they all gone 'ok we give up. we promise not to fight anymore'

I think the deal is that if the Taliban and al Qaeda surrender then their captured solders go free (that's the usual arrangement in warfare), but I can't see why bin Laden and Mullah Omar would do that.

JammyJim 3 Mar 2006 15:49

Listen to the interview dudes.

At the end of it she states that if they 'lay down arms' they go free. Its rather confusing tbh.

As for the other comment. I just would prefer to believe that there isnt a giant conspiracy and the people who are detaining them know something we dont. Did i also mention that i travel to the the USA a lot and id imagine the US read the internet :(

Proteus 3 Mar 2006 17:39

I really do love the "they'll all be bad people now anyway" argument.

"John Smith has just been cleared of murder on appeal, and it turns out he's been wrongly imprisoned for the past 30 years. However, being wrongly imprisoned has probably made him angry with the world, and so if we let him out he'll probably go and do something naughty, so we'd better keep him locked up forever." :up:

MrL_JaKiri 3 Mar 2006 17:52

Quote:

I dont think we really know what goes on there and id prefer to believe that the US government knows something about these people that we dont and is justified in a roundabout way of detaining them.

I would prefer to believe that the US government doesn't torture people, but there we are.

The only rational reason for keeping the reason for peoples capture secret, if you have such a reason, is if you don't want the method of obtaining that reason to be released. However, this is a group of people who, after obtaining multiple methods of tracking Osama Bin Laden, released them all to the press so they became worthless when it actually mattered.

This is also a group of people who don't appear to have any concern for civil liberties either. So I think you're pushing the limits of Occam's Razor there.

Dante Hicks 3 Mar 2006 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus
"John Smith has just been cleared of murder on appeal, and it turns out he's been wrongly imprisoned for the past 30 years. However, being wrongly imprisoned has probably made him angry with the world, and so if we let him out he'll probably go and do something naughty, so we'd better keep him locked up forever." :up:

Ignoring morality, that's sounds like fairly solid reasoning.

All Systems Go 3 Mar 2006 19:24

Quote:

Listen to the interview dudes.

At the end of it she states that if they 'lay down arms' they go free. Its rather confusing tbh.

As for the other comment. I just would prefer to believe that there isnt a giant conspiracy and the people who are detaining them know something we dont. Did i also mention that i travel to the the USA a lot and id imagine the US read the internet :(

It's the exact same thing that happened in the 50s with the Communists.

I wouldn't trust them.

Yahwe 4 Mar 2006 01:15

Quote:

try to not let your desire and idealism blind you to truth.

JammyJim 4 Mar 2006 02:37

read between the lines yahwe :(

Yahwe 4 Mar 2006 02:41

i am wearied by duty and teaching.

you can explain what you meant when i return to my capital tomorrow.

(I never forget)