Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I hate the press (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=184323)

All Systems Go 29 Mar 2005 22:08

I hate the press

I now officially hate all press. I hate the tories, but what I saw last night on sky news was disgraceful. they were giving a speech on tory policies and this one was on child welfare. the first question asked was about that tory mp michael howard kicked out of the party. Howard diverted the question by replying that he would discuss it after they had discussed the child welfare policy and go back to the guy who had asked the question. So he went to the crowd to get questions on his child welfare policy and not one ****ing journalist had a question about this policy so he had to go bac and answer the mp question.

I was apalled by this. I know the tories are shit and don't stand a chance in hell of getting into power so their policies don't matter. But for the media to already have decided this and then (whether they were aware of it or not) gone on towards pushing this picture by displays such as this. When a party is treated shabbily is removes confiece from the voters so they'll vote for stronger party. this is a blantant perversion of any sense of democracy we deliver in this country.

Phang 29 Mar 2005 22:13

Re: I hate the press

you can hardly accuse the present british media of being blairites.

Madina 29 Mar 2005 22:19

Blair Broadcasting Corporation :(

Marilyn Manson 29 Mar 2005 22:21

I hate newsagents.

Yahwe 29 Mar 2005 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madina
Blair Broadcasting Corporation :(

alliteration doesn't make it true

All Systems Go 29 Mar 2005 22:25

In the papers and everything there is supposed to be news but it is all opinion. they have shocking head-lines but calm text so the stroy is as bad as it seems. When they're watching the news they assume it tries to be equal due to law or somethng (except if you are watching Fox). So while you will be seeing equal amounts of Labour and Conservative on tv the actual information in the way it is presented will generally be pro-labour.

JonnyBGood 29 Mar 2005 22:40

Bloody freedom of the press :mad:

Marilyn Manson 29 Mar 2005 22:49

This is what happens with these kinds of things; they pander to the lowest common donominator to make teh money and have little interest in 'real' quality!

Amazing! Incredible! Ridiculous!

Phang 29 Mar 2005 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So while you will be seeing equal amounts of Labour and Conservative on tv the actual information in the way it is presented will generally be pro-labour.

what in the eight pits of outraged sodomy are you talking about?

Demon Dave 30 Mar 2005 01:11

You need to stop reading the tabloids. I hate tabloids

Dace 30 Mar 2005 01:56

I have despised the media for many years now.

Dante Hicks 30 Mar 2005 06:27

Opinion in news sources is no bad thing. The only bad thing is the people who think they can read one news source and get a balanced world view, or even worse the people who say things like "I read the Telegraph and the Guardian, that way I get both sides." as if that wasn't patently ridiculous.

We are fortunate to live in an age where genuine alternate viewpoints are only a few button presses away. Even ten or twenty years ago it would be a major chore to track down outside information, now we no longer have this excuse.

The mass media in this country (and any other country that I'm aware of)are indeed shit, but if they are read with a healthy skepticism* and in conjunction with other sources they are harmless enough.

* = Even if you don't get a chance to read anything else, reading a newspaper in a skeptical way is very easy for anyone with a reasonable education and very helpful. In all newspapers in this country bias is very easy to detect and even if you know nothing about a story it's usually quite possible what level of bullshit a particular piece is. This is especially true with science stories.

CrashTester 30 Mar 2005 10:04

The only paper I read nowadays is the companies monthly 'internal rag'. They do a good little section where a chosen employee gets to review films/books/websites and tell you about their likes/dislikes. Its riveting.

CrashTester 30 Mar 2005 10:24

I reviewed Debbie Does Dallas (the original), The bible and Planetarion, or course!

CrashTester 30 Mar 2005 10:37

It was a bit long, the new testament didnt do the old one justice, Mary was never a virgin.

Radical Edward 31 Mar 2005 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Howard diverted the question by replying that he would discuss it after they had discussed the child welfare policy and go back to the guy who had asked the question. So he went to the crowd to get questions on his child welfare policy and not one ****ing journalist had a question about this policy so he had to go bac and answer the mp question.

lol, that's brilliant :) an entire room full of journalists who don't know what to say. you couldn't make it up.

roadrunner_0 31 Mar 2005 12:36

everyone knows that journalists are a bunch of bastards, isn't that what they are paid to be?

EDIT: ps, T&F, if you are going to call someone fit you have to provide pictures!

Radical Edward 31 Mar 2005 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
everyone knows that journalists are a bunch of bastards, isn't that what they are paid to be?

EDIT: ps, T&F, if you are going to call someone fit you have to provide pictures!

precisely.

PS: has anyone asked Howard: "Did you threaten to overrule him?"