Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [Football]Ben Thatcher - Has anyone seen... (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192093)

Stifler 25 Aug 2006 00:38

[Football]Ben Thatcher - Has anyone seen...

Did anyone see this?

Bloody disgusting, if that happened off the pitch he would be done for GBH.

He should be banned for at least 6 months at least for it

Link to the BBC story

Apothos 25 Aug 2006 00:47

Re: [Football]Ben Thatcher - Has anyone seen...

After reading a few things about the challenge i thought it would have been worse.

If Thatcher hadn't have been running at full-pelt the Portuguese fellow would have been up in two seconds. It's just the same as if he'd have slid in at that speed with his feet. A lot of fuss over nothing.

furball 25 Aug 2006 00:54

It's never going to be GBH. Having just checked the CPS's charging standards, it would be (maximum) ABH and probably reduced to common assault for a guilty plea.

Ban him for 3-6 games. It happens at a very fast pace and there's no swinging of the elbow as opposed to just hitting him with the forearm/elbow. I know some of you won't like this stance but compared to other bans, I think it's appropriate.

EDIT: right, I re-watched it after Stifler's post. The elbow definitely comes up. Throw the book at him, 6-10 games.

Stifler 25 Aug 2006 00:54

he raised his elbow to his mendez's head...

was very malicous

furball 25 Aug 2006 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stifler
he raised his elbow to his mendez's head...

was very malicous

Just re-watched and edited my previous post :(

lokken 25 Aug 2006 01:04

The fact is he went for Pedro full in the side of the face with his elbow as well as his feet. If he'd done that in a pub car park on a friday night, he'd have been locked up for a few months. The whole point of the challenge was to hurt pedro rather than to get the ball, so it wasn't even a 'bad tackle' more a bit of mindless violence on a football pitch. The video is worse every time you look at it IMO.

I'd say Pedro is lucky to have got off so lightly. When you aim for someone's head like that to send them flying towards a hoarding, potentially he might not have been able to walk again. While I haven't written to the FA or the police, I can see exactly why people have.

He can stick his apology, considering he didn't seem to give a shit during or after the game.

Credit to the PFC players who got a point despite being distracted with Pedro's injury.

Wonder if Thatcher will come to Fratton for the return. 'heh'

Saphi 25 Aug 2006 01:04

i thought this was a brilliant and ensiping move ...if he was a pro fighter.... but as he plays prolly one of the sissiest sports in the world ..... hes done the right thing to bring a bit of controvesy back into it and a bit of violence..... who cares if he gets banned hes still gonna keep on doing it ... just remember the gad damn awful challenges he made last yr .... he should make a switch to the UFC with skills like that.... not play a sissy's game

Deffeh 25 Aug 2006 01:22

after reading and hearing a few things i thought "maybe thatcher deserves a break".

But not just the challenge, the way he walks away playing the innocent after it, ban the **** for a year and let him rot on the sidelines. Thats just not ****ing on. In Rugby or American Football it wouldnt be allowed.

Stifler 25 Aug 2006 01:23

I agree with you lokken, he didnt even appear to try and get the ball.

If the FA dont come down hard on him, there will be hell tp pay in my opinion

Saphi 25 Aug 2006 01:37

come on give the lad a chance to kill some1 then they can lock him away ... until then it brings a new freshness to the game. the hate factor.... and tbh taking out a skate player is a gd thing... the only thing im upset about is he didnt try to take out more of the scum that pluage this earth waring a skate shirt

Deffeh 25 Aug 2006 01:39

ur boobies smell of poo

Hicks 25 Aug 2006 01:48

There are some really bad PA playing (I assume) posters recently, Planetarion Discussions is that way !

I'm not sure what the FA can do to him ? Can they still ban him even though he was booked for it ? He definately runs in with his elbow raised (Not the first time he's done that either), it's definately intentional and he should have been sent off and banned for a good stretch. I don't think criminal charges are really appropriate though.

Saphi 25 Aug 2006 01:51

who cares... he hurt a skatemouth player gd for him i say
Southampton FC FTW
Com'on u Saints

Hicks 25 Aug 2006 01:55

Ah Southampton perhaps the most bland fans in the whole football league. Actually Reading may run them close for that title.

lokken 25 Aug 2006 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphi
who cares... he hurt a skatemouth player gd for him i say
Southampton FC FTW
Com'on u Saints

Dearie me, times must be hard in scum.

I hear they are piping crowd noise at st.fairies these days because you aren't making any

4-1

**** off jamrag.

pig 25 Aug 2006 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken

that is actually quite funny!

:up:

I hope to god they dont do it at the villa!

Hicks 25 Aug 2006 12:57

They tried it at Old Trafford but there were so many complaints they stopped it, no such from Southampton though bet they were happy to have some noise there.

KaneED 25 Aug 2006 13:29

And then after you've found out all this: "then get told a member of ur family has died then 30 mins after getting banged up ure told ur homeless..." you realise you'll never get a job because you can't write and probably cannot speak English.

Kill yourself now, its the only hope :(

Forest 25 Aug 2006 15:05

It says it all that Man City are considering suspending Ben Thatcher, presumably with no pay.
And that the police may charge him.

If you like at his afce as he turns away, you can see in his face pure anger, and hes lost the plot.

Sky Sports did a collection of clips on Thatcher, and he has done that sort fo thing many times before.

I doubt Ben Thatcher can look at himself in the mirror, it was thuggary and he could of killed his opponant.

Disgraceful.

The_Tyrant 25 Aug 2006 16:26

give him a break, he sent a letter!

roadrunner_0 25 Aug 2006 18:03

i am fully of the opinion that he should be banned from football for life, its a hideous challenge and just a little higher and it could have killed the other guy

Forest 25 Aug 2006 18:29

Manchester City have suspended Ben Thatcher now, and written to Portsmouth and Mendes to apoligise on behalf of the club.

Thatcher has been charged with serious foul play by the FA.

FIFA have stated theyw ill expect further action, and will only get involved if they deem the sanctions imposed inadequate.

As a pompey fan, it is nice to see football as a whole (including man city fans) stand up against this thuggary.

lokken 25 Aug 2006 20:28

Nice to see the footballing authorities doing something and giving us a bit of justice for a change.

As you could be sure that if it wasn't for FA/FIFA, Man City were going to not play him this weekend, fine him some wages and hope the whole thing blew over.

He's getting what's coming to him and that's all we could ask for. Hopefully Pedro has a quick recovery.

-o|DarkJedi|o- 26 Aug 2006 09:35

he should be forced to wear waterwings on his elbows for the rest of his days as a player...

EVEN when on the bench

Cannon_Fodder 26 Aug 2006 13:05

Silly idimmu, tricks are for kids

Dace 26 Aug 2006 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Silly idimmu, tricks are for kids

and hookers

-o|DarkJedi|o- 27 Aug 2006 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by idimmu
hey dj how's tricks?

not bad thanks fella, thanks for asking :)

you?

Stew 27 Aug 2006 13:12

I really don't see what all the fuss is about :confused:

Stifler 27 Aug 2006 14:59

I will not sue Thatcher - Mendes

roadrunner_0 30 Aug 2006 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew
I really don't see what all the fuss is about :confused:

dude, he knocked him clean the **** out, and didnt even go anywhere near the ball, it wasnt a challenge, it was an assault!