Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Capping roids (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196859)

RuBBeR 20 Aug 2008 19:45

Capping roids

What is up with capping roids? I capped 8M 11C 19E today and target had M102 C100 E100 roids before getting roided.

At this rate my roid ratio is gonna be way out of wack in no time, if it isn't already.

(surprised nobody posted about this yet?)

Ceadrath 20 Aug 2008 19:57

Re: Capping roids

this was a bug that got fixed this morning at some point, so as far as we know it should be fixed now.

RuBBeR 20 Aug 2008 20:00

guess it's not fixed then

Ceadrath 20 Aug 2008 20:00

when did you cap?

RuBBeR 20 Aug 2008 20:15

tick 90

Ceadrath 20 Aug 2008 20:24

when i said this morning, i really meant early afternoon.

RuBBeR 20 Aug 2008 20:26

k np, let's see what happens tomorrow

VenoX 20 Aug 2008 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadrath (Post 3153898)
when i said this morning, i really meant early afternoon.

Signs of a good PA lifestyle.

HaNzI 20 Aug 2008 21:56

i actually liked it! it made me laugh a bit when someone capped only metal and eonium from my scannerplanet :p

robban1 21 Aug 2008 17:40

and how the hell could this bug pop up right in the blue? this should be one of the easiest thing to discover in the beta

nubs

Mzyxptlk 21 Aug 2008 17:47

It was discovered in beta (again and again and again...), just not fixed.

robban1 21 Aug 2008 18:58

even more depressing then :/

Bubert Samson 21 Aug 2008 19:31

Hell, I thought thats how it was supposed to be ;)

Phil^ 21 Aug 2008 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3153961)

Oh dear god...
confidence will soon be suffering a negative integer overflow :/

Phil^ 21 Aug 2008 22:07

Ok, i'm looking at the r28 changelog trying to find a logical explaination ( after all, simple ratios arent exactly at a quantum physics level of difficulty ) and i cant see any tinkering with the combat engine mentioned so either this bug existed in r27 as well or its been introduced as part of 'a new feature' and simply not announced.
or of course simply introduced by accident - which is my bet.
Either way, if it was discovered again and again and again in the beta ( and presumably reported again and again and again ) it really is shocking that it wasn't fixed or announced if its intended

Mzyxptlk 21 Aug 2008 22:10

From what I've been able to piece together (though I haven't spent much time digging around so I might be wrong), the combat engine was indeed tinkered with, in an attempt to fix a known bug with stealing. While I think the original bug has been fixed, two new ones were introduced in the process. A new bug with stealing (something about two stealing ships firing at each other at the same init, iirc), and the roid capping one.

Phil^ 21 Aug 2008 22:11

*sigh*
do i need to mention unit testing once again developers?
i've done it god knows how many times already :/

ricoshay 22 Aug 2008 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubert Samson (Post 3153966)
Hell, I thought thats how it was supposed to be ;)

Generally speaking, that's what devs always say when they screw up. :D

Nadar 29 Aug 2008 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3153961)

The Charm of Planetarion, I believe it is called.

Malice 30 Aug 2008 17:37

Would be nice if the cap leaned toward race resource needs.

Being Zik, I wouldn't mind a larger E take on my attacks. As of now, equal roids mean M and C getting dumped in gal fund as donation...or losing 5% on trade for E.

Race specific caps would also lead to some interesting supply and demand.

Ceadrath 30 Aug 2008 22:42

it would also get rid of their being any reward for actively planning during the round, to make sure you don't have shit res split.

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadrath (Post 3154398)
it would also get rid of their being any reward for actively planning during the round, to make sure you don't have shit res split.

What are you talking about.

Ceadrath 31 Aug 2008 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malice (Post 3154393)
Being Zik, I wouldn't mind a larger E take on my attacks. As of now, equal roids mean M and C getting dumped in gal fund as donation...or losing 5% on trade for E.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cead

If your any race but xan your going to need more of one resource, the more you 'plan' to negate the discrepancy between your resources then the more value you get out of your roids. If you don't build any refineries you have a larger inbalance for ship production, so you lose more resources on the gal/ally trading tax, if you don't have a mod and sufficient fund that you can trade with then your losing resources paying a much higher conversion cost trading with the universe.

Hence theirs a clear benefit to people that plan/organise these things over those that dont, making roid cap favour your races need for resources would make this 'skill' (as basic as it is) worthless.

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 14:42

So you end up paying a 5% tax rate over the 5% of your income you'll end up trading (at the most!), that's a loss of 0.25% of your total income. That's 1 out of every 400 roids or a fourth of what your alliance asks for scans. Utterly insignificant.

Ceadrath 31 Aug 2008 15:32

well, considering some ships require 25% more of one res your going to be trading more than 5% of total income in some circumstances. And the 5% gal trading tax is if you actually have a active mod and invest the initial resources, which would come under the 'planning' i mentioned. The default 25% is going to take a much larger percentage of your income.

As far as being an insignificant amount, people still make the effort to go etd before tick start to get that cheaper trade, so every little really does count :(

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadrath (Post 3154410)
well, considering some ships require 25% more of one res your going to be trading more than 5% of total income in some circumstances. And the 5% gal trading tax is if you actually have a active mod and invest the initial resources, which would come under the 'planning' i mentioned. The default 25% is going to take a much larger percentage of your income.

On the contrary. Let us assume that you get income in a ratio of 1:1:1, just to keep things simple; no refineries, no bad roiding. On average (ignoring SKs and pods), there's a ratio of 1.18:1 between the highest and lowest resources. Taking taxes into account, this means that if you exchange 5.91% of your 2 lowest resources into the higher resource, you get the desired ratio. Obviously you only need to exchange 2 of the resources (into the third), so 5.91% of 2/3 of your income makes 3.94% of your total income. You lose 5% of that, which is a shocking 0.197% of your total income, or 1 in 507 roids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadrath (Post 3154410)
As far as being an insignificant amount, people still make the effort to go etd before tick start to get that cheaper trade, so every little really does count :(

No galfund at round start. 25%

Gate 31 Aug 2008 20:21

Tbh, why not just obliterate resource types? Have 'asteroids' and 'resources'.

M/C/E are looked at fondly by a lot of people, so instead you could keep the different types of roids, give each race abonus to mining (eg terran get 12% bonus to M, xan get 4% each to M/C/E...), but they're converted straight to 'resources'.

Wouldn't affect the gameplay and would remove 2 pointless columns on the stats tables; making them look less intimidating.

HaNzI 31 Aug 2008 22:27

or just remove all resource-types and just call it all "CASH"

.problem solved. or do we really need m/c/e now that the ships doesnt even need any fuel to fly?

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate (Post 3154427)
Tbh, why not just obliterate resource types? Have 'asteroids' and 'resources'.

Personally, I am not particularly attached to resource types. As said above, it has little impact on ship production, and for everything else an equal cost in each resource type is used. Replacing the 3 resources with a single currency wouldn't harm the game while removing two useless variables from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate (Post 3154427)
M/C/E are looked at fondly by a lot of people, so instead you could keep the different types of roids, give each race abonus to mining (eg terran get 12% bonus to M, xan get 4% each to M/C/E...), but they're converted straight to 'resources'.

Wouldn't affect the gameplay and would remove 2 pointless columns on the stats tables; making them look less intimidating.

Wrong, Bonuses of the type you suggest will dumb the game down, unlike simple removal. It would result in a notable decrease in interaction between different races (no point in roiding a race which mostly has roids you can't mine as effectively), creating boring "who has more war frigates" combat.

Gate 31 Aug 2008 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3154432)
Wrong, Bonuses of the type you suggest will dumb the game down, unlike simple removal. It would result in a notable decrease in interaction between different races (no point in roiding a race which mostly has roids you can't mine as effectively), creating boring "who has more war frigates" combat.

The bonuses should be much lower but the concept is there to maintain the current 'dynamic' which already slightly favours roiding your own race.

I prefer the first option, but people whine whenever you try and change anything. The second may be more palatable (albeit with an order-of-magnitude-lower mining bonus or something).

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate (Post 3154435)
The bonuses should be much lower but the concept is there to maintain the current 'dynamic' which already slightly favours roiding your own race.

I prefer the first option, but people whine whenever you try and change anything. The second may be more palatable (albeit with an order-of-magnitude-lower mining bonus or something).

As said above, the impact is negligible. If you're suggesting setting the bonuses as low as that, I wouldn't bother implementing them at all.

Gate 31 Aug 2008 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3154442)
As said above, the impact is negligible. If you're suggesting setting the bonuses as low as that, I wouldn't bother implementing them at all.

Me neither (like I said).

It was just a suggestion that others may be happier with.

EDIT: And whilst we're at it, condense guns/dmg so we can get rid of another column. The stats tables are pretty ugly right now.

Mzyxptlk 31 Aug 2008 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate (Post 3154435)
people whine whenever you try and change anything.

While this is true, your suggestion of bonuses is actually a bigger change than removing resources altogether. Yet people will support it. Pretty ironic, isn't it?