Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts. (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193080)

pyirt 17 Nov 2006 12:52

Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts.

It`s another one of those quick quizes. http://education.guardian.co.uk/quiz...947596,00.html. I got 12 out of 13 \o/ .I guess I don`t really count since I`m not an overseas student.

Hicks 17 Nov 2006 13:06

Re: Studing in the UK, do`s and don`ts.

You scored 13 out of a possible 13.

Ste 17 Nov 2006 13:08

london orientated unsuprisingly :rolleyes:

13 out of 13 anyway

All Systems Go 17 Nov 2006 13:30

10/13

I've only been to London once but I think the travel questions are more idealistic than a reflection of what actually happens.

Cannon_Fodder 17 Nov 2006 14:02

12, i didnt read the answers to #2 fully enough

Tomkat 17 Nov 2006 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

13 out of 13 anyway

Who cares about the barbarians in the north? :rolleyes:

12 out of 13 - I said you should read someone else's paper over their shoulder when the right answer was to cause less disruption :(

furball 17 Nov 2006 14:05

13/13, but I gave what I knew would be the right answers as opposed to the truthful ones :(

Tomkat 17 Nov 2006 14:20

You damn foreign students trying to pass yourselves off as UK citizens!

(actually I was classed as an "overseas student" for my university education /o\ )

lokken 17 Nov 2006 14:21

I went for push your way on, as it's what most people do anyway, I thought politeness, happiness and kindness had evaporated from our public transport system.

(12/13)

Hicks 17 Nov 2006 14:50

Foreigners like you are ruining this country Tomkat, NHS tourist that's what you are, sponging off hard working Daily Express readers, I'm emailing John Reid as we speak to ask about deporting you back to Jersey.

KoeN 17 Nov 2006 15:29

You scored 11 out of a possible 13
It's finishing school for you. You know the basics but there's room for improvement. But you must venture outside the M25 to improve your street cred.

not bad, not bad. :]

and i can't believe i answered incorrect to the first question "on which side of an escalator do you stand". (i never made mistakes with that when i was in the UK) :(

Gimmick 17 Nov 2006 15:40

You scored 13 out of a possible 13
You know the rules. There's no talking on the Tube and no ducking out of rounds at the pub. Well done duckie. Bob's your uncle and all that.

EASY \o/ EASY \o/ EASY \o/

Nodrog 17 Nov 2006 18:58

I got the soap one wrong and didnt know what 'spend a penny' meant.

Demon Dave 17 Nov 2006 20:13

You scored 13 out of a possible 13
You know the rules. There's no talking on the Tube and no ducking out of rounds at the pub. Well done duckie. Bob's your uncle and all that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I got the soap one wrong and didnt know what 'spend a penny' meant.

The soap one I can understand, but how can any englishman not know what spending a penny means?

Mistwraith 17 Nov 2006 21:22

13/13 .. i am english tho ...

now try again with what i know shouldnt happen but does.

9/13 .. but i got every one right :-)

no matter how u stand on a tube ecsulator.. you will end up on the right cos u will be elbowed out of the way if u are not .

Nodrog 17 Nov 2006 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon Dave
The soap one I can understand, but how can any englishman not know what spending a penny means?

I'm not English

Yahwe 17 Nov 2006 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I'm not English

they have pennies in scotland as well

Cooling 17 Nov 2006 23:12

You scored 12 out of a possible 13

I've never been on the Tube :(
Never been to England either mind you.

Ultimate Newbie 18 Nov 2006 05:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooling

I've never been on the Tube :(
Never been to England either mind you.

You beat me; i only got 10 and i've been to London once when i was 13 for a couple of days...

I said that you should stand on the left hand side of the escalator (which is the practice in perth, i assumed elsewhere too :\ ), I said that the Toad dish was not a traditional dish (apparantly the stout isnt :\), and i said that someone who was going to spend a penny was going to spend (alot) of pounds, not go to the loo.

Seriously, with regards to the last one, does anyone actually say that who is not a nutter?

Dante Hicks 18 Nov 2006 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Only 2 of the 13 questions are specific to London.

Demon Dave 18 Nov 2006 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Seriously, with regards to the last one, does anyone actually say that who is not a nutter?

Yes, though it's mainly old women

Ste 18 Nov 2006 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Only 2 of the 13 questions are specific to London.

I'd consider the first 5 to be actually.

How many other cities in the UK do many people go to work on a train?
And even if they do I can't remember ticket barriers, especially not busy ones, at any other station.

Dante Hicks 18 Nov 2006 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Define "many people". Hundreds of thousands of people use the train to go to work outside of London. Just because you're lucky enough to have a car. :mad:

Quote:

And even if they do I can't remember ticket barriers, especially not busy ones, at any other station.
I'm sure I've seen ticket barriers elsewhere, but you may have a point.

Ste 18 Nov 2006 11:48

Quote:

Define "many people". Hundreds of thousands of people use the train to go to work outside of London. Just because you're lucky enough to have a car. :mad:

Really?
I'd be interested to see those statistics.

I'm not doubting people actually do use the train but from the (albeit anecdotal) evidence I've seen, trains are used in a much much lower proportion than buses and cars. Especially by students (which is what the article is about), I can't think of any university outside London where people would commute to it by train.

Thinking of the major cities here - Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham etc etc don't have a train network as such.
Trams and metro's yes, but not trains. Liverpool is the only city I can think of with a "train" link.

Quote:

I'm sure I've seen ticket barriers elsewhere, but you may have a point.

Brighton does, but that's practically London these days anyway :rolleyes:

Tomkat 18 Nov 2006 12:02

This "anti London" sentimentality is very similar to the "Scotland vs England" argument.

People in England don't mind the Scottish, in fact a lot of us regard them as our slightly less intelligent sibling. If there's a competitive event on (for example, an international game of football), then we'll happily support Scotland as they're "kin" to us. However, the Scottish harbour a deep resentment to the English for some reason (I can only think jealousy!) and - as most UKers know - actively support whichever team is playing AGAINST England. It's really rather sad.

The "London vs other major cities" is the same. Londoners don't mind other cities or the people that live there. They just know that they're a little bit inferior! The other city-goers seem to harbour (as with the Scottish/English situation) a deep resentment to Londoners and everything our great nation's capital stands for.

I was the same when I lived in Exeter - I thought of London as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole. Now I love the place and can't wait to move back.

MrL_JaKiri 18 Nov 2006 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
Really?
I'd be interested to see those statistics.

I'm not doubting people actually do use the train but from the (albeit anecdotal) evidence I've seen, trains are used in a much much lower proportion than buses and cars.

A much lower proportion, yes, but that doesn't stop all the trains between Durham and Newcastle (say) being impossibly backed between about 7:30 and 9:00, and indeed of a night; trains are faster and smoother between Durham and Newcastle, and pretty much all the Durham students who go to the Newcastle clubs and whatnot go by train, at least in my experience. Any examination of the frequency of this event must take into consideration that the Durham clubs are by far the worst I've ever experienced, and as I hate all clubs that's saying something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
Especially by students (which is what the article is about), I can't think of any university outside London where people would commute to it by train.

Again, Newcastle springs to mind. It's more of a train system than the underground, despite...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
Thinking of the major cities here - Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham etc etc don't have a train network as such.
Trams and metro's yes, but not trains. Liverpool is the only city I can think of with a "train" link.

The Tyne and Wear Metro may be much more linear than the London one, but that's largely because London is much larger; that doesn't mean it shouldn't count as a "train" if the Underground does.

"The Metro is usually described as Britain's first modern light rail system. However, it can be considered a hybrid system, displaying elements of light rail, heavy underground metro, and longer-distance, higher speed suburban and interurban railway systems." says wikipedia on the topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
The "London vs other major cities" is the same. Londoners don't mind other cities or the people that live there. They just know that they're a little bit inferior! The other city-goers seem to harbour (as with the Scottish/English situation) a deep resentment to Londoners and everything our great nation's capital stands for.

I was the same when I lived in Exeter - I thought of London as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole. Now I love the place and can't wait to move back.

Having been to London on many occasions, I can safely say that my opinion of it as a dirty, bustling, crimeridden hellhole which is also far too large is fairly well founded. But then I do think that about Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and the rest as well.

Yahwe 18 Nov 2006 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Aye well said t' that man an' 'is whippet. T'namby pamby southernors with their fancy metal trains! Get me t'me office by a good horse 'n trap any day!!

BesigedB 18 Nov 2006 19:53

Re: Studying in the UK, dos and don'ts.

13/13 but disturbingly tubecentric

Cooling 19 Nov 2006 11:03

I'd never seen a ticket barrier before visiting Sydney. I didn't know what they were or how to get tickets for them (vending machines!).

It took me ages to work out how to get out of the central metro :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie

I learned what it meant of an English friend of mine, who has one of those terribly posh English accents, which I find immensely amusing.

Hicks 19 Nov 2006 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
I'd consider the first 5 to be actually.

Most stations in the UK have ticket barriers these days including the small ones, they've been phasing them in everywhere since privatization. Quite a few people I know commute to Cardiff to work via train.

G.K Zhukov 19 Nov 2006 15:11

10 of of 13.
It's finishing school for you. You know the basics but there's room for improvement. But you must venture outside the M25 to improve your street cred.

pablissimo 19 Nov 2006 15:16

I figured that because it was the Grauniad it was satirical so did the first few tube-related ones as 'being as obnoxious as possible'. That's what you ****s down there do, isn't it?

Marv 19 Nov 2006 15:20

I stampeed peoples feet and trip them up at tube stations when I'm not in a rush and they are :rolleyes:

Smudge 20 Nov 2006 11:31

They missed out an important question

Your in a hurry to get on to the next tube train with several police offers chasing you. Do you:

a) Stop and wait for them to catch up
b) Jump over the ticket barrier and hurtle down the esculators on to the train
c) Pop into the WH Smith in the train station and buy some Lucozade
d) Start shouting out Brazilian

And if you answered B, congratulations - in the eyes of the Law your now a terrorist

Ultimate Newbie 20 Nov 2006 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
And if you answered B, congratulations - in the eyes of the Law your now a terrorist

Oi, hang on, hang on! I'm not ethnic/brazillian, so i would never be considered to be a terrorist! \o/

:\

dda 21 Nov 2006 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
they have penises in scotland as well

fixed

Dante Hicks 21 Nov 2006 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
and i live in london so i'm allowed to call it depressing (and it is)

One wonders if you'd be happy anywhere though man.