Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   He wouldn't gerrymander a bee (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196302)

Marilyn Manson 1 Apr 2008 12:35

He wouldn't gerrymander a bee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7323667.stm

Okay, so he had dead people on the electoral register, he had armed guards posted at the ballot boxes for weeks stuffing votes into them by the fistfull, he was apparently handing out free tractors to voters in some areas, and he still loses.

C'mon, Bobby, you need to brush up on your electoral fraud. You should be an old pro at it by this stage.

All Systems Go 1 Apr 2008 12:53

Re: He wouldn't gerrymander a bee

Why does everyone care so much about Zimbabwae when there are loads of others out there like him?

Marilyn Manson 1 Apr 2008 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Why does everyone care so much about Zimbabwae when there are loads of others out there like him?

Because all the other dictators are good at their job.

Yahwe 1 Apr 2008 19:55

he is being rather good. drip feeding the results with the opposition in front first then gradually a 'government comeback' is marvellous

he's gone for gritty realistic lies this time

G.K Zhukov 1 Apr 2008 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Because all the other dictators are good at their job.

Well, Musharaff (or how you spell his name) in Pakistan have been slipping lately.

pyirt 2 Apr 2008 08:54

Vladimir Putin seems to be doing well.

Mzyxptlk 2 Apr 2008 09:22

Is this "Name the Dictator" or what.

P.S. STALIN.

Hebdomad 2 Apr 2008 12:55

http://www.sokwanele.com/map/all_breaches

yo.

_Kila_ 2 Apr 2008 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Is this "Name the Dictator" or what.

P.S. STALIN.

MARGARET THATCHER!!!1

dda 3 Apr 2008 00:47

They are letting negros vote?

All Systems Go 3 Apr 2008 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda

"We're all negroes now."

QazokRouge5 4 Apr 2008 18:51

Haha

They probably didn't realize that the other candidate was doing the same thing.

Marilyn Manson 7 Apr 2008 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda

Dead negroes too.

Which to my mind is witchcraft

Mzyxptlk 7 Apr 2008 17:53

Unexpected.

_Kila_ 7 Apr 2008 18:34

hay mz you have 1337 posts now you're cool :)

edit: maybe you should never post again to keep it that way. ever.

Mzyxptlk 7 Apr 2008 18:35

I know!

Travler 8 Apr 2008 02:45

What ever happened to good old Honest Graft?

Ste 10 Apr 2008 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
C'mon, Bobby, you need to brush up on your electoral fraud. You should be an old pro at it by this stage.

Everything is back to normal, don't worry!

All Systems Go 10 Apr 2008 10:27

About ****ing time!

G.K Zhukov 20 Apr 2008 01:21

Something is about to happen, it seems!

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/af...ina/index.html

G.K Zhukov 20 Apr 2008 13:57

I belive that would be to obvious, T&F. Not to mention it has been done all before.

Yahwe 20 Apr 2008 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
So can we just skip all that and accept the fact that the real context for this debate is that we should give African's a lot of money. Money which we stole from them in the past. This will not be a perfect solution, and will lead to short term problems for us, but in the long run you'll see that it was the right thing to do.

you want to cut out the hard bit and automatically arrive at the conclusion you would be arguing for but without doing any arguing?

a curious approach.

Hebdomad 21 Apr 2008 16:44

A thread full of links to the latest events with intermittent nonsense? Oh, why won't someone think of the children!

Ultimate Newbie 21 Apr 2008 18:25

Quote:

So can we just skip all that and accept the fact that the real context for this debate is that we should give African's a lot of money. Money which we stole from them in the past. This will not be a perfect solution, and will lead to short term problems for us, but in the long run you'll see that it was the right thing to do.

Interesting idea (o_O). Just an aside though, assuming that Britain/Empire actually did some good in the world, do those countries/communities/etc havean obligation therefore, in a world of complete balance and order, to pay Britain money?

It would suck balls (in a bad way :( ) if Australia and Canada, and the US presumably and etc all had to prop britain up - again.

;)

Mzyxptlk 21 Apr 2008 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
assuming

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

Yahwe 21 Apr 2008 19:42

the only problem with T&F's theory is that British compensation would come from Italy and they'd probably default on the payments :(

lokken 21 Apr 2008 22:34

Quote:

Well I don't what you mean by a world of complete balance and order. Its simple morality really.

Even the catholic church gave up the concept of original sin. Yes we might be responsible for the economics of today, but we're not responsible for the empire which happened before most of us on this board were born, just like we're not responsible for slavery. That doesn't mean that what happened with the empire wasn't wrong in a number of aspects. It also doesn't mean we shouldn't pour resources (not necessarily just money) into helping africa either for a number of reasons.

Mzyxptlk 21 Apr 2008 22:42

One could argue that helping people who need it is always a good thing, whether you're responsible for creating the situation they're in or not.

lokken 22 Apr 2008 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
One could argue that helping people who need it is always a good thing, whether you're responsible for creating their situation they're in or not.

I didn't say we shouldn't help people in Africa because there's plenty we're responsible for in the here and now. In fact we're probably doing much the same damage without actually 'owning' these countries. So really there's plenty in the here and now to be sorry about rather than worry about something in the past that actually, has nothing to do with me. I just think the tirade against imperialism was pointless.

Mzyxptlk 22 Apr 2008 10:23

Ah, I misread a shouldn't for a should in your last sentence.

All Systems Go 23 Apr 2008 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
Even the catholic church gave up the concept of original sin. Yes we might be responsible for the economics of today, but we're not responsible for the empire which happened before most of us on this board were born, just like we're not responsible for slavery. That doesn't mean that what happened with the empire wasn't wrong in a number of aspects. It also doesn't mean we shouldn't pour resources (not necessarily just money) into helping africa either for a number of reasons.

Well that's all well and good, but how far does it go?

Imagine if Britain (hypothetically speaking) blew the shit out of some distant third-world country for it's own reasons. Then, there was a general election and a new government was elected. Dose Britain still have an obligation to that country or does it all become irrelevent because it was the 'other' government?

lokken 23 Apr 2008 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Well that's all well and good, but how far does it go?

Imagine if Britain (hypothetically speaking) blew the shit out of some distant third-world country for it's own reasons. Then, there was a general election and a new government was elected. Dose Britain still have an obligation to that country or does it all become irrelevent because it was the 'other' government?

It's entirely subjective and I won't pretend there are arbitrary time periods. I think something that happened in a previous administration might well be related as that is within our own generation. You might think different.

But am I responsible for endorsing slavery or the evils of the empire? I've not been part of the system/generation that was responsible for either, I wasn't even alive. I am sorry that Britain took part in such acts; but I will not be made to be feel guilty for something that ultimately, had nothing to do with me.

With respect to Africa, which is what T&F's post was about, it is clearly right to help Africa - but not because of the Empire - modern economics? Yes, as quite frankly modern capitalism crushes them and we need to accommodate them to prevent tremendous suffering on the continent. Because it is generally a good thing to help people less fortunate than you? I would say certainly, but it depends on your morals. But I couldn't sit here and let an argument pass that sets out to make people feel guilty about something that wasn't to do with them (unless you are DM lol) - I didn't want to post, but I was far too irritated. We can be responsible for our own actions before we start attempting to feel guilty about something that is nothing to do with us.

Ultimate Newbie 24 Apr 2008 03:17

Quote:

With respect to Africa, which is what T&F's post was about, it is clearly right to help Africa - but not because of the Empire - modern economics? Yes, as quite frankly modern capitalism crushes them and we need to accommodate them to prevent tremendous suffering on the continent.

A better reason is that by helping them develop properly, they then can become large consumers which will help everyone's economy.

Then we can actually afford to help them develop!

:(

lokken 24 Apr 2008 05:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
A better reason is that by helping them develop properly, they then can become large consumers which will help everyone's economy.

Then we can actually afford to help them develop!

:(

A good practical reason but we're talking morality here about whether we should help.

Marilyn Manson 24 Apr 2008 11:14

Quote:

So can we just skip all that and accept the fact that the real context for this debate is that we should give African's a lot of money.

Extremist twaddle. Giving people free money? Where will it end? Next thing you'll be arguing in favour of some kind total redistribution of wealth and some kind of revolution which will destroy Capitalism and the state. And then we'll be in Utopia or something.

Ultimate Newbie 24 Apr 2008 13:39

Quote:

A good practical reason but we're talking morality here about whether we should help.

Are we? I thought we were discussing whether we should help africans ... if that's only a moral question, then that's your perspective. To me, if you're really interested in the issue, then you need to address the means to which that help might come.

Clearly, the current form of aid doesnt seem to be achieving much (though perhaps better than nothing, depending on how much you value african lives i suppose).

Thus, if Britain is in no state to actually provide any aid, then an argument that they should be providing that aid is totally pointless and a waste of time given that it cant happen.

So, what i said was still relevent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MM
Extremist twaddle. Giving people free money? Where will it end? Next thing you'll be arguing in favour of some kind total redistribution of wealth and some kind of revolution which will destroy Capitalism and the state. And then we'll be in Utopia or something.

Err, isnt the whole social security system already an excercise in re-distributing wealth and giving "free money" to those who least deserve it?

Also, it doesnt follow that the destruction of capitalism and the state will result in a Utopia. In fact, to me, it would sound quite dire, actually.