Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Alliance Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A Spore Announcement (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=200041)

Zh|l 20 May 2013 20:34

A Spore Announcement

Next round will see some familiar faces making a comeback, under the alliance name of Spore, helmed by myself and Bashar. This is NOT 1up, although some of the faces in the alliance will be very familiar to ex-1up (or even ex-Fury) members. Without Sid, there can be no 1up. Whether he makes an appearance; whether he'll use his own nick, we cannot say at this time. But even without his presence, we bring with us the ethos upon which 1up was created - the idea of an alliance built purely for playing on our own terms and pushing the boundaries within the game, whilst maintaining a role to prevent megablocking that leads to stagnation.

One of the biggest differences between us and 1up is that we will not be a full sized tag (to our current predictions), and not going for the #1 position (unless the opportunity presents itself of course). We will enter the next round with no enemies (at least if we are given that choice). The "grudges" from one round to the next is one reason for the never-ending cycle of two blocks forming to fight each other and we will not start with the intention of joining either side or participating in an overwhelming block that will lead to stagnation.

Politically for the alliance, we will be open to short-term (and long-term) deals that are in the interests of keeping stagnation at bay and with the thoughts of our members taken into account. Any discussion with myself or Bashar will be treated in the strictest confidence and will not be passed on to anyone else. (This being stated only due to how I have heard discussions are more prone to be passed along)

Our public channel is #Spore - recruitment details can be found there. If you want to help us re-raise the bar, or want to talk to us about anything else, get in touch.

Lastly, the name Spore was chosen for two reasons. One for it's relationship to that of our former alliance, to being the beginnings (and end) from that of a famours green and white mushroom, the second because GZT100 (Get Zhil Top 100) was refused.

ManiacMagic 20 May 2013 23:24

Re: A Spore Announcement

Good luck. Holla if you need anything.

Clouds 21 May 2013 00:26

Good luck, Zhil & Basher!

Cochese 21 May 2013 04:41

I fully endorse this message/product/thing

aif 21 May 2013 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochese (Post 3223560)
I fully endorse this message/product/thing

Cochese Come in and say hello @ #spore on netgamers ;-) but becarefull ;-) 10 min with them i ended up playing agian :p

Bashar 21 May 2013 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by aif (Post 3223563)
Cochese Come in and say hello @ #spore on netgamers ;-) but becarefull ;-) 10 min with them i ended up playing agian :p

You know you wanted to really!

mazzelaar 21 May 2013 15:20

Good luck broskis

Intruder 21 May 2013 15:41

Nice and good luck. I hope well see a new ally fighting tops

DeeJay 22 May 2013 01:31

Good luck Zhil & co.

Mistwraith 24 May 2013 11:16

Spore being an annoyingly addictive game on my nokia, can we expect some nice gal pics from u all ?

Good luck guys

Mek 24 May 2013 15:36

holla!

t3k 24 May 2013 17:17

Hola back!

SnowSeal 24 May 2013 20:04

Best of luck Spore!

t3k 26 May 2013 10:21

This isn't a recruitment thread. It's an alliance announcement, and should be on AD.

nelito 26 May 2013 10:24

kenny can u play a round :))

aif 26 May 2013 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3k (Post 3223666)
This isn't a recruitment thread. It's an alliance announcement, and should be on AD.

i agree it should be on AD. :/

Edge 31 May 2013 08:10

Good luck! Although if you are going to talk about anti stagnation you probably shouldn't bring up Fury or Sid for that matter.

Bashar 31 May 2013 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 3223757)
Good luck! Although if you are going to talk about anti stagnation you probably shouldn't bring up Fury or Sid for that matter.

Yes, because 1up (under Sid) did nothing but stagnate every round through excessive blocking. :rolleyes:

If you are going to be a smart arse, at least make sure that what you are saying is smart, otherwise you're just being an arse.

t3k 31 May 2013 16:31

Boom. You just got served.

Mzyxptlk 31 May 2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashar (Post 3223769)
Yes, because 1up (under Sid) did nothing but stagnate every round through excessive blocking. :rolleyes:.

He didn't use the word blocking. He said stagnation.

That said, it is kind of silly to refer to events that happened 7 or more years ago to criticize a completely different alliance that exists today.

Bashar 31 May 2013 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3223773)
He didn't use the word blocking. He said stagnation.

I also used the word stagnation, but I concede that stagnation may take other forms besides blocking, however I would like to point out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Wiki "Stagnation"
the first dominating win by a single alliance in Planetarion history

And I would suggest that an alliance showing the community a new way of playing and single-handedly dominating the game is not stagnation. You could argue it stagnated that round, but in the long run it introduced a new idea to the community that was previously considered impossible. Surely this enriches the community rather than stagnates it?

vuLgAr 31 May 2013 19:59

Sorry to hijack this thread but continuously using the word stagnation in a game which is on the decline is damn right ridiculous, that's if I understand the word correctly but I have googled it etc and im pretty sure it means "standing still"

If people are truly stagnating this game, which is damn near impossible considering the continuous decline in players then I would see it as something we should all strive at before even beginning to talk about growth.

Okay maybe I misinterpreted and you only mean stagnating that particular round, a round that has a fixed end... is that even possible?

I think the word everyone is looking for is "BORING" but shit me if browser based text games are anything but in todays gaming industry.

Bashar 31 May 2013 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuLgAr (Post 3223778)
Sorry to hijack this thread but continuously using the word stagnation in a game which is on the decline is damn right ridiculous, that's if I understand the word correctly but I have googled it etc and im pretty sure it means "standing still"

You have slightly misunderstood the meaning. Standing still is partially right for what it means, but it only covers part of it's meaning. The full meaning (in the context used here) is standing still and deteriorating into something bad. For example, if you leave a glass of water by your window for a month, it turns green and starts to smell because it has been left standing still in the wrong environment. In English, we would describe the water as being "stagnant", i.e. it has stagnated.

Essentially, stagnation means "turning bad because of standing still" rather than just "standing still".

vuLgAr 31 May 2013 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashar (Post 3223779)
Essentially, stagnation means "turning bad because of standing still" rather than just "standing still".

right cool, now can you explain to me who is stagnating the game, what they are doing to stagnate the game, and how it differs from every other round?

Bashar 31 May 2013 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuLgAr (Post 3223780)
right cool, now can you explain to me who is stagnating the game

Most of the mainstream alliances.

Quote:

what they are doing to stagnate the game
They are continuously clumping into long-term blocks that lead to a bi-polar universe and incredibly unimaginative politics. The dynamics of politics disappeared and most alliances seem to make as many agreements as they can out of fear of incoming and consequently reduce their own options and preclude them from doing anything that would be even a little risky. Basically, politics based on the fear of failure rather than the hope for success.

Quote:

and how it differs from every other round?
It doesn't, hence why we are trying to inject a different mindset.

BloodyButcher 31 May 2013 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuLgAr (Post 3223780)
right cool, now can you explain to me who is stagnating the game, what they are doing to stagnate the game, and how it differs from every other round?

You could have last round as an example imho.

vuLgAr 31 May 2013 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodyButcher (Post 3223782)
You could have last round as an example imho.

you sir can go away, you are clearly an idiot and this will be the only reply you ever get from me.

vuLgAr 31 May 2013 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashar (Post 3223781)
Most of the mainstream alliances.

I guess they are all doing it wrong then?

Quote:

They are continuously clumping into long-term blocks that lead to a bi-polar universe and incredibly unimaginative politics. The dynamics of politics disappeared and most alliances seem to make as many agreements as they can out of fear of incoming and consequently reduce their own options and preclude them from doing anything that would be even a little risky. Basically, politics based on the fear of failure rather than the hope for success.
I havn't seen one person from the app/tgv block complain about stagnation, nor did I see anyone from ND complaining the round before about it. it seems to me like it's more butthurt from the losing block than actual fact / opinion.

Quote:

It doesn't, hence why we are trying to inject a different mindset.
Good Luck with that.

RexDrax 31 May 2013 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuLgAr (Post 3223784)

I havn't seen one person from the app/tgv block complain about stagnation, nor did I see anyone from ND complaining the round before about it. it seems to me like it's more butthurt from the losing block than actual fact / opinion.

Good Luck with that.

Well maybe I can answer your question, from TGVs perspective we had an agreement with App to help each other if a block targets us, we had a 10+ day fort avoidance with CT to manage our incoming and a NAP for the whole round with ODDR. We were engaged in a war with ND/Fang initially and then ND/Fang/CT so the agreements were set up to manage our incomings and to concentrate on our enemy.

Unfortunately App/TGV took such a tremendous lead that ND/Fang couldn't stand up to us and so they got more alliances to help them. TGV took a beating but we kept on fighting.

Did we think we stagnated the round...possibly but on paper ND/Fang vs App/TGV was a pretty fair fight, we just managed to get a huge lead early on and kept it. Even when CT joined them we still were able to hold our own since the block could only land on us if they all hit us, if only 2 of them did then they couldnt.

According to the PA community, they felt we stagnated the round and wanted for us to turn on our ally Apprime. We refused because all that would do is hand the win to some other alliance so why should we give the win to someone else after App/TGV fought hard for it.

Anyways if you are wanting to pursue this further I would suggest making a new topic since at this point I would say your straying from the original intent of this thread.

vuLgAr 31 May 2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexDrax (Post 3223786)
Anyways if you are wanting to pursue this further I would suggest making a new topic since at this point I would say your straying from the original intent of this thread.

Im not straying from the topic in any sense, there are claims here that stagnation is ruining the game and all current mainstream ally's are causing it, this is slander at best and from what I can infer contains not only fallacy but bullshit buzzwords at an unacceptable rate.

I did apologize for hijacking the thread but when it's only moral grounding is to belittle everyone who has ever played in / ran an alliance I don't see the need for me to open a new thread

Quote:

According to the PA community
Im the PA community, You are the PA community, a one sided opinion is not an entire opinion.

Quote:

rexdrax
Sorry to disappoint you pal but you didn't ruin the round for anyone apart from the losers

Axis_WLF 31 May 2013 22:29

Oooooo this makes me want to play again!

Bashar 31 May 2013 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuLgAr (Post 3223787)
Im not straying from the topic in any sense, there are claims here that stagnation is ruining the game and all current mainstream ally's are causing it, this is slander at best and from what I can infer contains not only fallacy but bullshit buzzwords at an unacceptable rate.

No need to get all up tight and abusive. Obviously, what I have said is my/our opinion and you are free to have your own opinion on the matter. However, a little lesson in manners and discussion would be useful for you as you are clearly incapable of respecting other people's opinions if they differ from your own, so here are a few pointers:

1. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is entitled to have their opinion respected.

2. Discussion is about not only disagreeing with opposing opinions, but also about providing evidence and reasoning as to why you disagree and also the same for why you hold the opinion you do. This should be done in a friendly and respectful manner.

3. Flatly rejecting other people's opinions with nothing but abuse and profanity is not only extremely rude, but also shows a massive degree of arrogance.

4. if you follow the above steps, you will find that not only do people pay more attention to your views, but also that they will not consider you to be an abusive, ignorant trolling fool. It really isn't hard and it is just basic manners.

If you want me to respond to your points and further explain my opinions, I am happy to do so once you start showing some respect to others. When you started posting in this thread I went out of my way to help you understand what I had said and to properly answer your questions, yet all you do in return is disrespect my views. Have a think on that before posting again.

Mzyxptlk 31 May 2013 22:35

Quote:

Alliances don't play with the goal "making PA a fun game for everyone". Alliances play to win. That's not limited to just getting #1 alliance rank. Only a few alliances are in the running for that in any given round. People in all alliances want to do well. Sometimes the goal is getting a top 100 planet, or a top 3 galaxy rank or top 5 alliance rank.

Sometimes, in the course of attempting to achieve those goals, they take actions that, as a side effect, harm the long term development of PA. Overblocking is an example. Ruthlessly exiling newbies or people in bad alliances is another. That's not "wrong" in the "1 + 1 = 3" sense of the word, because it helps people achieve their goals. It's not wrong in the "stealing is wrong" sense, either, because it's not banned by the EULA. It could be wrong in the "don't use swear words in front of children" sense, but I bet you're right: it's probably mostly the victims who think that, in order to make themselves feel good and the other side look bad (either intentionally and cynically, or just self-deluding).

That said, I don't think we're dealing with a lack of moral fortitude here. If you give people with guns a million bucks every time they shoot someone, you're going to see your murder rate go through the roof, no matter how ethical people are (pretending to be). In this analogy, you'd solve the problem by taking the guns away, but I think that the temptation to be a ruthless **** is caused by aspects of the game mechanics that are inseparable from the core of what makes PA PA.

That's unfortunate, because (if correct), that means you can't fix PA. It's either a dog-eat-dog-fest for assholes, or a yawntastic sim-planet-unicorn candy land.

Zh|l 31 May 2013 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axis_WLF (Post 3223788)

Hi Axis :P

Axis_WLF 31 May 2013 23:38

Well howdy Zh|l!

vuLgAr 1 Jun 2013 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashar (Post 3223789)
No need to get all up tight and abusive.

Im sorry that you assumed a reply to rexdrax was in anyway directed at you. ofc there was profanity in the post im "vulgar" but if you think that was in anyway directed at you personally you are quite wrong.

Quote:

1. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is entitled to have their opinion respected.
ofc

Quote:

2. Discussion is about not only disagreeing with opposing opinions, but also about providing evidence and reasoning as to why you disagree and also the same for why you hold the opinion you do. This should be done in a friendly and respectful manner.
I have not discussed anything afaik, I have questioned.

Quote:

3. Flatly rejecting other people's opinions with nothing but abuse and profanity is not only extremely rude, but also shows a massive degree of arrogance.
questioning and rejecting are not the same

Quote:

4. if you follow the above steps, you will find that not only do people pay more attention to your views, but also that they will not consider you to be an abusive, ignorant trolling fool. It really isn't hard and it is just basic manners.
I have not been abusive in any of my posts directed towards anyone, I have used profanity in a reply to rexdrax in quite the correct context as far as im concerned.

Quote:

If you want me to respond to your points and further explain my opinions, I am happy to do so once you start showing some respect to others. When you started posting in this thread I went out of my way to help you understand what I had said and to properly answer your questions, yet all you do in return is disrespect my views. Have a think on that before posting again.
again if you are upset by the terms in which I replied to rexdrax by using language that offends you id rather you not reply atal..

aif 1 Jun 2013 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexDrax (Post 3223786)

thanks, i think that would be a proper idea ;-)

btw hello Axis, stop by #spore ;-) on netgamers.

pig 3 Jun 2013 10:47

Good luck, I signed up last round and then forgot to login. I hope you get further than me!

Zh|l 3 Jun 2013 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig (Post 3223840)
Good luck, I signed up last round and then forgot to login. I hope you get further than me!

pig! come on IRC!

ManiacMagic 5 Jun 2013 12:33

Quote:

Mmmm not sure we ever complain too much about stagnation ... we always take a nice spanking and always play to have fun and train new members. Some rounds we wind up on top some we dont. But the past round we have won we have been dropped down from the nr1 spot and had to climb back up so that might be why.

mazzelaar 12 Jun 2013 10:27

Stagnation, dominance and boredom is full of win.

Why else would I be married?

gzambo 12 Jun 2013 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzelaar (Post 3223877)

masochist?

DeeJay 12 Jun 2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzelaar (Post 3223877)

I agree about marriage being stagnation and dominance; but boredom? HELL NO!

Mzyxptlk 12 Jun 2013 15:08

How can stagnation be anything but boring?

Mala 12 Jun 2013 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3223880)
How can stagnation be anything but boring?

it cant.

KillGhost 16 Aug 2013 12:22

Hi all!

Forest 16 Aug 2013 12:30

Welcome back KillGhost

KillGhost 16 Aug 2013 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest (Post 3224878)
Welcome back KillGhost

HeimdallR 18 Aug 2013 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axis_WLF (Post 3223788)

Don't go there , this is a game being played by barely 300 planets each round, rest of it is just cannon fodder. Nothing to see here move along please.

Mzyxptlk 18 Aug 2013 17:36

There are few games that have a player base that's actively discouraging other people from playing it. It's really quite amazing.