Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Get on up :( (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193386)

Deffeh 25 Dec 2006 11:24

Get on up :(

He better hope he's got soul now :(

Minty 25 Dec 2006 12:43

Re: Get on up :(

R.i.p :(

Madina 25 Dec 2006 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
:(

KoeN 25 Dec 2006 19:12

RIP.

(i never liked his work though.)

pablissimo 25 Dec 2006 20:25

I'm truly saddened by this gent's passing.

Altogether now, LIVING IN AMERRRRRRRRAICAAAAA

milo 25 Dec 2006 21:21

You know how bitter and twisted reactionary lowlifes used to write to the daily mail 'outraged middle england' etc, well i think they've taken up residence on the bbc's HYS section

Quote:

James Brown. Over-rated musician and wife beater.

Simon Davenport, Norwich, United Kingdom

Well said. I'm always amazed at the collective amnesia that overcomes people when someone dies. The mans music meant nothing to me. The two things I'll remember about him are drug abuse and wife beating.

Stuart Kelly, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

James Brown was an irrelevance to British culture and entertainment.Most people I know say "who was he?"
The BBC and Sky are both headlining with his death as though we should almost be planning a state funeral. A poor singer and representative of declining values.

Mark Rookes, Ely

Alessio 25 Dec 2006 21:35

Didn't he die in 1991 ?! :(

Bashar 25 Dec 2006 22:32

There is legends, and then there is LEGENDS. James Brown was a god when it came to music. I rarely look at the news and see myself saddened by someones death, but on this occasion, sadness I feel.

Rest in peace James Brown, you brought more than music to people, your passing is a huge loss to more people than you could ever know. Respect.

Phang 25 Dec 2006 23:11

Damn you, Soulwax.

Demon Dave 26 Dec 2006 00:03

Papa's got a brand new bag*

*It's 6ft long, black and has a zip running all the way down it

Dante Hicks 26 Dec 2006 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbc quote posted by milo
James Brown was an irrelevance to British culture and entertainment.Most people I know say "who was he?"
The BBC and Sky are both headlining with his death as though we should almost be planning a state funeral. A poor singer and representative of declining values.

Mark Rookes, Ely

I was never the biggest James Brown fan but the idea that most people wouldn't know who he was seems a bit unlikely.

Having said that, I was interested that the James Brown story was the top story on the BBC website for quite a while over the British raid in Basra (which now seems to be top).

JonnyBGood 26 Dec 2006 04:59

I always enjoyed his music but what I'll remember him most for was his substance abuse and philandering. An inspiration to us all.

dda 26 Dec 2006 17:46

When I was a young man, James Brown and His Famous Flames would come to Stockton for a yearly concert. It was always good for at least one stabbing in the audience. Outraged townies would mutter about what happened when "that element" go together. My parents (yes it was that long ago) would not let me go see James Brown as they felt that Negros, carried away by jungle beats, would, no doubt, stab or beat me. They were probably right but it wasn't as if I wasn't in great danger of that reaction at school from my teachers anyway.

All Systems Go 26 Dec 2006 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
When I was a young man, James Brown and His Famous Flames would come to Stockton for a yearly concert. It was always good for at least one stabbing in the audience. Outraged townies would mutter about what happened when "that element" go together. My parents (yes it was that long ago) would not let me go see James Brown as they felt that Negros, carried away by jungle beats, would, no doubt, stab or beat me. They were probably right but it wasn't as if I wasn't in great danger of that reaction at school from my teachers anyway.

You were taught by Negros?

R.I.P. James Brown.

dda 26 Dec 2006 19:01

[quote=All Systems Go]You were taught by Negros?
QUOTE]

I had several teachers of the African-American persuasion.

Mostly math and science.

I also wanted to take History of Watermellons and Fried Chicken but I had a class conflict.

KoeN 30 Dec 2006 16:53

L.A. Style - James Brown Is Dead

let's dance! :up:

(i can't believe this song was released in 1991 already!)

edit: oh wait alessio already cracked this joke. :(

jerome 30 Dec 2006 19:46

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTaDk_P91ao is enough to make me like the man a little

demiGOD 30 Dec 2006 19:53

:) That made me smile.

RIP Mr. Brown.