Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Resources (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196828)

Mzyxptlk 12 Aug 2008 21:18

Resources

I suggest removing 2 of the 3 resource types. It's not like roid management is any use, you're capping roughly as much of each type anyway. Further, it'll go a long way to making the stats more readable by removing needless complication.

MiniMoose 12 Aug 2008 21:21

Re: Resources

Seconded! Makes no difference at all having it. It's random useless extra annoyance. The only thing it serves atm is giving etd a racial bonus with the trading. Big deal :P

Mzyxptlk 12 Aug 2008 21:55

That's actually something I hadn't thought of, but I'm sure we can find something to replace that particular bonus with. An alert bonus, for example.

HaNzI 12 Aug 2008 22:05

Yeah remove it!
its actually a very new-player friendly suggestion!

Having 3 types of resources is useless now that eonium is not used for fuel.

vuLgAr 12 Aug 2008 22:37

The 3 resource's don't seem necessary imo also but if you are just looking at ways to simplify the game then why not get rid of the multi-targeting? Surely this must make it really difficult for a new player? having no clue what t1/t2 means not to mention that on most occasions a team up is needed to fully cover any target, at least with single targeting there was a better chance of landing solo.

HaNzI 12 Aug 2008 23:00

multitargetting is great imo!
but the stats themself could be made easier if there was less ships and t2/t3 has 100% the same effect as t1

harder to find a balance but so much easier

Mzyxptlk 12 Aug 2008 23:19

Unlike multiple resources, multi-targetting actually changes the game in a rather fundamental fashion.

HaNzI 12 Aug 2008 23:24

well it gives you the option to have less ships and still maintain a good tight fleet :)

neroon 13 Aug 2008 07:56

played since round 3, really have to admit that I enjoyed playing PA alot more when it was without multi-targeting. every race had its weak spots, less heavy teamups, etc. I know that there aint many ppl out there that share my opinion about this :P but it really rocked imo heh. now its alot more harder to hit ppl and find a suitable targets. if ure talking about making game easier for new players then losing the multi-tgt thingy would help alot imo.

Heartless 13 Aug 2008 12:51

Actually resources have changed. Ultimately "scans", "Population", "ships" are also resources in this game. So simplifying m/c/e to "money" (or "raw materials") would be an interesting step, especially with looking forward to some really good trade market concept.

[DW]Entropy 13 Aug 2008 13:54

Can someone clear up why some races ships are E heavy, some C heavy etc. I was under the impression you minded more E asteroids if u were zik (for example) and built more E refineries. Are you saying you'd just have one refinery, one roid, and one resource?

Wouldnt the gal funds become a bit easy to manipulate? theres no longer the need for a balance in the fund anymore.

just ideas trying to figure out if i like it or not.

MiniMoose 13 Aug 2008 13:54

You could, if simplifying it to raw rescources/materials etc. Then open up new options.

Instead of the current refineries, you could have for instance a system where scans "use" crystal as an example, and by having crystal refineries your raw material costs for scans are reduced by X % per refinery, due to the more efficient refining process.

Ship production is done using Metals, and so metal refineries can reduce Raw material costs of ships by X % etc. etc.

It would open up more dynamic use of cons than just The few res labs then spamming FC/Dist etc as well as give some more options to scanners. Do you go all amps, do you try to reduce the costs. Does an alliance try have one or two high amp scanners for the disters and the rest a balanced cheaper scan setup.

I'm sure there could be a lot more done with this, but thought I would throw the idea out there while it popped into my head.

MiniMoose 13 Aug 2008 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy (Post 3153381)
Can someone clear up why some races ships are E heavy, some C heavy etc. I was under the impression you minded more E asteroids if u were zik (for example) and built more E refineries. Are you saying you'd just have one refinery, one roid, and one resource?

Wouldnt the gal funds become a bit easy to manipulate? theres no longer the need for a balance in the fund anymore.

just ideas trying to figure out if i like it or not.

My understanding was not to only have one per race, but just one. So you have Raw Materials mined from asteroids.

[DW]Entropy 13 Aug 2008 14:00

and also if you're gonna suggest that then consider this:

Asteroids have a lifespan. You can only mine so much out of it. How much you mine could depend on your refining process (as mentioned by minimoose).

This would make things a bit more interesting as people could be capping potentially worthless asteroids, whereas others could be capping priceless roids due to the fact that the previous "owner" didn't have very evolved forms of mining.

Mzyxptlk 13 Aug 2008 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMoose (Post 3153383)
My understanding was not to only have one per race, but just one. So you have Raw Materials mined from asteroids.

Yes.