Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marketing Gimmicks. (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193752)

Deffeh 7 Feb 2007 23:44

Marketing Gimmicks.

What was the last marketing gimmick you fell for? Id always like to think im immune to them, but sadly this isnt the case.

For example, the last one i fell for was just a few days ago when i was in Tesco. I am trying to 'eat healthier' and all that but rarely buy any of the 'healthy living' crap because im too concerned about losing flavour, etc.

I went to buy a bottle of Salad Cream, and saw that there was a 'Light Salad Cream'. I nearly shrugged it off until i saw (also by Heinz) a 'EXTRA light Salad cream'. Then i got all :( and thought about how fattening salad cream must be and bought the 'light' one as a compromise. It was only when i got home i realised how obviously suckered i had just been.

Discuss

All Systems Go 7 Feb 2007 23:51

Re: Marketing Gimmicks.

I bought Hollowful of Hate by the Smiths in a 2 for £12 deal (along with Oasis - the Masterplan) and found it was a compilation of session performances. I was disapponted, especially seeing as I could have bought Welcome to the Beautiful South by the Beautiful South and have spent the same amount (it was in a different deal).

Deffeh 8 Feb 2007 00:10

wrong, the beautiful south are excellent.

SYMM 8 Feb 2007 00:12

'were' :)

Deffeh 8 Feb 2007 00:13

Deep, so deep,
The number one, i hope to reap
Depends upon, the tears you weep
So cry, lover, cry

CrashTester 8 Feb 2007 11:38

I got suckered by those TV quiz show things. Just once mind, never again.

It was late and after a few drinks, me and the mrs got home and switched on the TV. We had never seen one of these TV quiz things before and after watching for a few minutes and realising that we KNEW the answer that noone else seemed to we rang in. We rang in 3 or 4 times before realsing the sting...

..Not all calls get through and you are billed £1.50 for each call regardless!

The Mrs wanted to call in some more but I wasnt having it. We got caught out and stung for about a fiver with nothing to show for it.

Madina 8 Feb 2007 11:53

I get drawn in to near enough anything that says 3 for 2.

I don't usually buy the offer but something triggers in my head and screams BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN

Dante Hicks 8 Feb 2007 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by deffeh
wrong, the beautiful south are excellent.

Agreed, although I don't think 'Welcome' is their best album.

Having said that, I've no idea what people are doing buying CDs linked to major labels anyway (I know this album was originally published by an indie).

As for myself, most of my money goes on drugs and gambling. Both are marketing phenomena in and on themselves, but there are obviously legal restrictions on direct advertising of either. I probably fall for marketing gimmicks all the time but most of the time I fail to notice. My choice of food does sometimes include 3 for 2-esque nonsense, but I usually calculate the cheapest way of getting the maximum food mass for my cash.

CrashTester 8 Feb 2007 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madina
I get drawn in to near enough anything that says 3 for 2.

I don't usually buy the offer but something triggers in my head and screams BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN

3 for 2 offers are usually a bargain if you use that product normally and have the money to spend up front for what could be a month or two's supply of said product.

furball 8 Feb 2007 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTester
3 for 2 offers are usually a bargain if you use that product normally and have the money to spend up front for what could be a month or two's supply of said product.

Yeah - especially toiletries. My hair gel's always on a 3 for 2 offer, which is handy :)

Tomkat 8 Feb 2007 16:24

I haven't bought much recently.

Alcohol is constantly marketed in enticing ways which we often don't realise, so I expect I was suckered in by that at the weekend.

Oh! I do have one!

I bought some Nurofen the other day. I only bought it because it had been advertised and I recognised the name. It was about £1.50 or so. I told my sister (medical student) and she rolled her eyes and said "You know it's exactly the same as cheap own-brand ibuprofen, except with a sugar coating and an N on it, don't you?".

So the next time I go in I'll just buy some 30p Boots own-brand ibuprofen!

Mitc 8 Feb 2007 16:47

Three for the price of Two at Wine Rack .... even now when I have almost stopped drinking completely I can't just buy one bottle at a time.

I noticed that Tesco are now offering a BOGOF on chicken and turkey ...

SYMM 9 Feb 2007 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat

I bought some Nurofen the other day. I only bought it because it had been advertised and I recognised the name. It was about £1.50 or so. I told my sister (medical student) and she rolled her eyes and said "You know it's exactly the same as cheap own-brand ibuprofen, except with a sugar coating and an N on it, don't you?".

The sugar-coating is so good though!

Mistwraith 9 Feb 2007 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitc
Three for the price of Two at Wine Rack .... even now when I have almost stopped drinking completely I can't just buy one bottle at a time.

I work at Threshers
All wines at wine rack, haddows, thresher,basically every store in the first quench group went up by 50p per bottle some by £1 last year, we were all told to say that it was due to duties going up in the budget.
1 month later they started their 3 for 2 offer.

You ARE being conned.

Tomkat 9 Feb 2007 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistwraith
I work at Threshers
All wines at wine rack, haddows, thresher,basically every store in the first quench group went up by 50p per bottle some by £1 last year, we were all told to say that it was due to duties going up in the budget.
1 month later they started their 3 for 2 offer.

You ARE being conned.

Unless the third bottle of wine costs less than £1, it's still a good deal.

Stoom 9 Feb 2007 13:30

I bought the new Norah Jones album yesterday for €16,99 because it had a bonus CD along, where the original was only €9,99.

CrashTester 12 Feb 2007 12:02

man you got suckered twice!! Not only did they get you to buy a nora jones album with marketting trickery but they made you spend more to buy two!

Hebdomad 12 Feb 2007 15:05

I realised the affect of this mind control advertising malarkey a while back. Now I hate everything regardless of pretty much everything. It's a good system.

Demon Dave 13 Feb 2007 03:39

Today I needed to buy some mouthwash. I could've bought into the marketing peoples game and bought Listerene, but no, I bought Tesco Value Mouthwash instead! Fight the power man!

demiGOD 13 Feb 2007 08:41

I paid $10 to watch "The Good Shepherd" only to find out that the only cool scenes in the movie were the scenes they showed on the previews.

Alessio 13 Feb 2007 08:44

My closet looks like a Diesel and Tommy Hilfiger commercial
I even got Diesel shoes and a bodywarmer...

But it looks soo good on me =)

Stoom 13 Feb 2007 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTester
man you got suckered twice!! Not only did they get you to buy a nora jones album with marketting trickery but they made you spend more to buy two!

Valentine's gift :(

s|k 13 Feb 2007 12:24

I bought one of those Blackberry Perls. I clicked on a banner ad on a website to a flash presentation of this phone. I was wow'ed. Then I bought the phone for $120 and $100 a month service (for a second phone for my wife) and it took about three months and $500 later for me to realize what a piece of shit phone it was. :(

CrashTester 13 Feb 2007 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoom
Valentine's gift :(

Man, you got suckered three times!! Valentines is just a marketing gimmick...poor you :(

Tomkat 13 Feb 2007 13:16

I like how two threads called "Marketing Gimmicks" and "Valentine's Day" are side by side, at the top of the forum.

You just can't plan this stuff.

Mighteh 13 Feb 2007 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by demiGOD
I paid $10 to watch "The Good Shepherd" only to find out that the only cool scenes in the movie were the scenes they showed on the previews.

welcome to the hollywood way... last ten or so movies ive seen are described by the above :(

Mistwraith 13 Feb 2007 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I haven't bought much recently.

Alcohol is constantly marketed in enticing ways which we often don't realise, so I expect I was suckered in by that at the weekend.

Oh! I do have one!

they are about 25p in superdrug.. but pay the extra and get the long lasting ones .. they are actually better and do last out.

Tomkat 13 Feb 2007 20:32

Superdrug is for common people :(

Dante Hicks 13 Feb 2007 21:00

I get my hair dye from Superdrug. It was recommended by Marilyn Manson himself.

Tomkat 13 Feb 2007 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

Some of us don't have enough hair to be able to use hair dye :mad:

_Kila_ 13 Feb 2007 22:04

I could dye my hair some cool weird colour, but that'll make me look more weird than riddiculous :(

Mighteh 13 Feb 2007 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

yes... yes...
thats a man who's advice you want to follow, down to the hair color :D