Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "There's always more than it says" (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190271)

meglamaniac 21 Mar 2006 20:45

"There's always more than it says"

Those were the wise words of my mate as we made our way back from uni in his car, with the petrol warning light fixed firmly on. He started to look a little worried as the engine began coughing as we climbed a hill. We all looked worried as it juddered down the other side. Everyone sighed in resignation as it bunny-hopped to a stall about 50 meters from a roundabout.

After bumping it up the kerb, we packed him off to the nearest petrol station (a 35 minute round trip, walking) to buy a can and some petrol while we guarded it from marauding chavs. We then had to try and get the petrol in the tank, as the funnel supplied with the crappy cheap can didn't get past the safety flap - muchos petrol everywhere.

Only once we got the damn thing started again did he mention that he'd been driving it with the light on for a week and a half, which was just as well for him, as we'd have left him if he said that to begin with.

Tit.

Flavius 21 Mar 2006 22:05

Re: "There's always more than it says"

The low petrol warning on the car I'm driving lit up on my way home today too. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Demon Dave 21 Mar 2006 22:25

My car doesn't have a light to warn me about petrol :(

roadrunner_0 21 Mar 2006 23:04

our car tells us how many miles worth of diesel we have left, which is nice

KaneED 21 Mar 2006 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
our car tells us how many miles worth of diesel we have left, which is nice

Not very useful if your car takes norma petrol though :rolleyes:

Tomkat 22 Mar 2006 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
After bumping it up the kerb, we packed him off to the nearest petrol station (a 35 minute round trip, walking) to buy a can and some petrol while we guarded it from marauding chavs. We then had to try and get the petrol in the tank, as the funnel supplied with the crappy cheap can didn't get past the safety flap - muchos petrol everywhere.

Did anyone else have Mad Max style images of this in their head, with punk style people riding round trying to pinch the car/contents?

Well I did!

PS horn less lymphoma jokes please :(

Ste 22 Mar 2006 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavius
The low petrol warning on the car I'm driving lit up on my way home today too. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

mine too :o

i think i get about 50 miles or so out of it once the light comes on. haven't dared go more than that anyway.

meglamaniac 22 Mar 2006 00:43

Well I figure it like this on mine:
When the light comes on, I can get about 50 litres into the tank.
The car manual says I have a 60 litre tank.
Therefore, the tank has a 10 litre reserve.

Which, in short, means I should be able to go about 90 miles on reserve fuel. However, I just tend to wait for the light to come on to fill up, so the furthest I've gone is about 30 miles down the motorway to be taken up the arse at a service station forecourt.

Flavius 22 Mar 2006 00:50

With the mercedes I could do some 120km on reserve at decent speed. The Golf I'm using now doesn't have a screen thing so I didn't risk doing more than 40km :(

It's a 1.4 petrol too, which consumes too much at the speeds I drive (160-180km/h)

NEWSBOT3 22 Mar 2006 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
so the furthest I've gone is about 30 miles down the motorway to be taken up the arse at a service station forecourt.

couldnt you have arranged that activity closer to home ?

meglamaniac 22 Mar 2006 01:50

Nothing like a bit of dogging to take the boredom out of a long journey!