Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   World Leaders That Don't Suck (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186070)

acropolis 19 Jun 2005 20:41

World Leaders That Don't Suck

Just curious what chiefs of state y'all think are doing their jobs right, or close to it. You don't have to agree with them on every issue, but of the 200ish out there, which ones do you think others should be looking at to learn how to do their jobs right?

My list:

Yeah.

Hence why I'm curious; sometimes I feel like if every world leader was dragged out and shot and replaced by a citizen at random, we'd be a hell of a lot better off. But that can't be right.

Vaio 19 Jun 2005 20:43

Re: World Leaders That Don't Suck

Can I add no-one else to your list ?

Squidly 19 Jun 2005 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavius
acropolis for world leader!!!

seriously, you know jack shit about being a world leader, and you're criticizing their job? way to go champ!

Surely there has to be more to being a world leader than throwing bombs at iraqi hospitals and bashing france to high heaven?

Just a thought =p

acropolis 19 Jun 2005 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavius
acropolis for world leader!!!

seriously, you know jack shit about being a world leader, and you're criticizing their job? way to go champ!

yes i think the situation could only be improved by assuming that everyone who hasn't ever been a chief of state has no worthwhile input on anything.

PS: this thread could have subtitled "maybe we are being too critical/setting standards too high"

but any way, back on topic.

Jester 19 Jun 2005 21:10

I think I'd replace 'do their jobs right?' with 'are as cool as hollywood celebrities?'.

And then we can all remember that oh, yeah, being a 'world leader' isn't* a popularity contest.

*Whereas, say, getting there usually is. Unless you're Musharraf.

All Systems Go 19 Jun 2005 21:12

Fidel Castro for world President!

But seriously, every leader is pretty shit. One of the main problems I think is that the world is finel balanced and so an individual leader taking the morally valid path (depending on what you think that is) is going to find that another country is going to start expoliting where you were previously gaining an advantage. this would in turn lead to you being voted out as these morally-valid economic policies would have a negative impact on your country. So unless all the worlds leaders decide to stop being shit at the same time they don't really have muc of an option if they want to maintain power.

Nodrog 19 Jun 2005 21:13

The guy running sealand is doing a decent job.

Phang 19 Jun 2005 21:14

i can see why we think of GD as being such a meeting of minds with platitudes this meaningful.

Marilyn Manson 19 Jun 2005 21:14

Hu Jintao. He keeps the Asian horde under control.

Deepflow 19 Jun 2005 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Fidel Castro for world President!

But seriously, every leader is pretty shit. One of the main problems I think is that the world is finel balanced and so an individual leader taking the morally valid path (depending on what you think that is) is going to find that another country is going to start expoliting where you were previously gaining an advantage. this would in turn lead to you being voted out as these morally-valid economic policies would have a negative impact on your country. So unless all the worlds leaders decide to stop being shit at the same time they don't really have muc of an option if they want to maintain power.

i was going to write something like this, so im just going to say:

qft

Deepflow 19 Jun 2005 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepflow
i was going to write something like this, so im just going to say:

qft

oh, i can add something,

its all capitalism's fault. Though some might think that a bit too obvious to put

NEWSBOT3 19 Jun 2005 21:20

deepflow is a skateboard anarchist :(

Cannon_Fodder 19 Jun 2005 21:22

Politicians do what is good, not what is best.

Deepflow 19 Jun 2005 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
deepflow is a skateboard anarchist :(

just because i dislike capitalism and don't write essays about it like dante and t&f doesnt make me a sk8er anarchist :(

or does it? :(

s|k 19 Jun 2005 21:27

I think we need a world leader who unites people, who unites countries, who brings together different populations so that we work together somehow to accomplish our goals. And what are our goals? I wish we also had a world leader who would set some serious goals for the world. Something idealistic, like the abolishment of the illicit international arms trade, the end of third world debt, saving Africa, etc. Give us a timetable. I don't know. At one point I thought Kofi Annan was a decent fellow until that oil-for-food program scandal that implicated his son.

Marilyn Manson 19 Jun 2005 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
I think we need a world leader who unites people, who unites countries, who brings together different populations so that we work together somehow to accomplish our goals.

George Bush.

Vaio 19 Jun 2005 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
I think we need a world leader who unites people, who unites countries, who brings together different populations so that we work together somehow to accomplish our goals. And what are our goals? I wish we also had a world leader who would set some serious goals for the world. Something idealistic, like the abolishment of the illicit international arms trade, the end of third world debt, saving Africa, etc.

Oh f'k, you mean Bono don't you ?

Weeks 19 Jun 2005 21:36

I always thought John Peel (RIP) would have made a great British dictator.
Nelson Mandela seems a amiable sort of chap. Winnie can stay well away though.

G.K Zhukov 19 Jun 2005 22:06

Hugo Chavez.

Beats the rest by miles.

Madina 19 Jun 2005 23:17

I would post my opinion but i cba to read all the 'your such a prick' replies and rep.

Dante Hicks 19 Jun 2005 23:18

It's very difficult to be a "leader" of anything, especially in the current system, and not be a ****.

If forced, I'd say Chavez and Castro are probably better than others (given the context they're in), but if we were applying standards of justice normally applied to the citizenry, they'd still both be doing some jail time.

I am Idler 19 Jun 2005 23:40

Conan the Barbarian

acropolis 20 Jun 2005 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
I think I'd replace 'do their jobs right?' with 'are as cool as hollywood celebrities?'.

And then we can all remember that oh, yeah, being a 'world leader' isn't* a popularity contest.

tbh, Pervez topped off my list with a D+. He's determined on turning a country that is wildly undemocratic, forces 4 year-olds to marry their 79 year old uncles, and is hellbent on murdering their neighbors into a country that is wildly undemocratic, is hellbent on murdering their neighbors, and doesn't force young girls to marry their uncles.

Here is one place where we can honestly say 'could be worse'
Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Fidel Castro for world President!.

What is it about Castro that you think other world leaders should emulate?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
The guy running sealand is doing a decent job.

What is it about him that you think other world leaders should emulate?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Hu Jintao. He keeps the Asian horde under control.

but for leaders outside asia. should vcente fox be keeping the NA Caucasian/Native population horde under control? Or is that more of a region-specific quality?
Quote:

George Bush.

What is it about him that you think other world leaders should emulate? (in context, it seemed his world-uniting skills...)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weeks
I always thought John Peel (RIP) would have made a great British dictator.
Nelson Mandela seems a amiable sort of chap. Winnie can stay well away though.

What is it about him that you think other world leaders should emulate?
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Hugo Chavez.

Beats the rest by miles.

Why Hugo?

I don't know anything about him except that he beat out one coup that was completely 100% unsponsored by the U.S. government and got re-elected.

dda 20 Jun 2005 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidly
Surely there has to be more to being a world leader than throwing bombs at iraqi hospitals and bashing france to high heaven?

Just a thought =p

You may be right but then this has been so much fun we are reluctant to move on though throwing bombs at Iran and bashing Germany also sounds nice.

Kurashima 20 Jun 2005 02:04

I dunno, but right now, for sheer comedy value in "Setting your countries international reputation back to how it was in the Dark Ages", youd struggle to find better than Parvez Musharrak.

"Whats that you say? We have an international Heroine? A woman who was gang raped by order of a local council, and who became an icon of our country, showing how whilst these things go on, we are taking steps to move forward and bring our justice system into line with that of the west? We cant be having this, lets persuade her subtly that she shouldnt leave the country for a tour of the US. And if the insolent bitch doesnt understand that subtletly, lets take her passport away and place her under virtual house address. I mean, lets face it, she probably deserved it for being part of a loser family anyway".

:rolleyes:

Tomkat 20 Jun 2005 02:24

What about the Dalai Lama (sp?) ?

The thing is, the media loves negative stories. So we hear all about the awful things that world leaders have supposedly done. Does this mean that if we DON'T hear about them, they're doing a pretty good job?

I know nothing about Japanese politics. Or Australian. I couldn't name any Scandinavian world leaders. Or South American. Does this mean they're shit, or just that they're not doing anything that's so bad that it's worth writing about?

Dace 20 Jun 2005 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester

*cough* Ronald Regan *cough*

hyfe 20 Jun 2005 09:12

Quote:

Hugo Chavez.

Beats the rest by miles.

Jester 20 Jun 2005 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by acropolis
tbh, Pervez topped off my list with a D+. He's determined on turning a country that is wildly undemocratic, forces 4 year-olds to marry their 79 year old uncles, and is hellbent on murdering their neighbors into a country that is wildly undemocratic, is hellbent on murdering their neighbors, and doesn't force young girls to marry their uncles.

I think Musharraf scores points simply for being one of the few leaders that seems to be more sane than his consituency. The whole 'if it weren't for him, the fundies would have nukes!' line works nicely in his favor as well.

I bet there are some jealous africans who wish they had fundies to make them look good.

MrL_JaKiri 20 Jun 2005 13:35

Quote:

Just curious what chiefs of state y'all think are doing their jobs right, or close to it. You don't have to agree with them on every issue, but of the 200ish out there, which ones do you think others should be looking at to learn how to do their jobs right?

Your question is so vague as to be meaningless.

"Hey guys, who's best at doing "stuff"?"

What do you mean by "their jobs"? What do you consider "their jobs" to be?

ceres 20 Jun 2005 13:51

John Howards my man.
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer Settings

acropolis 20 Jun 2005 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Your question is so vague as to be meaningless.

"Hey guys, who's best at doing "stuff"?"

What do you mean by "their jobs"? What do you consider "their jobs" to be?

Ummm yeah, that's basically what my post is asking.

What should they be doing?

To figure out what it means to be a great leader, do you start out with the qualities you would want, and look to see which leaders have them, or do you start by looking at which leaders you think are doing a good job/have made their countries better/respect, and see what qualities they have?

I don't know. All I know is that I don't like the qualities possessed by our leaders and I don't think they are making things better. Above people have argued that being leader forces you to be a douche. I would contend that being a douche helps you on the road to becoming a leader. So apparently, I don't even have cause and effect ordered. Or perhaps correlation? Could there be some third force out there causing people to both become leaders and incompetent pricks?

Or maybe not being king of the world causes the average person to become bitter and hypercritical. Or maybe it just causes me to become bitter and hypercritical. Except not, because that's just about the only theory shot down so far this thread.

So since to start, I had no real clue about anything, vague was pretty clearly the direction to go. But to clarify,

A) What makes a leader good?
B) Are the leaders of the world as 'not good' as they appear to me to be?
C) Do they have a choice in the matter (i.e., does their position force them to be as crap as they seem)?

G.K Zhukov 20 Jun 2005 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madina
I would post my opinion but i cba to read all the 'your such a prick' replies and rep.

Here, you can have mine: shut up faggot
anonymous ofc.

Radical Edward 20 Jun 2005 14:38

Mustafa Mond.

G.K Zhukov 20 Jun 2005 14:44

Quote:

Why Hugo?

I don't know anything about him except that he beat out one coup that was completely 100% unsponsored by the U.S. government and got re-elected.

1) For using the oil revenues to improve ordinarty citizens health care and education.
2) For refusing to give in to the usual pressure from the rich
3) For redistributing land to landless farmers
4) For putting his own country before the needs of USA

And Im all with T&F for the east-timor guy (who won the nobel peace price a few years ago).
Im also hoping for George Weah as president of Liberia.

djbass 20 Jun 2005 14:45

Hmm, well to be honest I'm perfectly happy with our existing local one, John Howard.

G.K Zhukov 20 Jun 2005 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbass
Hmm, well to be honest I'm perfectly happy with our existing local one, John Howard.

So what so fantastic about Howard? His support for U.S imperialism in Iraq, the way he plays on racism to gain votes or his efforts to redistribute as much wealth as posible into the hands of the top 5% of the population? :)

vampire_lestat 20 Jun 2005 15:02

I'm sure that's quite good if you happen to be in the top 5 percent or a U.S imperialist.

dda 20 Jun 2005 15:43

Quote:

So what so fantastic about Howard? His support for U.S imperialism in Iraq, the way he plays on racism to gain votes or his efforts to redistribute as much wealth as posible into the hands of the top 5% of the population? :)

You say this as if it were a bad thing! Speaking as an American Imperialist, racist in the tiop 5%, I will put Howard right up there with Bush.

Marilyn Manson 20 Jun 2005 15:58

Quote:

1) For using the oil revenues to improve ordinarty citizens health care and education.
2) For refusing to give in to the usual pressure from the rich
3) For redistributing land to landless farmers
4) For putting his own country before the needs of USA

I assume you can do all this without being an increasingly auhoritarian shit-head.

Nusselt 20 Jun 2005 16:05

Im with jaikri, the question is too open to be much use, but in order to say something

Quote:

A) What makes a leader good?
B) Are the leaders of the world as 'not good' as they appear to me to be?
C) Do they have a choice in the matter (i.e., does their position force them to be as crap as they seem)?

A) Ultimately, being the voice and will of your people - doing what they want

B) You are an american living in america and are used to living under the culture of america, those leaders (assuming they're elected or if not, 'populist' in vague terms) are the voice and will of their people. Those people live differently to you so it isn't really surprising that they are attracted by different people. Not good to you is good to them.

C) Once in power it is enevitable that a leader will 'lose touch' with the people, unless you're making the decisions theres always going to be someone who doesn't agree with them.

Nusselt 20 Jun 2005 16:10

Quote:

There seems to be a thing in the BBC for documentry teams to do fly on the important wall things in the last few years. They had a film crew inside the government whilst that coup was going on.

All i can say is south americans have no idea how to plan a proper uprising. Leaving the old place/presidential guards in place *tutut*.

edit/ apparently they were irish

Tactitus 20 Jun 2005 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nusselt
A) Ultimately, being the voice and will of your people - doing what they want

No, that's being a good follower--a populist.

Good leaders lead. That means taking a position (possibly unpopular) and--in a democracy--persuading the voters that it's the right thing to do. It means not changing your positions (or worse, pretending to change them) when there's an election in order to get/keep power.

Deepflow 20 Jun 2005 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactitus

Good leaders lead. That means taking a position (possibly unpopular) and--in a democracy--persuading the voters that it's the right thing to do. It means not changing your positions (or worse, pretending to change them) when there's an election in order to get/keep power.

i don't see how taking a random position and sticking to it makes someone a good leader.

Or even worse, taking a position which is in the interests of you and powerful corporate lobbyists across the world. Or possibly just being a charismatic crazy bastard "lo hitler" and then sticking to your policies.

I don't really see what on earth you're on about, just because someone has a position and sticks to it doesnt make them a good leader. It makes them stubborn.

ofc that CAN be good, but it rarely is.

Nusselt 20 Jun 2005 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacticus

The question was ambigious so I answered by saying ultimately leaders must be the will of the people, because in essence they must be. In a democratic system the most popular person gets the power, it is inherently about populism. The people aren't an uneducated mass that is on the verge of tearing itself apart but rather the architects of their destiny.

I don't buy into arguments that the political elite need to talk the people into anything, it assumes a relative chasm of sophistication between the politicians and the people which i just don't think exists.

Tactitus 20 Jun 2005 17:23

Quote:

i don't see how taking a random position and sticking to it makes someone a good leader.

I don't believe I said random, but whatever.
Quote:

Or even worse, taking a position which is in the interests of you and powerful corporate lobbyists across the world.
Nothing wrong with that, if (and this would have required reading my whole post so you probably missed it) you persuade the voters that it's the right thing to do.
Quote:

Or possibly just being a charismatic crazy bastard "lo hitler" and then sticking to your policies.
Hitler wasn't too big on democracy and his "persuasion" consisted of brownshirts beating up the opposition.
Quote:

I don't really see what on earth you're on about, just because someone has a position and sticks to it doesnt make them a good leader.
Well yes, in the sense that most people don't persuade (m)any other people that their position is correct. Haven't we already established that good leaders are a rare commodity?

Marilyn Manson 20 Jun 2005 17:43

If you're doing exactly what the people/your superiors/whatever other collective grouping want, in spite of your own convictions, then you're not a leader - you're a bureaucrat.

Gate 20 Jun 2005 17:50

Quote:

Or even worse, taking a position which is in the interests of you and powerful corporate lobbyists across the world. Or possibly just being a charismatic crazy bastard "lo hitler" and then sticking to your policies.

I don't really see what on earth you're on about, just because someone has a position and sticks to it doesnt make them a good leader. It makes them stubborn.

ofc that CAN be good, but it rarely is.

In a vague attempt, I am going to try and be intellectual and join a GD conversation. Even though this place hates me, and scares me. :(

I would say that a good leader is hard to describe on the basis that morality is subjective. However, my definition of a 'good leader' is one that takes policies that provides the 'greatest happiness for the greatest majority' within his own country and offers the same chances and rights for all citizens.

In foreign affairs, they will try to resolve disputes peacefully, not be driven only by greed, but will also step in with force if required in order to defend other nations or peoples from subjugation, persecution or from otherwise losing their rights.

They will also work to ensure that business and production is to suit the needs of the people and the environmnt (which, in the long term, will benefit the people). When they make a decision based on fulfilling these aims, they will then stick by this in so long as it fits these requirements (eg. if new information comes to light that a certain policy would cause greater damage it should be abandoned), and they should be able to persuade the populace to agree with their policies, and do everything possible to come through with what they have promised.

Unfortunately, running and maintaining a powerful state requires low morals and ruthless exploitation of others. Therefore, due to human nature, many world leaders will be shit.

Finally, my choice would be Hugo Chavez.

G.K Zhukov 20 Jun 2005 17:57

Quote:

I assume you can do all this without being an increasingly auhoritarian shit-head.

It's so easy labeling people isnt it. Specially without backing it up with any arguments. So where did you read that Chavez is such an autoritharian? The Sun? Its hardly your first one-liner is it.
Besides that, labeling is ofcourse fun. But it dont jugde people on their label, but what they actually do.
And for the record, Mr. Chavez didnt have resist to electoral fraud like George W. Bush. Even when the media was against him.

Marilyn Manson 20 Jun 2005 18:24

Quote:

It's so easy labeling people isnt it. Specially without backing it up with any arguments.

It's patently obvious to all but those who are blinded by a combination of hate for the US and ideology (Which is to say, people like you.) that Chavez is not the most committed person in the world to liberal democratic norms. Journalists frequently complain of harrasment, he has a professed admiration for Robert Mugabe, et al, his restrictions on media material which harms "the national interest", his own TV and Radio slots on the state network, etc. You begin to wonder how long a real democratic system in Venezuela will hold up; note I said increasingly.

Even so, his economic reforms have been largely inneffectual anyway. unemployment and inflation have increased dramatically, GDP has dropped, and that's surely not a good thing by any standard we choose. I think Venezuela has the potential to go much the same way as Zimbabwe and other such states - ruined on a pseudo-Socialist populist programme based around scapegoating of the evul forces of imperialism. I don't really see any need to hold him up as a master of political leadership.