Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car Insurance Explained (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196110)

Appocomaster 17 Feb 2008 19:51

Car Insurance Explained

I've just started work and I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any idea about how car insurance works and what sort I need.

I'm basically a consultant. I'm located in London, but I've been assigned (a couple of weeks ago) to a project in Ipswich.

Ideally (as it's far quicker), I'd like to drive from home (Kent) to the place in Ipswich, and then to the hotel (on Monday). I'll get a taxi back and forth for most of the week (if necessary), but on Friday morning i'll drive from the hotel to the site and then back home.

Do I therefore need business insurance? I'm likely to not spend much time in London and I get the train when I do go.

I can't find any description of what the different types are from a bit of time googling, but can anyone confirm one way or the other which insurance type I need?

<3

All Systems Go 17 Feb 2008 21:15

Re: Car Insurance Explained

Is the car yours or is it a company car?

At the end of the day, insurance companies just take your money.

Appocomaster 17 Feb 2008 21:17

mine (well, my dads but I drive it all the time and I'm going to be sorting it out in my name from now on)

All Systems Go 17 Feb 2008 21:19

Is business insurance more expensive?

Are you sure it's not just for businesses? ;)

Edit: Clearly, I have exhausted all my knowledge on insurance, despite owning a car for two years. I apologise for this post.

Alessio 17 Feb 2008 21:29

mMmm, i think you need the cheapest one.

Appocomaster 17 Feb 2008 21:34

the cheapest one? the private one I assume.
I assume business insurance is more expensive.

Ste 17 Feb 2008 21:51

if you want to claim mileage then strictly speaking you need business insurance.
It doesn't usually cost much and the per mile rate that your company will pay you should cover it anyway.

Ring your insurance company and ask them.

Game^ 18 Feb 2008 15:45

My understanding is that you need business insurance if you are making more journeys then home->work, work->home that are work related.

Your hotel would count as your ‘home’ while you are stopping there during the week. So as long as you aren’t carrying anything that you would want to claim for in a crash (laptop etc) you won’t need business insurance.

As a side note, a few insurance companies offer business insurance for a nominal cost, in short ring your insurance copy and ask them the cost.

Appocomaster 18 Feb 2008 15:53

ok. Apparently that's what I'm doing this weekend :(
Currently with co-op iirc. might have to change that.

Ste 18 Feb 2008 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game^
My understanding is that you need business insurance if you are making more journeys then home->work, work->home that are work related.

Your hotel would count as your ‘home’ while you are stopping there during the week. So as long as you aren’t carrying anything that you would want to claim for in a crash (laptop etc) you won’t need business insurance.

Ah but you also need to check whether you are covered for commuting or just "social, domestic and pleasure".

Insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying out.